Glock Talk banner

Broke Front Night Sight Screw During Install.

14K views 31 replies 21 participants last post by  MrV 
#1 ·
So today I finally decided I was going to install my set of Meprolight Night Sights on my G36. I went to the hardware store, picked up a 3/16 hex screw driver and a little bottle of blue Loctite. The rear sight install went great, almost too perfect. I drove the plastic, stock rear right out with a wooden dowel and a hammer. Then I slid the steel rear sight in, and carefully set it in place with the hammer and dowel.

I felt great having made it thus far, figuring the worst was over. I put a drop of loctite on the screw, and spread it around evenly with a Q-tip. Then I screwed the sight on with my hand and used my screw driver to do the rest. I tightened the sight just to the point when it seemed to be snug.

However when I went to insert my barrel, I noticed that the raised hex screw wasn't allowing it to seat properly. The slide would not seat correctly on the frame. So I striped the gun again and figured all it needed was another half turn or so...Well I gave it a slight turn and *snap* the threads snapped inside the front sight leaving only the hex portion of the screw.:steamed:

The front sight is completely FUBAR, what should I do?

#2 · (Edited)
The G36s are different in the clearance that is available for hex nut front sights, at least the earlier ones are. Generally speaking, you have to file down the hex nut to approximately 1/2 it's original thickness b-4 the barrel will clear it. I've done a couple of them and this worked for me, but there is not much left to grab with the driver. I've heard the latest G36s have more clearance, but I don't know that 1st hand.

#3 · (Edited)
The locktight may have locked too tight.

Knock it out with a punch or dowel. Call up Mepro and see if they will send you a replacement, for free. Otherwise SOL- buy a front sight.

Next one, check the thread engagement before committing to the locktight. And or have someone else install and bear the liability.

All of mine are staked with a Glock staking tool + red locktight, and they work great. Good luck.

#5 ·
The G36s are different in the clearance that is available for hex nut front sights, at least the earlier ones are. Generally speaking, you have to file down the hex nut to approximately 1/2 it's original thickness b-4 the barrel will clear it. I've done a couple of them and this worked for me, but there is not much left to grab with the driver. I've heard the latest G36s have more clearance, but I don't know that 1st hand.
Yep, I ran into the same prob with an early model G36 a few years ago. I had to dremel down the hex head a bit to properly clear the barrel.

#7 ·
Damnit...I should have read up more on installing sights specially for the 36 before attempting.

Now I have a carry weapon without sights.

An easyout bit would have to be as thing as a paper clip...But I appreciate the thought none the less

#12 ·
I too would think you could drill the broken screw out & then try an use a bigger drill bit or pick to remove the broken stud..
Some heat with a soldering iron might help soften the loctite while your trying to remove the stud or a couple drops of acetone to help wash it away..
GOOD LUCK!

I was so easy when tightening my last one. About an inch pound or less..

#18 ·
1.) The threads on front sights are so small that you'll never drill it straight & centered enough for an EZ-out unless you have a milling machine.

2.) Even if you have a milling machine, they don't make EZ-outs that small.

3.) Even if they did make EZ-outs that small, one of them would cost more than a new front sight does.

4.) Even if you had a non existent EZ-out, and got it for free, you could earn the money to buy a new front sight in less time than it would take to do this kind of tedious work on something so small. You'd have to mill off the broken end perfectly flat & center drill it first, or you couldn't drill it straight even with a milling machine. I know because I'm an expert at using a milling machine from when I was a tool & die maker.

Just buy a new front sight and consider it a lesson learned about tightening such small screws.

#19 ·
1.) The threads on front sights are so small that you'll never drill it straight & centered enough for an EZ-out unless you have a milling machine.

2.) Even if you have a milling machine, they don't make EZ-outs that small.

3.) Even if they did make EZ-outs that small, one of them would cost more than a new front sight does.

4.) Even if you had a non existent EZ-out, and got it for free, you could earn the money to buy a new front sight in less time than it would take to do this kind of tedious work on something so small. You'd have to mill off the broken end perfectly flat & center drill it first, or you couldn't drill it straight even with a milling machine. I know because I'm an expert at using a milling machine from when I was a tool & die maker.

