Breaking: Reporter & Photographer Shot & Killed During Live Feed

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by TX OMFS, Aug 26, 2015.

1. OldSchool64

OldSchool64

I finally read and/or skimmed over this thread and liked the following post upon first read:

Then I saw the controversy and the discussion that post raised. Then I "liked" that post and his following post.

Yeah, I'm a rebel :tongueout:

But seriously, I have to agree that with the violent situations reports do (or potentially may have to) go into they should be trained about situational awareness, granted though, it may not have helped with this shooting. And yes, I've read posts about how situational awareness isn't always possible. But, some training (even if it is all commonsense to many of us) could be beneficial and sure as hell wouldn't hurt a thing.

tonyparson likes this.
  2. OldSchool64

OldSchool64

3. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

Wasn't Chris Kyle a seal too? How did he die again?

TBO likes this.
  4. OldSchool64

OldSchool64

Nice, or not.

But thanks for adding that. :whistling:

D-Ric902 likes this.
  5. HarlDane

HarlDane

The problem with that is cops and reporters have two vastly different reasons for interviewing people. A reporter and cameraman constantly scanning for threats and reacting to every person in the area makes for bad TV and is a solution to a problem that while tragic in this instance, isn't very common in the television news industry. The same can't be said for cops.

TBO likes this.
  6. nursetim

nursetim

For all y'all that are touting SA, I agree, if you going into the least bit questionable area. These folks were not. They were in a tourist area, the sun was shining, the birds were singing and all was right with the world. Why would you be looking for villains? I do not know what it is like to be an on air personality. I imagine that one would block out things to focus on the task at hand, but I don't know that for sure.

Would it hurt to have training on SA? Never hurts to train, but I highly doubt it would have made a difference in this case. Chris Kyle, a member of one of the most switched on tribe on this planet, got caught flat footed and this sucks, but it happens. We have the luxury of time, distance, and safety, to pick incidents apart. It is wrong to even infer that the victims played a culpable role in their demise is shameful.

If they were walking in Detroit yelling racial epithets, fair enough, that is playing a role in your own demise.

7. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

It's just a bunch of crap to keep hearing "situational awareness."

I know I did not say it in a PC way, but I thought everyone on this board hated people that were PC, right?

8. OGW

OGW SAF

There's no one here who couldn't be caught flat footed and shot or stabbed at some point (or many points) during their day.

nursetim and TBO like this.
  9. OldSchool64

OldSchool64

Yeah, I was expecting to catch some crap for going against the 'popular' in this thread about SA for reporters. But my point was that training and education is never a bad thing. And as I've said: I realize that it might not have helped with a shooting of the the nature involved here.

tonyparson likes this.
  10. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Reporters will now want police on scene when they do a interview,that'll put a strain on most agencies.'08.

11. Truckee

Truckee Aging Goat

Allow me to add that SA beyond the 216 LED, 5600k camera light staring you in the face is dang, pertneer impossible. That angle was Flanagan's approach.

Train away with SA. Such will never overcome circumstance.

RIP - Ms. Parker and Mr. Ward.
    God's Speed Mrs. Gardner.