British flagged tanker reportedly seized by Iran

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by vote Republican, Jul 19, 2019.

1. bdcochran

bdcochran

Thank you Don26. I liked the video. Made me feel good!

Now for the crystal ball. You never know what is going to happen. When you get past the "who won question" and study the Falkland Islands campaign, you conclude that the Brits were stretched very thin and lucky. The Iranians are a stronger challenge.

Ok. Now, the first Gulf War. The US had an agreement with Turkey to land troops in Turkey and attack Iraq from the North. At the last moments, with the US ships arriving offshore, Turkey withdrew permission. Option 1: turn the US ships around and go home; Option 2: take every one through the narrow Suez Canal and land in Saudi Arabia and build up the logistics. If Saddam had been clear thinking, he would have sunk some ships in the Suez Canal like was done 40 years earlier and denied the passage of US ships. And, the US would have lost.

Throughout the Vietnam War, I kept wondering why the NV did not attempt sabotage operations in the US. The closest that I saw was some dopes raising an NVA flag on the island in Disneyland. The Iranians will not fight a symmetrical war with the US. It did not hesitate to assassinate people who had fled to France. It will not hesitate to run operations in the USA.

2. jim goose

jim goose "The Goose"

The anti British rhetoric on this forum is very disappointing. The British have stood by us from day one in the war on terror. They are the only ally that has contributed meaningful front line troops, taken substantial casualties, and spent billions. Our military trains together and fights together. There’d be a lot more dead Americans boys if the Brits hadn’t stepped up.

DonGlock26 and vote Republican like this.

3. fg17

fg17

I thought we didn't need middle East oil anymore, why care?

I'd like to see the Middle East made as irrelevant as Africa and Antarctica on the global stage. But I'm sure I'm not seeing the big picture.

Just_plinking likes this.
  4. The Father

The Father

We have all this pretty hardware. Use it all or quit wasting the cash procuring it.

5. serve_and_protect

serve_and_protect

And what about all the American military personnel who will die or be wounded/maimed/PTSD in a war with Iran?

Or maybe what happens to our troops didn't even cross your mind?

It's so easy to bray for war and fantasize about attacking other countries from the safety and comfort of your living room.

Since you like beating your chest and warmongering so much, maybe we should send you and Bolton and Pompeo over to fight the Iranians.

jr24 likes this.
  6. thewitt

thewitt

Perhaps this has a bearing on it...

https://www.sott.net/article/339348...ish-establishment-played-in-the-whole-scandal

Revelations that a former British intelligence officer compiled the 'Trump Dossier' comes shortly after media reports of a British tip-off to the US of Russian interference in the US election, suggesting that some of the anti-Trump and anti-Russia 'fake news' stories which have circulated in recent weeks have a British origin.

Disclosure that the author of the 'Trump Dossier' is a former British intelligence agent comes just days after media reports circulated that it was British intelligence that first alerted US intelligence in October 2015 of Russia's supposed interference in the US Presidential election on behalf of Donald Trump.

BGDaddy likes this.
  7. BUG'S

BUG'S

Why even put boots on the ground. Bomb them back into the stone age and let them rot. They act up bomb them again and again. Take out their entire Naval and Air Forces and bomb their nuclear facility.

8. jr24

jr24

So, by that reckoning we should hate Trump's government because of what Clapper, Brennan, and Comey did?

Didn't many of the Brits involve resign? I thought I read that.

9. thewitt

thewitt

Actually those were Obama's government, and yes we should hate them and his administration with extreme prejudice.

I did not see any reckoning in Britain for those who were involved in the promotion of the fake Trump dossier and the fake Russian involvement in influencing the election.

10. jr24

jr24

What I was getting at was this was some years ago when they allegedly colluded with Obama's administration, it might not behoove us to blame the current folk for what happened back then.

It'd be like blaming Trump's administration for Obama's folks sins. Since Clapper and Brennen themselves haven't seen a reckoning, a foreign observer could assume they are still part of the system, and, heck, they probably still are.

11. thewitt

thewitt

I would be very surprised if any foreign government had any faith in the US justice system, or the US political system at this point in time.

Perhaps when the UK gets new leadership - they seem to have been rudderless for at least a year, possibly longer - then we will see.

Right now I have no faith that the UK is on any sort of path to success, and I'm over there a half a dozen times a year. London has become a total ****-hole, and it's not getting any better.

12. jr24

jr24

Fair enough, I don't entirely disagree

13. Binge&Purge

Binge&Purge Making B&P Great Again

I think with GWB leading our two nations to war over lies lays heavy on our relationship, and I don't blame Britain. Now they've gone full retard with the muslims, Khan, and now Boris.

But to have a candidate make a statement like below to try and gain points makes me say EFF YOU Boris.

Boris ran his mouth, and now if he makes PM, he'll be wishing he had a strong big brother like President Trump. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Iran is intentionally sticking their finger in his eye as an olive branch to POTUS. All of a sudden Boris looks stupid and President Trump looks strongER.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...nson-warns-donald-trump/ar-AAEp7p0?li=BBnbklE

U.S. War With Iran Will Not Have British Support, Boris Johnson Warns Donald Trump

Maxx702, APERS and jr24 like this.
  14. APERS

APERS

This. I suspect they'll do a late night drop of a billion Euro's, BHO style.

15. APERS

APERS

16. amd65

amd65

It is the British Security State which would have happily helped to install HRC to rule us. The whole Five Eyes group have been acting in their own interests, not the interests of their citizens.

serve_and_protect likes this.
  17. Maxx702

Maxx702 Rottweilers making America great again!

Looks to me like it's time for the Brits to step up to the plate.
    No more American blood or bullets protecting the interests of our fair weather friends.

18. Bilrus61

Bilrus61

Why not just take a big chunk of Iranian territory and toss out all the Iranians? Don't try to nation build or put up with a insurgency. Not talking about like 1/4 the place maybe just around the straight for a radius of about 30 miles to help ensure free passage.

19. Binge&Purge

Binge&Purge Making B&P Great Again

President Trump should also announce that his previous pledge to support Britain after Brexit with preferential trade agreements will not carry over to a Boris Johnson administration.

Let me rephrase that: President Trump should WARN Boris Johnson that Britain's post Brexit preferential trade status was promised to Teresa May and will no longer be in effect with PM Johnson. He should also tell Iran that the US won't be supporting Britain in the Gulf.

Maxx702 and czsmithGT like this.
  20. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Ok I do not know ship defense, capibilities.....
    30 ships. To protect 5 support ships. (Sounds like none that could race to rescue in timely manner)
    Question. How hard would it be to launch, recover a power boat from these tankers? Say suitable for @15 men for two weeks (and lots of equipment)
    My thinking is most ports there (I understand) fo not allow arms on ships comming into port??? So the @12 man defense team needs to remove weapons, sit just beyond 3mile?? (Is that correct??) then reload for return. Ideally have some of crew do double duty?
    I seem to recall payoffs of $7 million given to Somolie pirates? To let ships go?
    6 SAMS, 4 50 cal, 4 30 cal machine guns. (Not sure what else would be best)
    These security crews could launch boat with gear, board next ship getting ready to run gauntlet. The weapons mounts I assume could stay on ships.
    Maybe some countries would allow weapons if stored in locker while in port?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    Lt. Donn likes this.