close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Breaking in my new Glock 19

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by jeffpa, Feb 20, 2005.

Tags:
  1. jeffpa

jeffpa

Hi all! I'm new to this board and I have a Question concerning my soon to be had Glock 19. Is there anything I should do to "break" my gun in? I'm going to bring it home, clean it, then shoot it. I'm probably only going to shoot standard pressure loads threw it. I saw 100 round value packs of rem 115 jhps and 50 round win 115 jhps. Has anyone had any kind of problems with this ammo? I'm like a kid on christmas eve (I pick it up this tuesday) I traded in my sig sauer p229 in a 40 cal for it. I know its going to sound crazy, but I couldnt shoot my sig very well. Plus cheaper ammo with the 9mm, less percieved recoil, less flash etc. Anyway, thanks in advance and I intend to learn a lot from this forum.

2. TommyJ

TommyJ

Just shoot and shoot and shoot. Do a search on glock accuracy and you'll find a target which will analyze your shooting. Your grip is important as it affects the operation of your glock as far as misfeeds etc. If you have any problems it is usually related to what is known here as limp-wristing or you have a follower on your magazines that don't work with hollow points. I have a G19 and love it. Happy shooting. TJ

3. Cross-X

Cross-X CLM

When you clean it, it might be a very good idea to leave the orange colored grease on the slide. This is antiseize compound, put there by the factory to assist with the breakin.

This grease will disappear on its own.

4. Jaltered

Jaltered

I just took mine straight to the range and shot over 100 rounds when I first got my G19. I didn't clean it until afterwards.

If you have 10-round mags, there is a good chance that hollow points won't feed properly. If you have 15-round mags, you shouldn't have a problem with hollow points.

Enjoy yourself and be safe! :cool:

5. vafish

vafish

Just Clean, Lube, Shoot, and Repeat.

What I did was go to Walmart and get a few of the 100 round WWB FMJ packs. Put at least 2 of them (packs of 100, not bullets) through the gun, then switch to the hollow points.

6. jeffpa

jeffpa

How do I know which followers I have in the mags? Do they have numbers on them? I'm glad the ban went away. I'm getting the 2 15 rounders. Do some of the 15 rounders have bad followers?

7. Jaltered

Jaltered

With new 15-rounders, you should be just fine. It's the 10-round clintonized mags that had problems. I used to have jams with my 10-round mags, but I haven't had a single jam of any kind with ANY ammo since getting 15-rounders. :cool:

8. jeffpa

jeffpa

OK thank you Jaltered (and everyone). I was hoping the 15 rounders would be ok. Im going to shoot about 50 win usa 115 fmjs, then 50 win usa 115 hps, then 50 rem umc 115 hps, and possibly repeat. I'll let you all know how it goes tomorrow!

9. shootingbuff

shootingbuff Millennium Member

Well how did you and your Glock work out?

All you had to do was punch the bore and shoot the darn thing. As stated the orange grease is there to help break in. Leave it on or take it off I have seen no difference.

I have all types of mags with all types of followers. Not any problems here YMMV.

Luck,

sb

10. ledgenoodle

ledgenoodle

just shoot it a ton..
    i got some upgrades on mine shortly after buying it..night sights, 3 1/2 pound trigger job, and a slide release extension.

11. jeffpa

jeffpa

Hi all, everything went great. I shot about 50 rounds of wwb 115 fmj. Then 50 wwb 115 hp, then 50 american eagle 124 fmj, then 50 rem 115 umc hp. First off, I love the overall feel of my glock. It fits my hand much better than my old sig (I know for some that is hard to believe) The recoil felt great. My groups were much better than my old sig (again, hard for some to believe) Many holes were touching each other, although high and to the left(my fault not the pistol's) Every round functioned great. The pistol never jammed, stovepiped, nothing bad to say. I love the trigger, personally.

Out of all the ammo, I liked the wwb fmjs and hp. The rem umc seemed flashy and seemed to have more recoil, but grouped well. The american eagle had more recoil, but grouped well. The recoil,flash, sound, etc of wwb was the best, more managable, and grouped the best.
    Field stripping my glock was as easy as my old sig.

The only gripe, if I really have one, was the magazines springs were tight, I had trouble getting my 15th round in, but I know thats because they are new.

WOW GLOCK 19, Where have you been my whole life?

12. shootingbuff

shootingbuff Millennium Member

Good to hear you had a positive experince. Now the more you shoot it the more you will like it. Watch out Glocks seem to multiply around here ;f

late,

sb

13. jeffpa

jeffpa

Hey all, just to update I fired roughly 200 more rounds of mostly win 115 hp through my g19. No malf. of any kind, and I'm getting much more accurate with it. Also, Bass Pro Shop has wwb 115 hp for a dollar cheaper than wal mart, in case anyone was looking.

14. RENEA

RENEA Black Rifle guy

Clean & lube then hit the range.:) Congrats & enjoy;c

15. Rick O'Shay

Rick O'Shay

In my way of thinking, the Glock pistol is the equivalent of the Toyota Camry. It's the most sensible, reliable, cost-effective, and smartest buy. The standard to which all others try to measure up.

Don't mean to step on loyal-car-folks's toes. MHO

16. jeffpa

jeffpa

Upon re-reading my above post, I may have been a little too critical of my old sig. I had full confidence of it's reliability. It never jammed, no fte or ftf. If it would have been a p-226 (9mm), I may have never bought my G19. For whatever reason I just wasn't accurate at all with my sig p-229. My brother shot it just once at about 10 yards and he grouped about the size of a grapefruit, so it wasn't my pistol's fault. And yes that sig was my first pistol. So....long story short, sigs are great pistols, I would strongly recommend a first timer to go with a 9mm. I really like the 9mm for several reasons. I carry wwb 115 gr and do not feel "undergunned" at all.