Glock Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Mr. Awesome
12,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure many of you read my rookie question thread.

In response I have started this thread.

Reasons to bring someone back to your car (pros):
-You get to pat them down, You'll do a better pat down when your safety directly counts on it.
-Easier to smell the odor of alcoholic beverages from the driver.
-You take them out of their comfort zone.
-We have a camera to record what they do and say.
-You get them out of their car where they may have weapons.
-You get them away from the other people in their car
--who may talk the driver into doing something stupid
--who may be worried about their warrant (KS has some bad case law that we cannot talk to the passengers unless we have RS they have committed a crime, but BG's don't know that)
--Other occupants are less likely to shoot back at you if they may hit their friend
-Less time spent outside your vehicle, leaving them to get hit by a car instead of you <non pc version.
-You can keep them from making phone calls and getting their friends to show up (this is a big issue around here)
-The longer people sit in your car the more likely they are to tell you the truth, get caught in a lie, tell you stuff to fill the quiet time. They will talk to you instead of festering in their car.
-Cover officer can stand at the rear passenger side quarter panel and be seen by contact officer, but not the suspect. Also a good position to do an extract or head shot.

Reasons to leave them in their car (cons):
-You are in arms reach of one another
-You don't get a second or third look at the inside of the car, of course you can if you want to.*
-You don't get to check on the other occupants (You can back your patrol unit up some to combat this)
-If they run(on foot), you already have a car between the two of you which you have to run around.
-You have to get them back out to cuff and search; usually we have backup by this time if we planned accordingly.

I'm sure you guys will come up with many more. I digress, for now.

Issues and how I have combatted them
-I use an earpiece attached to my portable radio, I turn the volume all the way down on the in-car. Many people around here keep scanners in their cars so bringing them back actually keeps more information from them.
-My gun, even though it's on the same side that are it is under the armrest. -I can easily access the knife in my left pocket.
-The equipment in the middle provides a decent barrier.

Bringing someone back to the patrol vehicle is not for everyone, officer or suspect. A bad feeling in your gut when you talk to someone is reason to keep as much distance as possible and wait for backup. It is not something I do every time, just an option I keep open.

I also keep some trash on the passenger side floor. It's amazing how a couple of bottles and some pieces of paper keep people interested for several minutes. Without it they just stare at you, but with it they usually get intrigued (especially, if they're under the influence). One Trooper keeps all of the PBT tubes on the passenger side floorboard to retard them getting good footing if they were to try to jump across the console. It really is hard to get good footing, but gross to keep all those germs in one place where you breath.

* One Deputy I know doesn't get their insurance until after he runs the DL. They usually go back on the passenger side of the offending vehicle offering a different view to the Deputy. Many people hide things between the door and passenger seat where it is hard to see from looking in either window, but when the door opens...

· Mr. Awesome
12,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More pros:
-You get to watch their exit.
-If they have anything they stuffed up their pant leg it will fall out. Most people don't expect to be getting out immediately and their hiding places are often exposed.

· Registered
12,429 Posts
I never, EVER put someone from a traffic stop in the front seat of my car. There was plenty of room in the back. Also, there were never any shotguns, patrol rifles , raincoats or duty bags in the back seat.

· Unfair Facist
28,872 Posts
If I had EVER caught one of my guys with someone sitting in their front seat on a traffic stop I would have jammed my boot so far up their ass they could have used the boot laces for dental floss.

· Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Ok, time to start a list of reasons the person should stay in their car.

- I would rather be behind a threat than next to it.
- In a normal traffic stop set-up a knife will do a bad guy not much good. Your way he can stab you.
- I like having an engine block I can duck behind.
- If I have to go hands on and make an arrest, I can make the call for backup without having to worry the guy might know what I asked for.
- The distance between my door and his along with him having to get up means I get at least a second or two to find more ways to kill him.
- I don't have to worry about a defense lawyer claiming that the bad guy was "in custody" when he admitted something during the stop.
- You cannot legally justify patting every traffic violator for weapons. You can ask, but you may not always get consent, and frankly I wouldn't blame them for refusing.
- When possible, I like staying behind the curtain of light and not letting the bad guy know what I am doing.
- I cannot imagine asking a bad guy to step out of MY car to arrest him. Do you get out first and leave someone you are about to arrest sitting in your running car with a bunch of long guns? Or do you ask him to step out first and give him a nice bit of distance to start running?
- I don't want to check my car seat for contraband anymore often than necessary.
- I don't want to get beefed by some chick who thinks it's sexual.
- Our cameras faces forward and I wore a microphone, so having them IN the car means I dont actually see them on the video without turning my camera off the other car.
- my cover officer can watch the guys in the car while I write. I'd rather have two of us shooting into the suspect's car than my cover officer shooting into mine.
- I can't draw as quickly when I am in the car as I can when I am walking up to their car. Especially when I have to worry about a gun grab.
- It is harder to shoot the guy sitting 6 inches to the right of my gun hand than it is to shoot the guy trying to open a door you a few feet away.
- in a related one, it is easier for someone in the passenger seat to shoot you than it is for a driver if you stay behind the pillar.
- I would prefer to be the one who can move around with the bad guy trapped in a steel box.

Ok, I am bored, anyone else want to continue?

