Brief range trip with the Taurus G3

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by powernoodle, Dec 5, 2019.

1. powernoodle

powernoodle

Thanks to Academy Sports' price-matching policy, I picked up a Taurus G3 this week for $211 plus tax.

[​IMG]

After hitting the range today for a few minutes, a few observations are in order:

- I did a quick clean and lube on the G3 before going to the range. It was obvious that Taurus had fired a few rounds through the gun, which was a little dirty and had brass marks on the mag follower. I just wiped everything down with a paper towel and some Breakfree CLP. I appreciate any maker ensuring that the gun goes bang before it leaves the factory.

- the G3 was 100% reliable through 169 rounds of Blazer Brass, American Eagle FMJ, HST 124 and Federal BP9LE +P+ 115. I shot both the 15 and 17 round mags. While its a relatively low round count, I'm satisfied that its reliable for EDC. Reliability trumps everything. A 100% reliable Taurus beats an almost 100% reliable anything else.

- this thing is a p-ssycat to shoot. Super soft recoil with Blazer Brass, and fairly mild with the HST and BP9LE. I was going back and forth between the G3 and Hellcat, and the two are night and day in the recoil department as you might expect. The G3 was a pleasure to shoot. Nicely contoured grip with good traction, and the double stack configuration fills the hand. The larger size of the G3 just soaks up recoil and distributes it across the hand far better than a micro 9. #itsjustphysics

- The looong trigger pull before you hit the wall is something you get used to before you finish the first mag. I had no prob with trigger control when alternating between the two guns. The G3 has a double strike capability you will find in few other striker guns.

- the sights are decent, and of the 3-dot variety, but not nearly as easy to pick up as the big yellow front post and U-rear of the Hellcat. Perfectly serviceable though. I would prefer Big Dot sights, but its hard to spend $111 for sights on a $211 gun. I might touch them up with glowy orange paint and a toothpick.

- the G3 has a thumb safety, which I totally ignored at the range and forgot about. It has stiff engagement, so its probably not going to be an issue. However if the G3 or any thumb safety gun is your EDC, its a fine idea to incorporate into your draw stroke a downward thumb swipe on the safety just to be sure.

- Taurus advertises nitrocarburization of the slide, which they claim is a durable finish. Trade names for nitrocarburization include Tennifer (Glock) and Melonite (S&W M&P series). It should be durable, but like any finish will show holster wear especially in kydex. Its a very flat or matte finish.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferritic_nitrocarburizing

- the G3 fits nicely in an R&R kydex OWB holster made for a S&W SD9 VE. Find R&R on Amazon for around $30 shipped. You can contact R&R after the purchase and request a full coverage holster that conceals the entire slide. That's my preferred flavor, as I don't like an inch of slide sticking out the bottom of the holster. That little bit of slide sticking out is not protected, and can peek out under your t-shirt. Its very hard to find a dedicated G3 holster yet, but that will change. Until then, try one for the SD9 which are readily available.

- I was the limiting factor in accuracy. I pull everything just slightly left, and today was no different. But I'm okay hitting the intruder in the right eye at 10 yards.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The G3 mags fit the G2c just fine, and I assume will function just fine too though I did not give that a try today. These two models are essential the same gun with different dimensions.

If you can get the G3 (or G2) for $249 or less, you are picking up one of the best bang per dollar values on the market IMO. The G3 feels good, is a remarkably soft shooter with range ammo, has a good trigger with second strike capability, and best of all was 100% reliable. This is no fluke as my pair of G2's has also never suffered a failure to feed, fire or eject. Taurus has the G2 and G3 dialed in.

Time will tell with the G3, but the outlook is excellent.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=78&v=RbPOZhNM9fY&feature=emb_logo

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  2. Out West

Out West

I picked one up last week. Taking it to the range today.

Nice range report. Thanks for the post.

Bill Keith and powernoodle like this.

3. Bomber Nav

Bomber Nav

Thanks for the feedback. Hope it works out okay in the long term. Looks promising, though.

powernoodle likes this.
  4. bac1023

bac1023

Very cool :cool:

Thanks for sharing

5. scattershot

scattershot

Nice report. Thanks. Taurus seems to be really upping their game lately. Grab one now before everyone catches on and the prices go up.