Just buy a new front sight and consider it a lesson learned about tightening such small screws.
That is more or less what I'm going to do...It would have never happened if I read up on sight installation specifically for the G36. I had no idea I needed to sand the head of the head so that it would fit.

Oh well, pissed money down the drain.

#20 ·
MrV

Do not try to drill out the screw. Put the Glock sight back on and contact
Meprolight.
Be nice, explain what happened & ASK if they will help you with this.
They will bend over backwards to help

#21 ·
After you install the stock sight back on, call Meprolight and tell them the problem.

Send the affected sight back to Mep, and let this board know the outcome.

I believe they will make it right.

Dont try any "fixes", it will only get worse.

#22 ·
Damnit...I should have read up more on installing sights specially for the 36 before attempting.

Now I have a carry weapon without sights.

If you can hit a paper plate at 21ft, your gun will still hit a paper plate @ 21ft. Sights really are over rated for carry guns. The overwhelming majority of gunfights do not involve sights. Sights are more for training than anything else.

...and before the "25 yard shot" folks chime in...I group 6" with my Ruger LCP, and hit a 6" gong 10/10 times with a sightless Glock, at 75 feet (25 yards).

'Drew

#23 ·
(This is ironic for the few of you who just posted, but please read!)

So about 30 minutes after my mess up, I calmed down over a glass of whiskey and attempted to contact Meprolight. They were closed at the time, so I figured that I would send them an e-mail. Now, I knew this was a prayer in the dark but it never hurts to try...so I typed up a polite and respectful e-mail. I didn't claim that anything was defective, or that I was dissatisfied...I told them the truthful full story.

(I had my e-mail open so here it is verbatim.)

"Hello, and thank you for taking the time to read and reply to this email.

Just today I was installing my Meprolight Night Sights for my Glock 36. I followed all of the included directions and worked carefully to ensure that my product wouldn't be unintentionally damaged. However, when I moved onto installing the front sight, I tightened the front hex screw and out of no where it completely snapped inside the front sight. There wasn't any excessive force involved, I couldn't have applied more than 5 pounds of resistance.

Therefore the purpose of this email is to inquire about how I might go about getting this issue resolved. I saved the broken hex screw and the front sight, placing it back into the original bag. Please let me know what can be done.

Thank you,"

Well today I woke up to discover that my e-mail had been replied too...Shocked by the quick response, I nearly spilled my coffee when I got to the end of it.

The reply stated:

"
Mr Venneri
Please send your address and I will get a new front sight sent out to you. You can return the damaged front with the packing slip that will come with the new sight.
Best regards

Kerry Kinder
Product Mgr.
Meprolight"

WOW! How is that for customer service?!:woohoo:

I immediately replied with the requested information and informed him of the lifelong customer he had just made.

So there you have it folks, if you're in the market for a set of night sights, don't gamble on your quality assurance, go with the sure thing, go Meprolight!

#24 · (Edited)
However when I went to insert my barrel, I noticed that the raised hex screw wasn't allowing it to seat properly. The slide would not seat correctly on the frame. So I striped the gun again and figured all it needed was another half turn or so...Well I gave it a slight turn and *snap* the threads snapped inside the front sight leaving only the hex portion of the screw.:steamed:

The front sight is completely FUBAR, what should I do?
This is a very common problem with the G36. Most front-sight screws for Glocks have a screw head that is too thick for the G36's smaller dimensions. Some people have removed material from the head of the screw so that it doesn't rub on the barrel, but you have to be very careful not to make the head too thin.

I don't know if Meprolight has a thinner-head screw, so they might be sending you a replacement of the same one you had in the first place.

#25 ·
Great. It's nice to hear about good customer service.
Now, when you install the front sight, do it the way you did and use the red lock tite.
Let it dry overnight.
Then dremmel with a fine sanding drum on the rear portion of the hex head.
It usually doesn't require the whole thing to be sanded.
I only had to do the rear half.
A little at a time and put the barrel in to test.
When the barrel goes in without any resistance you probably have it.
I shot a bunch of rounds quickly to heat the barrel up and see if it contacted the heax head due to expansion. It did not.
But a good test before you consider it ready for carry.
Make sure the front site is straight before the lock tite dries.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.