close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Breaking in New Glocks

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by willforu1, Mar 21, 2012.

1. willforu1

willforu1

Over the past two days I bough two new Glocks over the internet. I purchased a NIB Glock 22 Gen4 and I purchased a Glock 20 that has 10-20 rounds through it.

My question is the following: Is there a breaking in process with a new glock? Any special cleaning or lubing prior to firing or anyting like this that I should do? Must I fire a few boxes of rounds before I can expect the best performance etc?

Also, how do you work that crappy little plastic loader they give you with the Gen 4's. I can't seem to get the little piece of crap to work. Anyone else think this is a peice of junk that is not worth the 2 cents it has cost Glock to make?

2. Glock40man

Glock40man

Clean, shoot and, repeat.:supergrin: Oh yeah, make sure to test your carry ammo. Congrats on the new Glocks!:cool:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012

3. Gnflorida

Gnflorida

When I bought mine, I bought rounds and have put 1300 through without a single malfunction. And the speedloader you insert the round till it stops, then pull up slightly to push the round the rest of the way into the mag. Happy shooting :)

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

4. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

What he said. Generally Glocks dont need break in,"some" of the Gen 4 9mm's had an issue but not all/most.

:50cal:

5. MikeG36

MikeG36

Shoot the heck out of it!

6. bac1023

bac1023

Just shoot them. :cool:

7. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

Congrats on the new pistols. I agree with the others--just have fun shooting!

8. Glockrunner

Glockrunner HOOYA DEEPSEA

Break-in time isn't so much for the gun as it is for the new owner.
    Read the manual and follow the instructions before going to the range. Learn the gun and it's major components.

9. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

There's no break-in needed, just put enough rounds through it to make sure it works. Each time I've gotten a new Glock I put 100 rounds through it, but 50 should be fine.

When I get a new Glock, I run a clean dry patch down the bore of the barrel to make sure it's clear of obstructions and excess oil, and I run another patch over the breech face and under the extractor claw for the same purpose. Then I lubricate with small drops of oil according to the instruction manual and go shoot. When I get home I give it a full field strip cleaning.

When I put a drop of oil in each slide rail, I hold the slide with the muzzle down and put the drop into the rear of each slide rail, then let gravity carry that drop toward the muzzle and use a patch to pick up any excess at the muzzle end. Make sure not to get any excess oil into the slide's internal parts such as the firing pin channel, around the firing pin safety, and around the extractor. Excess oil in those areas will collect a lot more residue and brass flakes which can lead to various malfunctions.

And you're right, the magazine loader that comes with Glock's isn't the best. I use it to push the top round down, then slide the next round halfway in, then pull the loader up and push the round fully in. If you want a better loader, try an Uplula.

He uses a little too much in each spot:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGobEpUO3Uc"]Proper Lubrication of an Glock Pistol (#2) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fx0-hMFako"]Pistol Cleaning by Nutnfancy: The Glock Example - YouTube[/ame]

10. vmann

vmann Controller

the way i use the crappy plastic mag loader that comes with a new glock is to put it in the trash can....

11. Gperfection

Gperfection

Like he said, shoot the he** out of it!
    The beauty of owning a Glock is, you can spend more time shooting and less time cleaning.

12. bruzer

bruzer

DO NOT LISTEN TO THESE GUYS, THERE IS A PROPER WAY TO BREAK-IN A NEW GLOCK!!! I am the only one that knows it and will be happy to break-in your new Glocks properly for FREE!!! Yes you heard correctly, FOR FREE! I only do this because I am such a nice guy. Simply send all your new Glocks to me and I will ensure a proper break-in procedure is done before I send them back to you. Customer satisfaction is guaranteed and your Glocks will thank you for it.
    Mike

13. Paul53

Paul53 Wikid smaht!

So generous of you! Air pretty thin up there in Grants Pass?

14. hunter 111

hunter 111

I was always told to leave the copper colored grease in and shoot it till tired

15. barth

barth six barrels

16. willforu1

willforu1

OK guys. I just posted last night that i bought a Glock 20 by Auction and picked it up Monday, my Glock 22 arrived at the FFl Tuesday and today I went to buy a paddle holster and I put away a Glock 34 on a lay Away plan. The Glock was a range glock and they change them out every season. It looked hardly shot! So I bought the G34 for 529$

3 days - 3 Glocks! What is the record?

17. barth

barth six barrels

LOL - I can't touch that.
    Did buy 6 barrels for my G27 in about 1 month.
    Barth Six Barrels
    [​IMG]

18. Snapper2

Snapper2

Chief brokem pale face record for barrels. Seems willforu1 did breakem record for many guns in few moons. Squaw would not lay under TeePee with Running wit Snappers for many moons last time he try this.:rofl:

19. Pier23

Pier23

Are you generously supplying the ammo, or does that have to be included with the Glock?

20. Glock40man

Glock40man

Wow! You're on a roll. Congrats!:cool: