(breaking) Large tornado touched down. North Dallas. Heavy damage

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by inthefrey, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Deltic

Deltic

I think concreate domes have the best chance of surviving tornadoes. At a minimum every school, hospital and government complex in tornado alley should have one IMO. It would be nice to have a tornado proof building in every neighborhood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the shortest vid I could find showing the building process.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwK2DU3Tj0E

cyberghostx13 and flyover like this.
  2. nmk

nmk

Every building in every neighborhood probably can't afford that.

Intolerant likes this.

3. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

I live about 3,500 feet west by northwest of that firehouse. I'm afraid my fav. coffee house immediately east of the firehouse is gone.
    The area around the firehouse is closed off to most traffic.
    Many people still have no power with no idea when power will be restored a friend right in there has my generator running right now. Several DISD schools are heavily damaged at least a couple totaled. Thomas Jefferson High School won't reopen until next fall. Several North Dallas private schools were hit to varying degrees. ESD, Saint Monica, Ursuline had at least some damage. Winston School took it hard and Saint Marks lost its lower school and its gym along with other damage. Everyone has seen pics of the leveled Home Depot that's a little further east.

A friend behind the Cantina Laredo at Preston Royal had multiple 2x4s driven into his roof and windows sucked out of the house.

I have a two sided back porch with a TV and cold beer......I was watching the Cowboys lay a firm beatdown on the guys from the city of brotherly shove.....the power flickered, the TV died, then the power went out for real. I flicked on my battery radio that sits right there. Grabbed a fresh beer (Founders All Day IPA if anyone is curious) with intent to listen to Brad Sham call the game. Then the weather got really weird. 30 seconds of a Houston worthy deluge - I mean explosive rain. Then nothing. No wind. No rain. And then noise to my south and east (for the locals I'm right at Royal and Inwood). The noise got louder. And then really loud. BTW I now know the freight train sound thing attributed to tornados is wrong. It's more like a jet engine on the ground. There was awesome and plentiful cloud to cloud lightning. Even with all the light the tornado looked like an giant gray blob. Just and amorphous mass moving quite slowly (I guess the things throw up so much dirt and debris and cause so much water spray an observer can't make out much). The blob did in fact vary from gray to sort of red and then for sure green back to gray. I don't have so much as a tree limb down and 500 feet away homes are gutted. I watched this thing go, as best I can tell, right over Ross Perot's long time compound, I'll be shocked if it didn't suffer damage. It moved east right over Jordan Spieth's home, causing great damage immediately east of there then crossing The North Dallas Tollway actually damaging walls along the Tollway and then it hammered The entire Preston Royal area that includes the Fire Station above. Then the damned thing just moved on east causing more damage.

I'd also like sound my displeasure over the obnoxious posts above running down people just because they've done well.

ETA - How/why lots of people aren't dead and grievously injured I'll never know.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    aircarver and Baba Louie like this.
  4. nmk

nmk

Who?

5. Badazuwanme2b

Badazuwanme2b

I’m in Fort Worth and no damage here. Prayers for all affected by the storm. My job is sending people over to Dallas for the next week or 2 to help cover the stores while the employees there that are affected can take care of there homes and whatnot.

6. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Post #9.

7. Deltic

Deltic

It doesn't have to be every building, their should just be one close by. They can be small or large, for instance the office at a trailer park could be 25' diameter dome and provide shelter for a lot of people. At a school make it big enough for a basketball court with bleachers and it will be big enough to shelter all of the children.

8. sombunya

sombunya Use it up, throw it away

I’ve been through some big quakes here. Whittier, 1987, Northridge, 1994. I’m well aware of what they can do. Unless I lived in a third world country without building codes, I’d be more afraid of tornadoes and hurricanes than earthquakes.

Intolerant and cyberghostx13 like this.
  9. flyover

flyover

At least one school and one community college in my AO has built one of these type of buildings. If I ever win the lottery I intend to build one as well.

