close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

bretta cougar 8000 vs glock 32

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by scott mcdonald, Jan 11, 2003.

1. scott mcdonald

scott mcdonald DAWGSM G-19

what do any of you thank about the cougar 8000 in the 357sig.or would a glock 32 be a better choice.

2. Screaming .357G

Screaming .357G 598ci big block

Well I like the Glocks myself:)
    But the NC state guys use the cougar and seem to like them alot.

If you can try them out at a range see what one you like the best.
    Guns are like cars diffrent fit/makes for diffrent folks.

3. cconatvz

cconatvz

The Cougar in .357 Sig is model 8357.

I can't talk about the especific guns you want compared but I have the Cougar 8000F (9mmP) and a G23 (Similar to the 32).

The Beretta is a nice light-recoiling gun that has proven to be reliable on me. I had a double feeding once with the Cougar after changing magazines in a sand floor thou. The sandy magazines jammed the gun and I had to transition to my BUG to finish the stage (a trainning sesion using cover while prone). I've never tried to reproduce the malfunction again but it happened so I told you. Of couse, I'm not sure that a Glock under similar conditions would have stayed clear but I think it would (guessing!!!). I have the full size Cougar. The grip is nice and confortable but it might be a challenge to small handed persons. It has a long trigger reach so the first shot (double action) might be a challenge too. I've never measured it but its grip and trigger reach are similar to a Beretta 92FS. I've practiced a lot with the gun so the big grip and long trigger reach doesn't bother me anymore. Mine has almost 3000 rounds through it without too much trouble. What I haven't mastered yet is the safety because is slide-mounted, tinny and very hard to reach. I simply carry the gun with the safety on "Fire" all the time. Finally, my boss has the INOX (SS) version and gave me a couple of beretta wooden grips that looks really nice on the gun and gives a very good gripping surface.

In my book the pro's of the Cougar against the G32 would be:
    - It has a conventional rifled barrel so you can shoot lead bullets without a second thought.
    - To me is lightlier recoiling than a glock in a similar caliber (I've shot a G19 and the Cougar 8000F side by side).

The con's would be (to me):
    - The sight radius is very small (it's not a competition gun anyway).
    - It's slightly bigger than the G32 but the wider and taller grip makes it a little harder to conceal.
    - There's little aftermarked support for the Cougar (particularly if you compare it to a glock).
    - You cannot tinker with a beretta without having the appropriate tools and a small workshop. A 7$ Glock tool (or a "free" punch) will give you all that you need to tinker with a glock.
    - The Cougar is about 1/3 heavier than a G32. I don't think the Cougar is heavy but when I transition from one to another as carry guns that Cougar seems to weight like a loaded train.
    - You need to work on DA/SA transition, wich is very funny. Once you've mastered the transition it's easy to keep that skill. That transition doesn't exist in a Glock.
    - You must not dry-fire the Cougar without snap-caps.

I carry a gun 24/7. My glock is with me 90% of that time. It's easier to conceal and lightier. Would I sell the Cougar...NOOOOOOOO. As a matter of fact I like to carry it from time to time.

4. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

I have shot a .357 Sig Cougar.
    It was pretty nice.
    Shot just a hair softer than a G32.
    Depends on the trigger system you like.

5. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

Yeah, but have you seen that hideous holster they've chosen for it? Ugh... ;0

6. Screaming .357G

Screaming .357G 598ci big block

I know, I know the holster is kinda;0 ;g ;j ;0