broadband--how fast is it really??

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by cassandra, Apr 5, 2007.

1. cassandra

cassandra

This is driving me crazy. My cable co. says they provide up to 8Gbps download speeds. But when I click on the wireless icon (or whatever it is)in the lower right of the screen it says 100 Mbps. When I'm using the laptop it says 54 Mbps, because of the router I have, or sometimes 48Mbps or even 36.

So how can it say any of those speeds if max is 8Mbps? I've talked to support a couple times and what they say makes no sense.

2. chbix

chbix

8Gbps?

G as in Giga?

mine is rocking a 6 mega and thats the fastest around.

I think that may be wrong but assuming your correct on

the issue here is different in terminology.

There is MBps and Mbps, note the difference in the capitilization of the B.

Check out http://compnetworking.about.com/od/basicnetworkingconcepts/l/bldef_kbps.htm

The other issue is that just because your cable company says your getting x, doesnt always mean your getting that, it could be burst speeds meaning that during idea conditions it may get to that, etc, also is your NIC card gigabyte rated? I know there are some out there, but the most common are fast NIC cards that are running at 100 Mbps, which i think is the case here.

I am curious where you are and what cable company is offering this.

Looking again at your post your running wireless, and wireless cards cant get up to those speeds, wired will be faster every time.

3. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

4. cassandra

cassandra

I forgot about that site, thanks.

Of course I meant cable promised me 8Mbps not Gbps.I was actually "complaining" that I got more bandwidth than I was promised. I wanted to figure out whether I would notice the difference with 1.5Mbps DSL when I went back to it.

I switched back to DSL because the cable email app was so bad and I need to use it by browser when away from home to send emails to a club I'm in. Cable mail server thinks I'm spamming.

Sooo, I just spent 90 minutes on the support call from Hell with a highly trained robot in Bangalore..just so I can use MSN mail's address book again.

Lord I miss American tech support! :steamed:

5. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

8mbs Download maybe 15% of that upload.
    Download speeds are always faster than upload speeds.

Yes your Wireless is going to connect at 54Mbs because thats all your wireless card will allow you to connect at.

Your Network is 100mbs because your equipment runs at that speed.

If you had a 10mb switch it would say in the lower right hand corner you are connected at 10mbs.

I will never go back to DSL if I can help it. I am more than satisfied with my Comcast cable setup.

Also remember just because Comcast is in your neighborhood does not mean they initially installed or wired your neck of the woods. It was wired with the lowest wage workers a previous company could find.

As far as email is concerned Hotmail, Yahoo and Gmail work fine for me.

6. kimigirl

kimigirl

I've been very happy with my DSL. With any rate the company promises, that is a maximum rate. With DSL and cable, that number can go down depending on how many people are on at any given time, your hardware and several other factors. Also there are different rates for upload vs. download.

7. cassandra

cassandra

OK I understand about the equipment speed now...that's the info I was looking for..we don't have Comcast in this area.

I had a huge address book in MSN mail but it looks like the Hotmail version of it can't be edited now. If I weren't trying to manage large email groups it wouldn't matter what email I used.

I can't tell the diff in speeds now that I'm back on DSL but I'm not downloading movies or anything either.

8. danielackerman

danielackerman

if your still on dial-up, your getting ripped off. some dsl packages go for as low as $12 a month. dsl is at the very least 15x faster. that means much faster response in web surfing and 15x faster downloads, updates, and video streaming.

9. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Not everywhere has DSL or cable.I have DSL from the phone company.I sometimes still use free dial up and it's plenty fast for web surfing and email.The broadband helps with large downloads.I got the DSL from the phone company because there's no contract.I don't have a contract for my phone,gas,electric or water.The internet is like another utility to me a nd I'm not used to contracts for utilities.

10. sharky30

sharky30

the 100mbps link is your hard wired ethernet port and hub/router/switch
    the 54mbps is your 802.11g wireless connection

both are separate from the connection to the isp

also networking speeds are in bits per second, where as most of the computer world talks about Bytes when mega or giga are used