close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Broken Glock Frame Rail

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Forge, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Forge

Forge

OK. I was looking for a sidearm for when I'm working on my property. We have a pig problem out there, and a little self defense for a surprise would be nice. I have plenty of handguns, but I wanted something that already had some scuffing on it so that I wouldn't get ticked if I scratch or scuff it up while working. This last gun show I bought a 2nd Gen Glock 22 for $299 plus tax. The serial number is BTZ***. He had several to choose from. It came with almost new night sights, NY1 spring, and 1 LEO mag. I bought 2 more LEO mags with new springs for 10 bucks each. There was minor holster wear on it, but so what? This is a work gun.

I take it home, and since it was pretty dry I took it down to clean and oil it, and what did I find? As you're looking from the top, the rear, right frame rail is half missing. The front of the frame rail is missing as you can see from the attached pic. I've heard good stories about Glock's warranty service. I have owned several Glocks in the past and have never had a problem before. I'm not sure if I'd ever see the guy from the show again, and I'd rather see if Glock could refurbish this for me. Can anyone point me in the right direction of how I should proceed with this? Thanks.

2. SecurityTrainer

SecurityTrainer

Forge, from the Glock website:

GLOCK, Inc.
    6000 Highlands Parkway
    Smyrna, GA 30082
    U.S.A.
    Tel.: +1 770 - 432 1202
    Fax: +1 770 - 433 8719

www.glock.com

Here ya go. Good picture BTW. If you can find the person who sold you the Glock I would start there, if not get a hold of Glock directly.

Does TX have an “Instant Check” law for gun shows, in other words was a check run on the SN# of the pistol, no negative intent just curious.

Keep us posted on how it's going.

Respectfully,

3. Forge

Forge

I have a CHL, so no instant check was necessary on me. I just filled out the form. As far as the pistol SN# goes, I don't know what a FFL holder must do when he receives or sells a pistol. The gentleman had several G22's with the same prefix. I assume they were LE trade-ins. There was no department stamping on them.

In Texas there is no check required when purchasing from an individual. When purchasing from a FFL holder, you first must fill out the form, then the phone call is made where you will either be approved, put on a hold status, or denied. If you have a CHL, you do not need to go through the phone call because you have already gone through a more thorough background check than the average police cadet in order to be approved for the CHL.

4. SecurityTrainer

SecurityTrainer

Forge,

Right On! I was just curious. If you have the Glock Box the G-22 came in (probably not) the sticker will be BLUE if it was an LE gun. I think a factory Re-Furbished sticker will be RED. Not Sure on that one. WHITE is for commercial/retail (FWI).

Contact Glock with the info you have from my first post, and keep us updated.

Respectfully,

5. Forge

Forge

ST,
    No, I didn't get a box with it. I will keep you guys notified of how this goes. I will be calling Glock Monday morning.

6. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Have you checked the list of Glocks with the defective frame rails? My wife had one in good shape and Glock gave her a new frame because her serial number was in the range of the defective ones.

7. anyplainjoe

anyplainjoe Nobody special.

Where is that list posted?

8. coverdog

coverdog Platinum Member

Did you not get a reciept?

9. Glockrunner

Glockrunner HOOYA DEEPSEA

You can call Glock about the Rails @ 866-225-4098.

I broke the front ones by not changing out the recoil spring often enough. They replaced my frame whith a new one. Of course the serial number no longer match but really that isn't a big deal to me as I intend to own this firearm until I am deceased.

How I did this. Took my firearm to a reputable dealer/gunsmith that has a Federal Firearms License (FFL) and he mailed (USPO)it to GLOCK. Inside with the gun I placed a letter explaining my situation and also gave them my contact infor and address.

I wanted for a week and a half. Called the number above, and my gun was mailed to me USPO (wife had to sign for it) a couple days later.

The new frame came with all new parts. The firing pin and extractor componets were all replaced with new and the gun was cleaned.

What more could I ask for!

10. Dandapani

Dandapani

His is a Bxx, not an Exx, where the frame rail upgrades are clustered (and not all Exx's are affected).

11. Forge

Forge

**Update**

I sent off the pistol UPS next day saver to Glock which set me back almost 50 bucks including insurance. I included a letter asking them if they would go through everything while it is there. I called Glock and they told me that the frame has been replaced and the pistol would be shipping out yesterday (Friday). It was sent UPS overnight, so I will be staying home from work on Monday to receive it.

I will let you all know more when I see it.

12. mopac

mopac

Now I'm a little upset. I bought a G19 at a show about a month ago and it looks absolutely brand new but I just read a few posts back from Security Trainer that it is a factory re-furbished gun cause it has a red label on the case. Didn't the seller have to disclose this information to me, instead of assuming I knew what a red label was?

13. GSD17

GSD17 Thread Killer

White = 10 round mags, my refurb was in a white sticker box
    Red = full cap mags
    Blue = LE sold gun, doesnt mean ALL glocks used in LE are blue labels

14. SecurityTrainer

SecurityTrainer

GSD1,

"I think a factory Re-Furbished sticker will be RED... .Not Sure on that one"

thank you for the label clarification!

"mopac" looks like GSD17 cleared the sticker info up. Your new gun is NEW it would appear, sorry for any confusion.

Respectfully,

15. Forge

Forge

*UPDATE*

My Glock arrived this afternoon. I am pleased. Not only was the frame replaced with a new 3rd gen frame, let's just say that the only things original on my Glock are the slide, barrel, and sights. Everything was replaced internaly! They installed a LCI extractor also. I even shipped the 3 LEO high caps that I got with it and I got all new high cap mags in exchange for the old ones!

The frame has a different serial number on it than the original, but so what? I'm not looking for resale value. I bought this for a working ranch gun. If I was concerned about the looks, then I would have paid 50 bucks for Glock to refinish the slide and barrel. But then again, like I said, I was looking for something that I wouldn't get upset when it got scratched.

Glock's warranty department did me right.

One last question, does anyone know when Glock started doing the 15 degree cut on the slides? I don't remember if mine had it prior to shipping, but it does now.

16. Glockrunner

The best way to determine the refurbished gun is by the stamped "7" in the frame. This is stamped on the inside of the frame near/above the serial number area.

If the frame has this "7" stamped in it the prevoius owner may have not known it's meaning, just like you.

17. anyplainjoe

anyplainjoe Nobody special.

A factory refurb is better than a used, if that is what you're concerned about.

18. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

Not necessarily. What if that factory refurb is one of those police department returns because they didn't work right? Glock may simply go through and replace all the internals, and put it back on the market, without even test firing it. At least my rebuild didn't have a new test fired case in the box when I bought it. The dealer said rebuilds don't come with them, and the other rebuild he had on the shelf didn't have them in the case either.

19. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

One thing to keep in mind. Glock didn't always use a 7, they used to use an asterisk mark and I believe one or two other marks also.

20. Glockrunner

This was explained to me by a Glock armorer so I must have gotten all the scoop, I'll check that out, thanks.