close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Broken pin question

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by .45 guy, Jan 30, 2010.

1. .45 guy

.45 guy

Not sure why this happened. I had resized 600 .223 Rem. cases with my RCBS die. The pin and pin holder came off in the case. And the decapping rod was bent on the end where the pin and hold screws on.
    This is a full length die

2. n2extrm

n2extrm

Don't know the dies you are using, I use Redding. My thoughts, the pin came loose and got hung up, the pin just broke, the pin is miss adjusted for the case, or the crimped primer pocket was just too much for it. It is not uncomon to break a pin in a crimped case. It is also possible that the cases were mixed and the die or pin itself was not adjusted to the case that broke it.

3. .45 guy

.45 guy

The case was crimped. It was a Lake City, Actually the pin itself didn't break, that's the weird part. The whole decap holder and pin came off in the case and bent the stem. Like I said weird.

4. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

I've broken and bent too many decapping pins on crimped primer cases. I finally started decapping them by hand and I save the decapping pins in my dies for reloading non-crimped cases.

5. .45 guy

.45 guy

Yeah, I'm starting to think a Lee universal decapper. Then throw my RCBS in when I load.

6. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

That's the one that I have...or should I say 4. They advertise "unbreakable". :rofl: I bought the decapper/base set and then 3 additional decapper pins (they don't cost much). Lee will replace them in the 1st year, IIRC. I've broken 2 of them over the years. So I just figured for the price, I'll just get a few to ensure I don't get in a spot where I am stuck waiting on one.

Edit - 2 yr guarantee. Here's the decapper & base
    http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/cart.cgi?1264910991.1100=90103

And here is the additional pins ($2.50 ea)
    http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/parts.cgi?1264910991.1100=90103

One more edit:
    Here's what they advertise...so perhaps you can return them anytime. I'll call them Monday and find out. I've got a couple broken ones to send them.
    "Guaranteed unbreakable."

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  7. .45 guy

.45 guy

Lol, the unbreakable is what caught my eye. Still, doing it like you did makes sense.

8. dudel

dudel

Either use a Universal decapping die or a sizing die that has a collet arrangement to hold the rod (vs a screw in setup). That way the rod slides up when it can't punch the primer out. Hornady and Lee sizers (there may be others) have this feature, as does the Lee Universal decapping die.

9. .45 guy

.45 guy

If I may ask, You guys that use a universal decapper, is it much hassle switching sizing, decapper? (Not as much as breaking pins huh)

10. n2extrm

n2extrm

I have used one I put it on my rockchucker and deprimed them, then swaged the pockets and ran them on the dillon or back on the rc if I was loading for a bolt gun in a small batch. I hated the whole crimped brass process, but it comes with the beast. You only have to do it the first time after that you can run them like every thing else.

11. dudel

dudel

Putting the decapper on is easy. No real adjustments. Run the ram up, screw the die down till it almost touches the shell holder, tighten things down. Easy.

12. sourdough44

sourdough44

I use an RCBS universal decapper when I want to deprime quickly & tumble without lube, cleaning & resize. It works fine. Also if you call RCBS & ask nicely I'm sure they would send you the stuff to get your die back in operation.

13. .45 guy

.45 guy

Yeah, I've dealt with their customer service. They are top notch.

14. BigDog[RE]

BigDog[RE] NRA Member

Call RCBS, they will send you the parts to fix your die. They have first class customer service.