Broken Gen 4 19 after less than 400 rounds...

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by DaninTexas, Apr 29, 2012.

Tags:
  1. DaninTexas

DaninTexas

This is my first Glock. Also my most expensive hand gun. Fired 200 rounds the first week I got it and loved it. Fit perfectly in my hand and I was pretty happy.

Yesterday took it to the range again and put 200 more rounds down range and had some more fun.

This morning I pulled it out to clean it - pulled from my IWB holster - dropped mag - emptied the chamber - pulled the trigger and the slide assembly slid right off the gun. :shocked:

That is when I noticed the take down buttons on both side were missing.

So much for Glock quality. Forgive me - but I am royally pissed right now. :steamed:

2. Bruce M

Bruce M

Wow - Sounds like maybe the slide lock was put in the wrong way.

3. DaninTexas

DaninTexas

This possible from the factory? I never took it out

4. Bruce M

Bruce M

Anything is possible but were I to bet I would bet it might be more likely done at the gun shop. I guess it is also possible the slide lock broke. If you see something floating around that looks like this grab onto it:

[​IMG]

5. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

You can call Glock and ask for tech support on Monday for help. The parts you'll need (from the exploded Gen4 parts diagram I'm looking at) are:

#20 - Slide lock spring (SP 08073)
    #21 - Slide lock (SP 00301)

Those are their part numbers off my Armorer's form FRM-72-27.pdf

I had the same thing happen to my on one of my G19 Gen4 pistols last year, and was told by Glock that the wrong spring was probably installed at the factory.

I asked for two of those on the call...good luck with the repair. It's pretty straight forward.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  6. DaninTexas

DaninTexas

Thanks guys. Yeah that slide lock is no where to be found. I must of lost it at the range. When I was done shooting - I dropped my defensive round mag back into the gun and then put it into my holster. Never left till this morning.

Will call Glock tomorrow and see about getting the lock and spring.

Looks like I carry my Kel Tec PF9 till then.

7. 125K9

125K9

Certainly not trying to be combative, just curious. Am I understanding you right, at least 400 rounds expended with no additional lubrication beyond what the factory applied? You never even broke the pistol down to check for obstructions or anything like that?

8. DaninTexas

DaninTexas

Cleaned and inspected before shooting.

Fired 200

Cleaned and inspected

Carried a week in a IWB holster

Fired not quite 200

Put back into holster

Pulled out this morning for cleaning. - Missing the slide stop. I never pulled the slide stop out of the weapon. It was as is position when I bought it new.

9. BrianNH

BrianNH

There were issues with earlier Gen 4 compacts with bad slide lock springs, I know, I had a couple. Needless to say, once you replace the slide lock and spring, you'll be GTG.

10. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Parts DO actually break,.....even on Glocks.

Sux you had the problem. Any marks on the slide?

11. voyager4520

voyager4520

Some of the early production Gen4 G19's had weak slide lock springs. The slide lock could fall out, and the slide could fall off the frame when you dry fire.

Inspect the slide for damage, check to make sure that the part of the slide that the guide rod fits into isn't bent or cracked. Check also to make sure that the slide rails haven't been bent or cracked inward.

If it doesn't look damaged, call Glock tomorrow. They'll usually send you a new slide lock spring and slide lock. Sometimes they'll tell you to find a local Glock Armorer to do it for you, or they'll tell you to send it in to them, if they do I'd ask for a prepaid shipping label, they may not give you one but it's worth asking.

If you want to replace the slide lock and slide lock spring yourself, only glockparts.com currently sells the slide lock spring. The Gen4 compact models use a unique slide lock spring. If the slide lock spring is still in the frame, take note of how it's oriented so you know how to install the new one. Make sure when installing the slide lock that the smaller tab faces up, and the groove in the smaller tab faces away from the muzzle.
    [​IMG]

Gen4 G19 slide lock spring: http://glockparts.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=296241&CAT=741
    Slide lock: http://glockparts.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=7288&CAT=732

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  12. Radian

Radian

Was it new sealed in the case when you purchased it or loose under the counter where random primates could handle it?

Good news is the part that fell off is around the price of a case of Olympia beer.. My bet is they send it to you for free.

13. DaninTexas

DaninTexas

Okay all is fixed. There was a local range that had a Glock armorer there.

According to her - the slide lock spring was installed upside down.

She fixed it and installed a new slide lock part and I am ready to go again.

$5 out the door.

For the record it was in the counter where I bought it. Test fire date of 4/6/12.

Will clean it up - and take it to the range later this week and try to break it again.

14. Genin

Genin 19k & 11b

I had the same issue with a faulty spring on my Gen 4 19 I used to have. Glock replaced the parts for me. Mine would only falsely disengage when a light was attached.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYqOc_Fld5Q"]Glock TLR-1 Failure - YouTube[/ame]

This was when the Gen4s were relatively new.

15. Bruce M

Bruce M

I'm glad to hear ypour G19 is up and presumably running again. I guess I could live with five dollars especially if I also got my other slide lock back from the store.

16. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

:rofl: :animlol::animlol:

17. abcomputin

abcomputin

I don't see how it could have been upside down. I don't doubt she said that, but how?

18. ca survivor

ca survivor

It's scary to look at that small part, even looks like made of stamp aluminum and that is what holds barrel and slide

19. ca survivor

ca survivor

yes, I'm thinking the same thing is an L shaped spring, short part goes into frame and the other on the frame channel

20. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

The slide lock spring only fits one way, but the slide lock may be installed backwards. Chances are the slide lock spring broke.

Correct number for a Gen4 G19 slide lock spring is SP-08073.