close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Brief experience using the steyr m40 pistol

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by theTactician, Jul 16, 2006.

1. theTactician

theTactician

First of all, im not a gun expert, im just a gun enthusiast and a collector. my reviews are based on my own personal experience.
    But before i delve into my experience, let me tell you just a brief history of what i know about the steyr m series pistols. The guy who designed the steyr m series pistol is wilhelm bubits who used to work for glock. he loves handguns and is a hobby shooter. he tried developing a gun which he envisioned himself and attempted to introduce his ideas and innovations to glock but unfortunately, it didnt work out so finally he sold his ideas to steyr mannlicher, an austrian arms maker in 1997. one of the key engineers who helped bubits in developing his gun is friedrich aigner. so after 2 years of developing the weapon, they finally produced the m series line of steyr pistols. it was a pretty good gun according to some experts and as they say, Steyr are well known for their innovative inventions "they go where no gunmakers have gone before".
    i got interested and here's my own personal review.

I went to an indoor shooting range here in hacienda, CA and i saw this Steyr Pistol which caught my eye so i rented it just for the sake of testing the pistol. Rented it for 8 dollars. the pistol was pretty good externally, looks bulky and tough like the HK. Its safeties were also internal like the glock. I shot just a few rounds that day, about a hundred .40 S&W fmj's and although im not a gun expert, i'd just like to share with you my brief experience with this pistol. The pistol has a good recoil (the fact that it's a .40cal), my only comments are the following:
    1. I didnt like the triangular/trapezoid sights. I find it hard to use the sights in quick target acquisitions. pretty much inaccurate.
    2. I shot a very close target at about 5-7 yards and "no matter what adjustments i made with the sights", i get a lot of misses mostly to the left. it missed by about 5-6 inches to the left. it is that bad. trust me.Could it be human error? Is it just me or is it purely the pistol? I dont know, with the glocks and the HK's i never experienced such bad luck. have you guys experienced this when you used the steyr pistol? well, for me, it performed that bad.
    3. the shell casings ejected were thrown in different directions. it hit my forehead several times. reminded me of the older 1911 versions.
    4. i dont feel comfortable using the steyr pistol if ever my life would depend on it.
    the only pro's i noticed is that
    1. this gun looks good externally
    2. cheaper
    3. good, manageable recoil.
    Overall, i would rate this gun a 2/5 stars.

any comments? suggestions? i would really appreciate it.
    I was even considering of purchasing a steyr pistol before but when i tried it, i said to myself...nah...never mind.
    moral lesson of the story is, before you purchase a particular gun, try to use it first and field test it in the range.
    the next pistol im gonna try out is the springfield XD.

2. Coltylito

Coltylito

:) Yep bossing pls..do share ur feedback on Springfield XD..will wait for it. thanks.

3. isuzu

isuzu

My observations:

1) For the sight system, the longer you use the weapon, the more you'll get familiarized with it.

2) As for the Point of Impact of rounds fired, it's problably because you are not yet familiar with the grip profile, trigger system, and the sight system which could bother you.

3) Poorly tuned 1911s can send empty cases all over the place. A properly tuned 1911 ejects cases in almost one area. Probably the reason why shells that were ejected by the Steyr were not confined to one area is that your grip on the gun could have changed as you were emptying the magazine. This could also happen to any gun which is poorly gripped.

Give it a couple more tries, and learn how the gun handles.

Just my two cents :) .

4. theTactician

theTactician

thank you for your comments. with the sight system, you're probably right, it could be that im not used to the triangular/trapezoid sights but with the grip technique, i know i did the right thing. I am aware of the fact that novice shooters tend to "anticipate", pull the gun downwards and to the left in an oblique manner as they pull the trigger thus missing the alpha target.
    But on my case, it isnt so. i have tried and tested several handguns and in fact owned some of them for many years thus with my grip technique and my stance used, either the weaver or the isoceles or the modified weaver, i knew i didnt commit any novice "anticipation" error.
    i believe that there could be something wrong with the gun itself. I just couldnt hypothesize what it could be.
    just my two cents.;)