GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia
9,960 Posts
Yeah...it is possible the barrel hood is very, very slightly out of spec...but still nothing to worry about...the surface will wear-in just fine...shoot, repeat, enjoy!

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I'd suggest you send it back to Glock.....

Not because there is anything wrong..... BUT, they will probably get a good laugh at their customers.

BTW, is this post serious?... I can't tell.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Totally normal dude. Nice tight barrel fit is what you want. When microscopic finish wear occurs but NO metal deformation, that means the tolerances of the mating parts are down to a thou or two. Amazing GD&T.

I wanna see a brass ring on that breach face ASAP :flag:

·
MacGyver
7,188 Posts
More shooting, less fondling and looking over it with a magnifying glass.

·
NRA Life Benefactor, GOA Life.
212 Posts
This one has had a few rounds through it and some wear in the little over a year and a half I had it.

just go out and shoot it! I don’t think the Gen5 finish is as durable as past generations.

3A181AE3-FE10-4073-9BAB-FB3CF8701678.jpeg

·
Previously G48 OEM Guy
54 Posts
same here. my G48 has had only about 400 rounds and it looks just like yours, with heavier wear on the right side. The barrel itself also has worn corners on the chamber end, exposing the bare metal under the finish. Normal.

·
I'm not retired
7,208 Posts
same here. my G48 has had only about 400 rounds and it looks just like yours, with heavier wear on the right side. The barrel itself also has worn corners on the chamber end, exposing the bare metal under the finish. Normal.
It's normal for an out of spec gun. Is it out of spec enough to worry about??? Prolly not, but there's nothing normal about one side wearing more than the other.

·
Registered
808 Posts
It's normal for an out of spec gun. Is it out of spec enough to worry about??? Prolly not, but there's nothing normal about one side wearing more than the other.
If it runs, keep it clean and shoot it. When you get to 50 grand, it will be beautiful! lol

·
I'm not retired
7,208 Posts
If it runs, keep it clean and shoot it. When you get to 50 grand, it will be beautiful! lol
Yea, it's not a big deal, to me, as it's only the finish that appears to be wearing. I could see that kind of wear on a Hipoint but it's just shy of a little annoying on a $600 Glock. Still, as said, I'm not letting it keep me from buying another Glock.

I just looked in one of my 34's and it doesn't have the uneven wear, but that particular G34 has less than 500 rds. I have the other 2 on loan to family members but am curious to see the wear on them...just for curiosity's sake.

YcuriositygetsthebestofyousometimesMMV

·
Registered
622 Posts
Yea, it's not a big deal, to me, as it's only the finish that appears to be wearing. I could see that kind of wear on a Hipoint but it's just shy of a little annoying on a $600 Glock. Still, as said, I'm not letting it keep me from buying another Glock.

I just looked in one of my 34's and it doesn't have the uneven wear, but that particular G34 has less than 500 rds. I have the other 2 on loan to family members but am curious to see the wear on them...just for curiosity's sake.

YcuriositygetsthebestofyousometimesMMV
Its just finish wear. My gen3’s don’t show this. I think the finish on the gen5’s is not as good as previous generations.

What generation is your G34?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hey fellas: I recently purchased a new Glock 19 Gen 5. I haven't shot it yet, and have only racked it a couple times. I noticed that on the breech face, the finish has already come off in a small area as the result of racking the slide (please see the attached picture), and the bare metal is exposed. I've owned 3 Glocks before (Gen 4 G19, Gen 4 G26, and a G43) and I didn't see this type of wear before shooting. I was wondering if anyone has seen this type of wear and, if the barrel end is off spec and making the damage, would it be a serious concern down the road. Thank you!! View attachment 845154
The Gen 5 finish is pretty quick to show wear. Any surfaces on the gun that are in direct contact will show wear pretty much immediately. I have two G19.5's and they each have their peculiarities, showing wear in different spots on the slide and barrel, even from the first shots I took with them. Since guns are test-fired at the factory, it's likely that your gun just had some minor tolerance unevenness. The finish itself has thickness, and now that it's worn away on one side, the action will likely be that much smoother. Nothing to worry about.

·
I'm not retired
7,208 Posts
What generation is your G34?
I own 3 34's, all Gen 4's. I haven't looked at two of them as family members are using them for HD, but none of the one's I've looked at, here (1 34, 2 41's, 2 Gen 4 35's, 1 Gen 4 26) have marks indicative of the barrel hood scrubbing heavier on one side of the breech face. Even though the AW Sig barrels scrubbed off the some of the finish on my 35's, there's no galling that I can see, and the scuff marks go all the way across...not just one side. Thinking on it, more, as long as the barrel hood isn't galling one side, it's not an issue, IMO, but if it started galling, I might be a little miffed. ;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am going to have to disagree on this one. Just because the breech face exhibits higher wear on one side or the other, does not mean that the barrel hood or slide are outside of the Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerance values specified by the design engineer. There are probably flatness tolerances on the breech face and hood, as well as toleranced features of size adjoining.

Hell, I would be willing to bet that this interface is a datum feature for the slide or barrel. The tolerances can all be within spec AND exhibit microscopic finish wear at the high points.

I would bet my ass that Glock uses ASME 14.5Y - 2009 and that this slide/barrel are within the specified tolerances per drawing. Their QC has to verify all of the tolerances with micrometers and jigs (on every single part).

·
I'm not retired
7,208 Posts
I am going to have to disagree on this one. Just because the breech face exhibits higher wear on one side or the other, does not mean that the barrel hood or slide are outside of the Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerance values specified by the design engineer. There are probably flatness tolerances on the breech face and hood, as well as toleranced features of size adjoining.
It's wearing on one side more than the other. No fancy post is going to make me see it differently, but I already covered that when I said it probably isn't enough to worry about since it isn't galling. I don't care how you split the hairs.........it is wearing on one side more than the other....game, set, and match. Now, this is out in the open and Glock will have to look into into it. Ain't no Taurus G2's or G3's wearing like this.

It don't matter what the specs are...most people can't read or know the diff with gaps and tolerances, anyway. To look at it, it looks bad.

YdefendingaclearissueMMV

21 - 40 of 43 Posts