· Premium Member
4,128 Posts
Putting a violator in the front seat next to you is a death warrant. A lot of violent fugitives are caught during traffic stops and many of them play it cool just looking for an opening. I have arrested scores of fugitives and felons based upon an innocent traffic stop. I had one guy tell me later at the station that he was just looking and hoping for the first opportunity to "kill me." That sent a chill down my spine. He said he never got that opportunity because I never gave him one....

Here in Los Angeles, we rely heavily on the principle of contact and cover. One officer does everything, while the cover officer takes a guarding position and oversees the situation. I have seen on TV Cops where one officer searched the car, while the other wrote out a ticket. I have even seen stops where one officer searched a car and had his fat ass sticking out from the door while the motorist stood behind him.

We do not allow these tactics on our Department and it will get a probationer fired faster than writing a crappy report. So far this year, we have fired three officers in my Area alone. All three boots were fired for their poor tactics. We pound proper tactics into the new boots and if I ever catch them getting complacent, I stick a boot up their ass.

· Premium Member
4,128 Posts
spdski;12621250 said:
Ok, time to start a list of reasons the person should stay in their car.
I honestly think that the best reason to keep the violator in the car (we direct them to stay in the car), is that it gives you absolute warning that the ***** is about to hit the fan and it gives you the advantage and lead time to take action. Opening the door, exiting, and turning around to engage will cost the violator enough time, that either you or your cover officer should be able to get the drop on him.

· VIVA MEXICO !!!
3,299 Posts
I just cry when I hear you guys talking about proper tactics and officer safety procedures.

In Mexico City is COMMON PRACTICE that the fat ass lazy cops stop a car and stay in their patrol cars and wait for the driver to get out and get to the cops' window to "deal" with the ticket or bribe his corrupt ass.

In Monterrey this has changed a lot, still not really good safety procedures but at least they don't wait anymore in the car.

Stay safe guys!!

· Crazy CO
17,668 Posts
PuroMexicano;12630248 said:
I just cry when I hear you guys talking about proper tactics and officer safety procedures.

In Mexico City is COMMON PRACTICE that the fat ass lazy cops stop a car and stay in their patrol cars and wait for the driver to get out and get to the cops' window to "deal" with the ticket or bribe his corrupt ass.

In Monterrey this has changed a lot, still not really good safety procedures but at least they don't wait anymore in the car.

Stay safe guys!!
A long time ago, back in the late seventies I was in Mexico City. They just walked up to you, if they were on a foot beat, and caught you in a traffic infraction.

· VIVA MEXICO !!!
3,299 Posts
Speaking about safety, last friday I was riding with a friend and we got to a traffic light.
Well, the crossroad had a green light and there were two guys with a traffic cop IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD discussing an accident that just happened.
Cars were swerving to avoid hitting them!!!

When we got the green light we stopped aside the cop and told him he was going to cause another accident or get himself or the other guys killed.
He turned around and very angry shouted at us "SO WHAT!!"

My friend (a former local DPS employee) almost got out and kicked his ass, LOL.

Instead we just called the Department and complained about the situation.
He must have got a size 10 boot up his ass.
What a moron cop.

· Unfair Facist
28,872 Posts
That reminds me of the old story about the guy taking flying lessons, after several lessons the guy started doing all kinds of hard maneuvers with the plane. The instructor said, "Hey take it easy you are going to rip the wings off the plane" The student replied, "What do I care, it's not my plane!"

· Registered
12,570 Posts
Dragoon44;12631008 said:
That reminds me of the old story about the guy taking flying lessons, after several lessons the guy started doing all kinds of hard maneuvers with the plane. The instructor said, "Hey take it easy you are going to rip the wings off the plane" The student replied, "What do I care, it's not my plane!"
That pilot went on to become a Navy aviator. I flew on to my first carrier landing with that yutz at the stick. :shocked:

· Girl w/a Glock
4,128 Posts
nikerret;12620215 said:
One Trooper keeps all of the PBT tubes on the passenger side floorboard to retard them getting good footing if they were to try to jump across the console. It really is hard to get good footing, but gross to keep all those germs in one place where you breath.
Vinyl floors?

Armor-All the **** out of them. And don't sop that mess up either, let it just pool on the floorboard of the back seat. I never would have thought to do it, but the last car that my department got was a 2006 (bought used, probably a San Antonio police vehicle in its prior life). The dealer COATED that car in Armor-All. When we went to install the cage I damn near broke my neck because I slipped. After that, when the car gets cleaned, it gets recoated with Armor-All on the floor. Idiots all complain about it, but it slows them down when they can't gather their feet under them or stay stable long enough to push off of anything. Think Bambi on Ice here.

Beyond that, the area in front of the cage is MY office. I'm not sitting -anyone- up there. EVERYONE can sit in the back. Only exception is an authorized rider (ride-along, boss, etc).

Our troopers out here all occupy the back seat with their gear and put subjects up front. I cringe every time I see it and if they tell me to put the dirtbag up front, I make damn sure they don't have anything that can hurt my trooper, but it still makes my stomach knot.

· Registered
2,890 Posts
Its DPS policy from what I have been told. I agree though I would never transport up front.

As far as bringing them back to you. YOU are much safer with them in the car for the most part.

SAR and spdski hit all the point I can think of.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts