close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Broken guide rod cause damage to barrel lug?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by WhistlerSWE, Apr 23, 2012.

1. WhistlerSWE

WhistlerSWE

Can 1 be the cause of the damage seen on 2?

I don't like broken stuff so I bought 3. It is a Wolff 19lb spring for this Gen 3 Glock 21 with IGB 10mm Auto barrel. With the large spring for the non captive steel guide rod came a smaller spring. Is this for Gen 4 and can be ignored for Gen 3?

[​IMG]

2. WhistlerSWE

WhistlerSWE

I thought this would be an easy one for the Glock gurus?
    The damage on the factory guide rod seems to be pretty common...

3. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Why is that rsa all white?

4. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

I hope I am reading this right, 1 shouldn't/most likey wasn't caused by 2 if your 2 marking/number in red was on the opposite end of the barrel lug and had damage on it then maybe but you could have just gotten a defective part. I would call Glock and check with them but these guide rods survive very well. The only one I can recall seeing breaking was in a 1000 round G19 torture test and the rod melted and shot out the gun but the spring was still intact and the gun kept firing.

Im putting my money on defective part. Call Glock.

:50cal:

5. WhistlerSWE

WhistlerSWE

I've seen plenty of people getting the guide rod broken like in 1 on the photo. My question is if the broken guide rod is the cause of the marks/chips on the barrel lug marked 2. The barrel is an aftermarket part from IGB (Impulse Gun Barrels).

6. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

The broken guide rod, broken through improper reassembly, did not cause the wear in #2. Can't say much for the poor quality of the aftermarket barrel.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  7. MarcDW

MarcDW MDW Guns Millennium Member

The wear on the RSA is common, that's one reason Glock recommends to exchange them at 5K.
    Without having the gun here I can't really can say anything about the wear on the #2.
    So if you like to ship it here, as the IGB Austria importer (even if this barrel was not sold through MDW Guns) I'll be happy to check it out.

8. voyager4520

voyager4520

No, a broken guide rod base will not cause the wear to the barrel lug that you pointed out.

Are you putting a drop of oil into the gap between those two lugs? Lack of lubrication in that spot may cause the wear you're seeing.

Glock lubrication points: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/Farmer72/lube.jpg

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  9. cciman

cciman

Guide rod has nothing to do with #2. #2 looks used, but what I see in the photo would be irrelevant to the function of the gun, not a big deal, nor worth sending to Glock-- this is the part that contacts the front of the locking block. Examine the locking block to see if there is any wear on it. The gun looks very filthy. I suspect a piece of foreign material got caught in between the barrel and the locking block.

How many rounds through this gun and when did you last clean it.

10. WhistlerSWE

WhistlerSWE

MarcDW: Thank you, but I am located in Sweden.

voyager4520: Yes, I follow their lubrication guide.

cciman: When this picture was taken it had shot about 50 rounds after being cleaned the last time. I always clean my guns when I get home from the range. It has gone through about a rough 500 rounds in total since I bought it. Previous owner only used the .45 ACP barrel in it and said he had fired it 200 rounds.

11. sgtlmj

sgtlmj NRA Life Member Millennium Member

The guide rod is broken because it was not properly seated into the reassembly notch on the barrel prior to reassembly.

If you take the slide off without disassembling it further, you must ensure that you push the guide rod back into the reassembly notch before returning the slide to the frame.

12. MarcDW

MarcDW MDW Guns Millennium Member

I take that is Sweden Europe and not Sweden Maine!?
    Too bad, because Sweden Maine is 5km from me!

Anyway, your 20 looks like it has seen some use.
    I would change out the "Firing Pin Safety" and "Firing Pin Safety Spring" (part # 9 & 10).
    I talked to IGB and some other Glock guys knowing more them myself and the wear on the barrel is normal.
    Matter a fact you will find the same on Glock barrels.