1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Rational
14,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Spewer of TROOF
9,699 Posts
How did Islam find its way to Indonesia?

To the south is Australia, north to Asia and west to India. The people are more Asian than Arab.

I'd be interested to know if we are experiencing the same thing in the USA and Europe

·
Registered
32,821 Posts
How did Islam find its way to Indonesia?

To the south is Australia, north to Asia and west to India. The people are more Asian than Arab.

I'd be interested to know if we are experiencing the same thing in the USA and Europe
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_Indonesia

From wiki,

At the end of the 13th century the spread of Islam began in the areas of modern day Indonesia. At first, Islam was introduced through Arab Muslim traders, and then the missionary activity by scholars, and it was further aided by the adoption by the local rulers and the conversion of the elites.

In general, local traders and the royalty of major kingdoms were the first to adopt the new religion. The spread of Islam among the ruling class was precipitated as Muslim traders married the local women, with some of the wealthier traders marrying into the families of the ruling elite. Indonesian people as local rulers and royalty began to adopt it, and subsequently, their subjects mirrored their conversion.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
What people fail to realize about Indonesia. It is predominantly Muslim but the violence there is often mutual combat. Islamic terrorism certainly exists there many terrorist groups exist and call it home, but terrorism as we know it is mostly in the tourist areas. In the rest of the country it is more akin to mutual combat.
It very well could be a chicken or egg argument but this type incident is pretty common and church could be a mosque or religious ties could be replaced with social tribal affiliations.
Point is good and bad is not as obvious and the rest of the world's experience doesn't 100% apply in Indonesia .

·
Registered
16,723 Posts
What people fail to realize about Indonesia. It is predominantly Muslim but the violence there is often mutual combat. Islamic terrorism certainly exists there many terrorist groups exist and call it home, but terrorism as we know it is mostly in the tourist areas. In the rest of the country it is more akin to mutual combat.
It very well could be a chicken or egg argument but this type incident is pretty common and church could be a mosque or religious ties could be replaced with social tribal affiliations.
Point is good and bad is not as obvious and the rest of the world's experience doesn't 100% apply in Indonesia .
References please. I lived across the straits in Malaysia for 10 years and traveled to Jakarta for nearly 30. These is no history of Christian violence against Muslims in Indonesia.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I don't have references to provide you. I worked in the area and have some experience in counter terrorism.
Believe what you want. Just providing a different perspective.
Spent most of my adult life fighting mostly Islamic Terrorism, so I am certainly not excusing it or defending it. Indonesia in my experience is different outside the metro tourist areas.

·
Banned
21,402 Posts
And the libs like to point to Indonesia as a moderate Muslim nation. If they are in fact more moderate it is only because they don't speak Arabic and so are less corrupted by the Koran.

·
Banned
16,936 Posts
Any religion that wants to force their view point is evil. I am not that fond of the Central Baptist Church in town. There is a multi million dollar High School gym that could easily handle it, however the LISD, said band members who did not go and perform at the Central Baptist Church would receive a fail grade. Religion over reach as usual.

Imagine the outcry if there was a synagogue, and the same mandate was issued.

Reactions: Jade Falcon

·
Banned
21,402 Posts
Any religion that wants to force their view point is evil. I am not that fond of the Central Baptist Church in town. There is a multi million dollar High School gym that could easily handle it, however the LISD, said band members who did not go and perform at the Central Baptist Church would receive a fail grade. Religion over reach as usual.

Imagine the outcry if there was a synagogue, and the same mandate was issued.
And that is comparable to the OP how?

Reactions: Jade Falcon

·
Registered
16,723 Posts
I don't have references to provide you. I worked in the area and have some experience in counter terrorism.
Believe what you want. Just providing a different perspective.
Spent most of my adult life fighting mostly Islamic Terrorism, so I am certainly not excusing it or defending it. Indonesia in my experience is different outside the metro tourist areas.
I lived there.

There are no Christian terror groups attacking mosques in Indonesia.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts