close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

British buying 440 AR10's

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by m87, Jan 11, 2010.

1. m87

m87

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2010/01/03/british-adopting-ar-10-style-sharpshooter-rifle/

The British Army will be receiving AR-10 style rifles to help them engage the Taliban at distances beyond the range of their 5.56mm L85 rifles. The new L129A1 will be used in a designated marksmen role. Janes reports ...
    In a USD2.5 million deal the UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) has contracted Law Enforcement International (LEI) to supply 440 LM7 semi-automatic rifles.
    To be redesignated the L129A1, the gas-operated weapon carries a 20-round magazine, is 945 mm long and weighs 5 kg. It will be manufactured by Lewis Machine & Tool Company in the United States, with deliveries expected to begin in early 2010.
    Features of the weapon include a single-piece upper receiver and free-floating, quick-change barrels available in 305 mm, 406 mm and 508 mm. It has four Picatinny rails with a 540 mm top rail for night vision, thermal and image intensifying optics. Stock options include fixed or retractable versions.
    [​IMG]

My question: Isn't that a bit much per rifle? Over 5k. Does that 2.5 million include anything else besides the rifles, or are they just that good?

2. GlockPride

GlockPride Glock 23

Maybe mags, probably extra parts, possible armory training. Could also include delivery, tech support, expansive testing, might include some palm-greasing...

3. Ruggles

Ruggles

Sweet, good to see the Brits giving the troops some more weapon options in the field.

4. chris in va

chris in va

...if not their citizens.

5. Novocaine

Novocaine

Can't they hone their FALs into DMRs?

6. Novocaine

Novocaine

subjects

7. Ruggles

Ruggles

:dunno: Sorry but I do not understand your comment. Is it a comment on the gun rights of the British civilians?

8. raven11

raven11

someone in the British Government is having a epitiny right now

9. SergeantC

SergeantC

Do they still have any FALs? I thought the L85A1 replaced them completely.

10. vafish

vafish

1. Do they have enough FAL's left in inventory? The L85 replaced the FAL in 1987.

2. FAL is not as accurate at the AR10. How much work (ie time and money) does it take to modify 440 FAL's into DMR's?

My guess is that the Brits took a look at doing this and realized it would be better, faster and cheaper to buy the AR10's.

One other thing that might have come into play. If you drag an old design out of inventory and start re-issuing it that's like admitting your change to the current rifle was a mistake. Buying a whole new rifle prevents that.

11. 1gewehr

1gewehr

Figure $2500 per rifle, $1000 for optics, then you need spare parts, magazines, accessories, training materials, etc.

These are not your off-the-shelf AR10 clones. LMT is a high-precision manufacturer. These rifles have quick-change barrels, precision sights, and a host of other Tacticool features. Check out that upper receiver! One piece from rear sight to front sight! Imagine the improvement in stability that provides.

12. MDLibertarian

MDLibertarian NRA Life Member

Between what Chris in VA stated, and Novocaine's reply of "subjects," I think this is what they meant...

[​IMG]

13. Indy_Guy_77

Indy_Guy_77 Thread Killer

\

Since a goodly portion of their Armed forces is currently issued the AR-style rifle, keeping the same manual of arms for a larger caliber seems to be a smart thing to do...

-J-

14. MDLibertarian

MDLibertarian NRA Life Member

I thought most of their folks are armed with the SA-80 while the AR platforms are reserved for the SAS and other elite units. :dunno:

15. nsabjg

nsabjg

16. Onmilo

Onmilo

They broke them up.
    Destroyed them.
    The Brits don't even do Armament Aid anymore.
    Former colonies have to BUY the material from the British Government with strict guidelines on use and disposal that have to be agreed to.

As much as I love England I feel for every true Englishman anymore, their Government has gone out of their way to neuter them.

17. Indy_Guy_77

Indy_Guy_77 Thread Killer

You're probably right!

18. crazymoose

crazymoose Nonentity

The FAL is a very difficult weapon to accurize. The barrels are not free-floated. The optics mounts, while effective, add weight and make the rifle more difficult to clean. Most importantly, I think, several gunsmiths have told me that it's virtually impossible to give the FAL a really great trigger.

Contrast the AR-10 to the FAL: equally good ergonomics, integrated rail space, several excellent triggers available on the market, and the rifle is very, very easy to gunsmith and accurize.

The FAL is a truly great combat rifle; it is, in fact, almost certainly the best of the 7.62 Nato Cold War combat rifles. However, it is less suited to sniping duties than the M14 and G3, and far less so than the AR-10.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  19. DonD

DonD

Same reason we have the SR-25 and more recently the SASS or whatever they are calling it. They are finding that most of the sniper engagements are at ranges that suit the AR-10 platform just fine and often with multiple targets that REALLY make the AR shine. Don

20. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

I wonder if they will have the fun (full auto) selector