Broken G23 Spacer Sleeve....

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Hunng, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Hunng

Hunng

Hello all...ive been reading this forum for a few months and finally got registered...great forum, so much info here...sorry for this being my 1st post...onto my problem(s)...

I got a G23, used, in great shape about 5 months ago...shot about 300 rds thru it, never had 1 problem or malfunction...i field strip and clean after every range trip and detail strip and clean the firing pin channel every other trip.

I came from the range the other day, it was detail strip time...and i found this: [​IMG]

I was horrified, i dont know how it happened...so i called Glock (even tho i live 10 min from Smryna) i called them and the armorer told me he couldnt send me a replacement part because it was a liability part and pointed me to OMB Express....so i ordered the sleeve, $2.40 shipped, not bad....All is well with the G23 now.

However, i also have a G17, and just being curious, i took it down and found the exact same cracked spacer sleeve...cracked in the same spot and everything! Ordered a new one and its fine now.

2 questions: Anybody know how this is happening? Also, should i have just driven the pistol to Glock and let them look at it? if so, would it have been a free fix? Thx so much!

2. Hunng

Hunng

Sorry for the double posts guys...i didnt know it took a day or so for the thread to be accepted.

3. RBL525

RBL525

I would have taken it to glock, If you are 10 minutes away, they will check it out for free. They might even replace some of the other internals that are starting to look worn.

either way, 2.40 is probably about what you would have spent on gas. either way is about the same. I just wish i was close enough to Glock to just stop by.

4. FLglockdude

FLglockdude

I would still return it to them.

They will go through it and might spot something else that is wrong because that shouldn't be happening.

I'm in Marietta BTW :wavey:

5. AustinTx

AustinTx

I don't believe that pistol will ever malfunction, with that cracked channel liner. It's all inside the steel slide, isn't it?

Doesn't mean I wouldn't replace it, I just don't believe it will stop the gun.

6. Markasaurus

Markasaurus

Maybe not - but what if it broke in two inside there though -

7. AustinTx

AustinTx

How does 1 person happen to get 2 Glock pistols with cracked spacer sleeves? What are the odds? This is the first time I've ever heard of it, has anyone else?

8. Hunng

Hunng

Thats exactly why i made this post...all i can think of is the way i take the tension off the backplate with the glock tool or the sheer number of times ive done it...

Ive replaced about every part on both pistols when i 1st got them as they were both police trades, so no need for glock to go thru them replacing worn springs and such...wish i would have found this forum earlier and knew glock usually goes thru the pistols and replaces all that stuff for free, i would have surely brought them to Glock...thx for the replies guys.

9. HiredGun77

HiredGun77

That is not a common break. In fact it's the first time I have ever seen it except from improper assembly when changing a striker spring. It looks like it was stressed to the side during assembly. I keep a spare or two on hand but in two years as an armorer I have yet to have to replace one. Once it is in the gun this part has no stress. If It happens again I would surely take it to have Glock inspect it.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  10. bentbiker

bentbiker

Channel liner is not the same part as the spacer sleeve.

OP, are you cleaning that channel and/or the striker assembly with solvent? Why are you detail stripping every other time you fire the gun?

11. AustinTx

AustinTx

That's what I'm thinking. This is strange.

12. Hunng

Hunng

I dunno why exactly, just cleaning it i guess...no solvent inside firing pin channel or on the spring or anything...i just brush away debris with toothbrush and wipre down with clean rag...i use a pipe cleaner style brush for inside of channel...

Im really starting to think just detail stripping so much and how sometimes my glock tool gets pinched in there between the sleeve and the channel once i relieve pressure off the back plate is causing the cracks....i will back off cleaning so much and check after several range trips.

13. mymini40

mymini40

Had you taken it to Glock Smyrna they would have inspected it, then replaced the part for free. C'mon, its 10 min. away. When I got my G27, it came with a fixed rear sight.I wrote Glock and asked for an adjustable rear sight and they sent it free w/o charging my CC. Hows that for service? Oh, and along with it, a handfull of rear and front sights.

14. Hunng

Hunng

yeah i should have mymini, i will in the future for sure...

15. AustinTx

AustinTx

I do know the difference, thanks anyhow.

All you are accomplishing with all that detail stripping is the possibility, of enlarging the holes for the 3 pins holding the gun together. I'm surprised that some enterprising young man hasn't started selling those Glock pins slightly over-sized. Sort of like folks boring out their engine block and installing over-sized pistons/rings.

I guess you could always have your original pins plated with something to make it slightly larger.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  16. Hunng

Hunng

Im sorry, i should clarify, when i say detail stripping, im not taking the tripper pin, and those other 2 down as if to take everything out of the frame...just the backplate off and the firing pin, firing pin safety, extractor and extractor plunger out of the slide, and cleaning that stuff....

17. AustinTx

AustinTx

Hunng
    Thanks for the clarification. You can hold the firing pin safety button in and shake the slide vigorously. If you can hear the firing pin rattling, you shouldn't need to clean it. That's the tinka-tinka test.

18. Hunng

Hunng

Yep thx, i just learned this little "test" the other day....

19. vmann

vmann Controller

really, do we have any reported cases of over detail stripped pistols with pins that dont stay put??? i cant remember ever hearing of one in the 20 years that i have been around glocks...

20. AustinTx

AustinTx

MAYBE. Have you heard everything about Glock in your 20 years?

Are you expecting one?

I've never seen so much overreaction on this board, to any idle comment.

Now that you have verified your superior knowledge of everything Glock, I'm done here.