Gray_Rider and powernoodle like this.
  6. Ofc.JL

Ofc.JL

Yep! The G3 is a direct clone of the G2C. The pistol has Engineering elements of Glock, Walther and XD pistols in it, and they work very well. I have personally run a couple of G2C's very, very hard, and they are still chugging along w/ no breakage or problems. We all know Taurus has had lots of QC problems in the past, they are trying really hard to cure that. 3-4 years ago, they hired all US Firearms engineers to clean up their firearms, moved to a modern plant in Sao Paulo, and went for and won ISO 2001 certification. If you look at their new catalog, you will see quite a few models are gone. By summer 2020, they should be manufacturing Firearms in the new US plant in Georgia. I for one, now believe in the New Taurus, and so far they have not let me down. 10 years ago was a different story. I have Gunsmithed on pistols most of my Adult life(30+ years), having been trained by just about all manufacturers of handguns, short of Ruger. Back then I did believe that Taurus Firearms were quite literally built by Monkeys, they were terrible in fit and finish. I used to say "Friends don't let Friends buy Taurus pistols!"
    Now, I recommend the G2C/S and G3 pistols for anyone wanting a tough, easy to use, reliable, inexpensive pistol. Trust me when I say they have turned the corner on QC, and a getting better by leaps and bounds.

fflincher, Gray_Rider, treg and 3 others like this.
  7. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

- I was the limiting factor in accuracy. I pull everything just slightly left, and today was no different. But I'm okay hitting the intruder in the right eye at 10 yards.

Yeah because we all know shooting slowly at paper at an indoor range, with neither end of the path moving, is the same as shooting at a human during a home invasion when everything is moving.

:couch:

Anyway, probably can't be worse than pulling left with the typical Glock trigger!

bunk22 likes this.
  8. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Did you notice muzzle flash with Blazer Brass ammo? I consider that fairly weak ammo.

9. Out West

Out West

Shot mine today for the first time. I was impressed. Zero failures in over 200 rounds of mixed FMJ and HP. Very good accuracy. No pics, but tight groups that obliterated the bullseye. Sights were perfectly regulated. Love the frame texture. Trigger is better than the G2C. I like thumb safeties and G3 has one. Double strike capability (not sure how important this is - perhaps handy at the range, but don't think I'd use it in a defensive scenario). The manual states that the slide is Tennifer treated (hard to believe at this price point). I ordered mine from Gunbuyer.com. They had several variations available. I picked the black with two 15 round mags.

I own and have shot many many polymer handguns. The G3 shoots as accurately as the best of them. The trigger is good - crisp break with a slightly longer pull than Glock or Sig. Sights are about average. I guess the ergos and frame texture helped with my accuracy.

Hard to believe you can buy two of these for one Glock, Sig, or CZ and still have money for a couple boxes of ammo.

My bottom line: the price of the gun does not reflect its real value. Very happy with the purchase.

10. powernoodle

powernoodle

Good stuff, Mr. West.

I saw a dude on Youtube yesterday shooting steel cased Russian ammo with hard primers, and the double strike capability kept him in the action when a round would fail to ignite. But yeah, I don't think its a big selling point when using quality range or defensive ammo. But better to have it than not, I guess.

11. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

12. bac1023

bac1023

I’m surprised people still use that ammo. I’d much rather use aluminum.

jimcorbin likes this.
  13. powernoodle

powernoodle

The target in the lane to my left.

14. Gray_Rider

Gray_Rider

Mr. Noodle,

I have the exact same feelings for my G2C.

Really nice little gun that has been VERY reliable so far with the limited but varied amount of ammo I have put through it .

Glad to see the G3 is doing well for you!

I would have liked a new Glock 19 or possibly a 26, but bank account said no, so I studied up on the G2C and liked what I saw and read.

I personally hope Taurus hits these two models out of the park, and the rest of their line with them.

Gray_Rider
    Old Secessh

AdamRodgers and powernoodle like this.
  15. pgg00

pgg00

Does anyone know if there is a version sans manual safety or plans for one? I'm curious on this piece for a plinker, especially at that kind of price

AdamRodgers likes this.
  16. AdamRodgers

AdamRodgers 9mm, putting in work since 1902 !

I just got the chance to Coon Finger one and dang, the pistol is nice. Now I didn't get to shoot it but I am looking forward to get the opportunity to put some rounds down range with a G3.:D

So many nice pistols have came out and I haven't gotten the time this year to visit the Gun Shop as much as I usually do. I still need to get my paws on a Hellcat. :(

Gray_Rider, powernoodle and Out West like this.
  17. Trucker3573

Trucker3573

I have the g2c and it is my favorite gun that I own to shoot. Mine has been totally reliable with decent brass ammunition. The only time I got mine to hiccup was shooting that Winchester forged USA ammo coated in some kind of graphite powder. My g2c didn’t like that stuff after about 75-80 rounds. I will say I had my glock 26 at the range that day as well and kudos to it as it ate that stuff up and kept on going. The Taurus has been perfect with brass ammo and I shoot it more accurately than my 26 or 19. Great 200 dollar guns. Worth every penny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

powernoodle and narkcop128 like this.
  18. MrGlock21

MrGlock21

powernoodle and Out West like this.
  19. buster55

buster55 Senior Member CLM

Great info
    That is a very nice looking gun,regardless of price.
    I have a few Taurus products,mostly revolvers that have been trouble free.
    I’m gonna keep my eye open for one of these.
    Thanks for the write up..

20. powernoodle

powernoodle