Broke Dancin'

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by GWSHARK, Feb 23, 2010.

1. GWSHARK

GWSHARK BITEYAHEADOFF

Police: Dancing teen's belt buckle gouges floor

CHEEKTOWAGA, N.Y. (AP) -- Police said they've arrested a teenager who caused thousands of dollars in damage to a western New York home's hardwood floor by break dancing on it while wearing a large diamond belt buckle.

Erie County Sheriff Timothy B. Howard said the 18-year-old apparently was intoxicated when he arrived at a house party held by the victim's daughters in Elma, a small town just east of Buffalo. He said when the teen repeatedly tried to break dance he gouged the floor and caused about $3,000 worth of damage.

Police said the victim was on vacation at the time.

A sheriff's deputy arrested the teen Sunday night at his home in neighboring Cheektowaga, a Buffalo suburb.

The teen faces a felony criminal mischief charge and a misdemeanor trespassing charge. He's been jailed pending arraignment.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2010-02-22-16-44-43

2. spdski

spdski CLM

3. GWSHARK

GWSHARK BITEYAHEADOFF

is that trespassing charge going to stick?

4. spdski

spdski CLM

I think there would be questions of proof. I think you'd have to prove he knew that the party was against the wishes of the property owner and that he was not supposed to be there.

I think we are missing some info. The charge is probably a result of some other issue, otherwise they would be going civil. Maybe at some point in the past the dad told the break dancing kid he was not allowed near his daughter or at the house? In that case, the trespassing should stick fine.

5. Patchman

Patchman Florist

From the article it sounds more like the victim's 18 yo daughter had a party without the parents' permission and the party spiraled out of control (such fond memories :)). With the scratched up floor, she now suddenly had to backpaddle and claim she told everyone to leave but they refused, for the dancin' fool to stop doing that and he refused, etc... Good thing he didn't have sex with her that night or he'd be facing rape charges too.

Ah, to be young and intoxicated again...

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  6. Tactical black

Tactical black

7. blueiron

blueiron

My guesstimate is that the daughter is a minor and cannot provide consent, thus the trespassing charge.

He sounds like the life of any par-tay!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  8. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

As far as I know, minors can consent to have people come over the house. They just can't do anything else that is illegal for them such as have sex or consume alcohol. CA is strange though in that respect that minors can consume alcohol as long as they are inside the house with the parents, which I guess is made for families that drink together at dinner or something.

I think the daughter is backpedaling to not get in more trouble with the dad, sorta like how the girlfriend claims rape by the third guy so her boyfriend doesn't think she cheated on him.

As for the floor gouging, PSGWSP.

9. Gangrel

Gangrel

I don't think any of those charges would fly here. At most, maybe a reckless damage ticket.