Deltic and Intolerant like this.
  10. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

God Bless Texas.

ZERO DEATHS?!?!?!

Wow. (hard to imagine w/ that level of devastation)

Rebuild it? Yep, even better. Schools and some public bldgs should have some type of "fallout" safe shelter... if the public demands (and will pay)

Wherever you go (w/ the local plus or minus)... there you are (and you deal with it). Stay classy GT

11. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

File most of this in the rumor, hearsay and conjecture file:
    *Civil defense sirens went off early.
    *TV weather people went to DEFCON 1 saying things like, "likely tornado (insert place) take cover", "confirmed tornado (insert place) take cover."
    People smarter than me actually took cover.
    *Cowboys/Eagles watcher (read 80% of Dallas) saw an onscreen warning.
    *People around here pay little attention to tornado watches but lots of attention to warnings.
    *Schools were out. Thank goodness. Because several are wrecks.
    *The manager at the Forest & 75 Home Depot kicked everyone out of the store beforehand. Gutsy but prescient move as the building collapsed.

IMO we were 75% lucky and 25% ready to take cover and thank goodness it wasn't an F4 or 5.

ranger1968, flyover and Baba Louie like this.
  12. M&P15T

M&P15T All Hail King Kona

I really don't get the negative reactions to this post. It smells of virtue signaling.

He's not bashing wealthy people. Just saying it's one thing for a wealthy person to lose their home, another for those of meager financial means to lose their home.

Intolerant and ranger1968 like this.
  13. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    Thank you, someone who gets it.

Intolerant likes this.
  14. teeceetx

teeceetx

You left TX for NJ? Why on Earth would anyone do that?

cyberghostx13 likes this.
  15. teeceetx

teeceetx

You're gonna change your mind when the big one comes!

16. Cambo

Cambo

I lived in NJ most of my life. I built a business here. In 2013, I moved to TX to build a business there. 3 years and $95,000 later, I was out of money due to it's failure, and moved back to NJ to restart here.

In a year and a half, my 2nd NJ business became stronger than the first, and I'm making more money than I ever have before.

All of the employers I worked for while trying to build my TX business are / have been:
    1. Bankrupt due to stupid business practices.
    2. Fined by the government.
    3. Imprisoned.

I doubt I will ever set foot in that state again.

17. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    If even half of that is accurate ( I only qualify that based on the disclaimer at the beginning of your post) that's a great update, info-wise, thanks for posting it!

18. cyberghostx13

cyberghostx13 USMC "The Few The Proud"

Well the "Big One" is always gonna be comin' that's the nature of the beast and expression,as well. Now when the next 6 plus Quake comes it just depends where I am at the time. I could be in a fairly large open space with room to run, or I could be in an elevator on the 100th floor of a building, or in a vehicle under an overpass or on a bridge.

It's like us grunts when we over in Vietnam would say, "When your time comes, your times comes" and almost always the response was "There It Is". The one thing we all tried very hard to do was, "Try not to be stupid". Even then you could get capped by a sniper, one shot to the base of the neck, you are dead before you hit the ground.

So we didn't worry about that stuff. 'Cept one day when we were in an area that supposedly had snipers. Conversation went something like, well ifin it's me that gets capped by a sniper's bullet to the back of the neck, ifin I hafta ta go that's the way to go, dead before you hit the ground. Much better way than my squad leader and several others got. Semper-Fidelis and Salute To The Fallen image.jpeg

19. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

Daughter (fire/rescue) went on shift today they lost 4 fire stations and those are taking their people and equipment and operating out of undamaged stations.

She says the debris is so bad, they can't operate the equipment through it. They are going on foot ..

Principal problem is all the schools lost .. What to do with all the people who used to go there ?

.264 magnum likes this.
  20. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Just heard DISD has 3,000 kids who will need new schools.

To your daughter's point. Gotta love LEOS and EMS when things are falling apart.

aircarver likes this.