Britain is lost! Dangers of the erosion of free speech

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by BriGuy618, May 28, 2018.

1. BriGuy618

BriGuy618

Britain is lost! The Erosion of free speech, rise of political correctness.

On this Memorial Day, I reflect on the greatness of America and those Americans that made it so. In a civilized society, we use our speech, press and right to peacefully assemble to persuade others to subscribe to our line of thinking. The 2A is the guarantor of the 1A, in my opinion, as it has best been said that all human interactions fall into one of two categories without exception — You may either reason with me in speech, writing or assembly or you can try to force me!

This past week, Tommy Robinson was arrested and immediately sentenced to 13 months in prison for either “breach of the peace” or “contempt of court” by the British judicial system. Hard to know exactly, as the details have been censored by the judge/court which have effectively made it illegal for those in the U.K. to cover or discuss the Robinson case on any platform to include social media. I’ve posted 3 videos below that are worth your viewing on the subject and shed some light on what is actually going on over there. All though this is a British problem, for the moment, we should be concerned on our side of the pond, as examples of attempts to gradually erode away at our freedoms are becoming more frequent and the dangers are highlighted here.

Every day as I learn more about the world, I grow even more impressed with the foresight of our forefathers and the enduring relevance of our Constitution as the cornerstone of our Republic — it just makes me so damned proud to be American and enjoy our liberties that so many around the world will never know and so many here at home take for granted. This is truly the only country in the world that protects free speech — nope, not even Canada has that right and this is so important.

Please, watch the videos below and consider the consequences should these offenses ever reach our shores.

View: https://youtu.be/5wH9lO3Fd_A

View: https://youtu.be/_i18Pi6el9U

View: https://youtu.be/Njp8oZmXnVk

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  2. thewitt

thewitt

England doesn't have protected speech.

Remember why we left in the first place...

Tyranny, exercised by the elite monarchy on the serfs who serve them (the meaning of the word), is not the basis for a free citizenry, but instead for dominated subjects.

3. collim1

collim1 5ft of fury. The champ is back!

ALOT of Americans mistakenly assume the UK has personal rights close to or inline with ours.

4. OMCHamlin

OMCHamlin

Nope. They just happen to speak English and have bad food...

5. BriGuy618

BriGuy618

Yes, and the notion that governments do not continue to seek new and old ways to oppress, censor or otherwise subjugate its people into the 21st century is a naive falsehood. When folks say that something is “so 19th century” or that our “founding fathers could not have anticipated [FILL IN BLANK HERE]” when they wrote the Constitution, I just can’t help but to cringe. When did it stop being cool to conquer new lands? Just because the U.S. may not be looking towards forceful expansion doesn’t mean the rest of the world is not (I.e. Russia & Crimea). Look to the wars and other atrocities of the 20th Century as a cautionary tale and even more closely into the governments that created them and how they rose to power. The parallels in history are remarkable!! I contend that we need our beloved Constitution more than ever!

Robert Cohen likes this.
  6. refugeepj

refugeepj

7. Bruce M

Bruce M

I am confused - is Robinson or Yaxley or Lennon going back to jail for assault or back to jail for mortgage fraud or for what sounds like a probation violation?

8. janice6

janice6

“The concept of “microaggression” is just one of many tactics used to stifle differences of opinion by declaring some opinions to be “hate speech,” instead of debating those differences in a marketplace of ideas. To accuse people of aggression for not marching in lockstep with political correctness is to set the stage for justifying real aggression against them.” ― Thomas Sowell

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.Robert A. Heinlein

“The constitution is a radical document. It is the job of government to reign in people's rights.” Bill Clinton, (MTV, 1992 or 1993?)

Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government's purposes are beneficial ... the greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well meaning but without understanding.” Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis, 1928

"The true danger is when Liberty is nibbled away, for expedients." – Edmund Burke (1899)

kdj70, Dr. Bill, Robert Cohen and 2 others like this.
  9. powernoodle

powernoodle

Almost 20 centuries ago, Saul of Tarsus wrote a letter to Christians in Rome recognizing the awful reality that the whole world groans in travail - as if in the midst of childbirth - awaiting its liberation from bondage to decay. That decay continues to this very day, though it seems to be accelerating at an alarming pace. Human rights, like those disappearing in Britain, are being systematically erased from the arena of public ideas. Burned in my mind are the recent images of Irish voters gleefully celebrating the reinstitution of lawful baby killing as if they had won a World Cup match.

Dr. Bill, Robert Cohen and Ramjet38 like this.
  10. janice6

janice6

Does English law permit free speech:

"...The UK did incorporate the European Convention on Human Rights into law in 1998, and this guarantees the Freedom of Expression. But there are a large number of exceptions.

This is a non-exhaustive list:
    • Threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour intending or to cause harrassment, alarm or distress or cause a breach of the peace
    • Incitement to racial hatred
    • Incitement to religious hatred
    • Incitement to terrorism (plus a lot of not-very-well defined stuff about distributing or owning materials likely to be of use to a terrorist)
    • Treason (this includes advocating the abolition of the monarchy, though the Law Lords have "stated the bleeding obvious" when they opined that this has not been enforceable for many years)
    • Defamation (this has a high burden of proof on the defendent, and leads to a worrying number of people coming to the UK to prosecute libel cases)
    • Indecency including the corruption of public morals (again, good luck trying to enforce this one)
    • Many restrictions on reporting court cases
    • Time, manner and place restrictions
    • Prior restraint
    • Classified materials
    In everyday practice, the UK has wound up with similar restrictions to most Western democracies. The glaring exception is the libel laws -- they are much stricter than most." https://www.quora.com/Is-there-freedom-of-speech-in-the-UK

Dr. Bill and Robert Cohen like this.
  11. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

12. Altaris

Altaris

Same with Canada.

UK and Canada both have some pretty terrible laws when it comes to having a conversation or expressing your opinions and having other people being 'offended' by it.

Dr. Bill, Robert Cohen and janice6 like this.
  13. F350

F350

14. Christian Wolff

Christian Wolff

Not our problem or fight. What are their citizens doing to change this?

G29guy06 likes this.
  15. LordAnderson

LordAnderson

16. ca survivor

ca survivor

unless, you are a muslim, every thing goes then, in the name of protection of religion, f** the law abiding, tax paying citizens, UK and France and most of Europe will be back in muslim hands in 10 to 15 years, US is not far behind, between, muslims, illegals and welfare recipients.

Robert Cohen likes this.
  17. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

My friend and neighbor is a British (very good) wild life artist.

He has NOTHING at all good to say about the British government and laws.
    Typical liberal ****. Protect the "rights" of the murdering thugs and treat the victims like criminals.

Just like the liberals want to do in this country.

Right now he's working on getting his Texas "License to Carry".
    I gave him a Ruger LC9 yesterday. :)

pgg00, oldcop1971, Ramjet38 and 2 others like this.
  18. BriGuy618

BriGuy618

What can they really do over there? Put yourself in their shoes? Brexit was a step in the right direction, but they’re already talking about a referendum on Brexit and the jury is out as to whether they can strike lightning twice! I’m frustrated for them over there. On a recent pass through Heathrow, and a cross with their amazing and most hospitable security, that swabbed my 4 year old daughters hands for residue and forced my pregnant wife through the X-ray machine while letting much more menacingly looking folks right through. Anyways, how did a country with so much collective intellect and contributions to the world come up with Heathrow? More to the point, how are they to survive when they lockup those that are saying what needs to be said?

Dr. Bill likes this.
  19. RayMich

RayMich

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." – Ayn Rand

"A government is the most dangerous threat to man's rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims."
    – Ayn Rand

How true!

We are not far behind, unless a lot of voters in this country wake up soon!

BigBluefish likes this.
  20. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

Hate to break the news to you. But, here in the United States, the First Amendment died not with a bang but a whimper.