Breech face cut details?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ErminioB, Jun 10, 2020.

1. ErminioB

ErminioB

Good day. Thanks to this forum answer to the question I posted yesterday, I know now that Glock worked on improving the ejection pattern with the so called breech face cut. I looked in the forum and across the web for some info like pictures, why it improves the pattern, on which models/gens it can be found .. but so far no luck. Can anyone point me to such info? Thanks!

Buckshot Barry likes this.
  2. ViperR

ViperR

Can be found on all Gen 5's and pre Gen5 43X & 48.
    Really throws the brass far at 90 degrees. Up and over the booth walls LOL!
    Here are some pics with and without and what to look for. Can be easily viewed with just the slide locked back without having to field strip the pistol. A really great improvement for Glock. download (1).jpg download.jpg Cartridge Rim Cut.png

Papa glock and pgg00 like this.

3. Papa glock

Papa glock

Here’s a couple more pictures I found here on this forum

F49A67F2-CD38-4691-97DB-AEA2A950043B.jpeg 8729DE83-3C31-48F0-86C9-534BFC6B5DB4.jpeg

Intolerant and Mr Meeseeks like this.
  4. Fatboy2001

Fatboy2001

I had a G43 and have a G48. The difference in ejection between the two pistols is (was) dramatically different. I got rid of the G43 because of brass to my head (drawing blood). There was no rhyme or reason to it. I could fire 100 rds - no BTH. Then five right in row.

I sold it (43) to a lady acquaintance that was interested in an SD pistol for EDC. I told her why I was selling it - BTH. I took her to the range to test fire and see if she liked it. Shot it about fifty rds - no brass to her head. She shot it well and bought it. She is still happy with it and it is her primary EDC. The only thing I can think of is I'm a lefty and she is right handed. :dunno:
    I've got ~14k rounds through the 48 - not one brass to my head. :elephant:

Papa glock likes this.
  5. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Reason=inconsistent grip. You had a good grip for 100 rounds, then you changed your grip for 5.

6. dg370

dg370

Wrong. Not all Gen 5s have the cut. Only those that also have front serrations. There effectively are revision 1 and revision 2 Gen 5s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Fatboy2001

Fatboy2001

Bren, if you say so. Random good and bad grips. :animlol: How about spent cases that dribbled out on my wrist? Bad grip! :animlol: Or went out the left side of the gun? Bad grip! :animlol:

8. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

Intolerant and Papa glock like this.
  9. ErminioB

ErminioB

Thanks all for your info! I am looking at a G48, so I understand they all have the cut? BTW, are all G48s made in Austria?

10. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

Mines made in Austria and I’m 99% sure all have the cut

14710E7D-C22B-40D6-977B-73DBA1C1D7F0.jpeg

Intolerant likes this.
  11. dg370

dg370

I have a Gen 5 26 without the front serrations and it does not have the cut. I have a Gen 5 34 and 19 with the cut both have front serrations.
    Again, not all Gen 5s have the cut.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Intolerant likes this.
  12. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Yes. All of those things depend on how much you let the frame move with the recoil. As the frame moves with the recoil, the recoil moves the slide less, relative to the frame. You are basically stealing the energy that operates the gun. The result is the brass hitting the ejector weaker, which gives you a range of results from not even leaving the gun, to flying straight back at you (with a Glock) to strong ejection to the side, if you have a good grip. It would not hurt the average shooter any to understand something as fundamental as the cycle of functioning and what the parts do to make it work.

13. Nagoya10

Nagoya10

If you are at a public outdoor range, with no barriers between lanes, be mindful of where your cases eject from the Gen5 with the cut. Last summer I was banging away and one of the cases nailed the guy next to me pretty hard. He looked like he wanted to kick my ass. LOL

14. ActanonVerba70

ActanonVerba70

Mr Meeseeks - This is an excellent photo that shows the purpose of the breech cut (thanks Papa glock for posting):
    [​IMG]

15. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

My only disclaimer to n00bs would be.. don’t try to reproduce that photo with live ammo. Snap cap required :D

16. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

Color me skeptical, Fatboy seems like the kind of guy who sends a lot of lead down range. I’ve had Glocks that would do this, particularly with MIM or just worn extractors. While my marksmanship suffers from a few maladies, grip strength ain’t one of them.

Carbon buildup between the extractor and it’s little slot can occasionally cause this issue. This new breech face cut eliminates the issue all together, through clever engineering.

Intolerant, Fatboy2001 and Papa glock like this.
  17. ViperR

ViperR

I guess I stand corrected and no problem admitting it.
    When I went on the US Glock site, I clicked on "Gen 5" and only the 9mm's are in the Gen 5 as of now.
    My local shop was incorrect on their information and I guess you have to actually look at the breech with the slide locked back to see if it does or doesn't have it. Easy to do if you know what to look for and the pistol doesn't even have to be field stripped.

Papa glock likes this.
  18. bradleyepb

bradleyepb

[​IMG]
    Here’s my gen 5 19 with forward serrations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Papa glock likes this.
  19. bradleyepb

bradleyepb

When I bought my g19/5 a few months ago I was halfway through the paperwork when I realized I was getting a non forward serrations with the grip cutout and probably no
    Bfc. The salesman found a newer version for me and I got one with all the good updates thankfully. I feel it is a much better weapon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Intolerant

Intolerant

Some good info in this thread, some misleading. Guess i`ll go to the LGS and just snoop around.

.................:outtahere: ..............:couch: