Glock 43 Breaking in my 43

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by thechriskarel, Jun 6, 2020.

1. thechriskarel

thechriskarel

Had two FTEs in the first 75 rounds and then ran flawlessly the next 225 rounds. Anything to stress over? I plan to go back out next weekend and put 200 more thru it.

SK2344 likes this.
  2. Spartan24

Spartan24

I wouldn’t stress that. Everything is new. I’ve had new Glocks do the exact same. Couple chokes initially and then flawless. Don’t get me wrong, I’d carry it, but I’d like some more range trips.

thechriskarel likes this.

3. Toocool45

Toocool45

I would not stress over it. But I would clean it before the next trip to the range.

walkin' trails likes this.
  4. checkyoursix

checkyoursix

I wouldn’t. New guns need a minimum of break in at times, particularly if you did not lube it.

glock1097 likes this.
  5. thewoods868

thewoods868 thewoods868

yes you should definitely trade it for a p365

1smoothredneck and agarr like this.
  6. GlockyQ

GlockyQ Custom Title

By “FTE” do you mean “Failure-To-Eject” or “Failure-To-Extract”? If you meant “FTEject,” it can happen with weak ammo, loose grip or both.

No, I wouldn’t worry about it, especially if the gun was brand new with a fresh RSA.

V Gehts likes this.
  7. Teufelhunde

Teufelhunde

Any mechanical device that has metal and/or plastic parts rubbing against each other separated only by a thin film of oil, or by nothing, will need just a little bit of time for the parts to "get used" to each other. As long as there have been no more issues, I wouldn't sweat it.....

YMMV

Lon

glock1097 and thechriskarel like this.
  8. DLL9mm

DLL9mm

Clean it, oil it, rack the slide about 100 times, run 50-100 rds of 124 or 147gr ammo through it.
    That is what I do with a new gun.

walkin' trails likes this.
  9. Dave Lively

Dave Lively

I have had a few guns that had a few failures in the first range session but ran great for thousands of rounds after that. Including a Sig 220, HKUSP45 and most recently my Sig P365. I don't stress over it but wont trust them until they have 500 trouble free rounds through them.

I saw friends have the same thing happen, even with guns that have a great reputation for reliability like a Glock 23.

10. 2740dmx

2740dmx

I fire 124gr ammo through my new Glock pistols and that has done the trick for me with clean ejection.
    I load my mags to capacity and let them sit for a day or two before initial break in as well.
    And I always field strip and lube before initial range sessions as well.

IAhunter likes this.
  11. IAhunter

IAhunter Venor ergo sum

Just north of the wall, Cochise County, Arizona
    I like to break them in for a couple hundred rounds with NATO ball ammo. It's a touch hotter than regular ball.

12. sig357fan

sig357fan

regardless of caliber or manufacturer of the handgun, run 100 rounds of hotter ammo first outing, whether you buy it or reload it, run to the higher end of velocity and weight, in 9 mm, 124 gr. NATO ball is a good choice.

Doing this serves a couple purposes, hotter ammo usually burns cleaner so less fouling, you'll get a good feel for the trigger/recoil when you run SD ammo and every handgun I've broke in this way has worked flawlessly when fed good ammo.

the next step for me is to run to 500 rounds with practice ammo before a detailed cleaning, field strip it, brush out the internals and the bore, oil it and wipe it down after each range session, takes about 30 seconds.

detailed-deep cleaning at the 500 round mark, inspect every part, I'll carry it at this point but I'll be doing the same with another 1000 rounds.

basically I'm trying to find the "choke" point, but to be truthful, I've yet to find it with any of the Glocks I've owned.

after 1500 rounds I quit keeping track, I'll clean it the same way after each range session with a detailed-deep cleaning annually, usually the day after Thanksgiving, just what I do.

G19 fan likes this.
  13. APERS

APERS

What round exactly..? Mine would misfeed with 147gr XTP. But would eat 115 and 124gr XTP all day. All factory Hornady ammo BTW. Is very accurate with all of em though, the 147's being the best of the three. OAL matters with the G43 magazines was my conclusion after a lot of cash spent. Only Glock I've had ammo issues with. But still an excellent carry gun.

14. SK2344

SK2344

I never had to brake in any of my Glocks and I have had many in the last 20 years. Glock i designed to be a Combat weapon and it is good to go, right out of the box! NO BREAK IN NECESSARY!

15. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

Many say this, but what of situations like this one that has had some early FTE's? Is your suggestion this gun is flawed?

I don't buy that. Any gun needs to be checked out, and some new guns have a few issues during the early rounds. Is it what most see? No, not for Glock. Is it unheard of? Absolutely not.

If it were my gun, I would ensure it was the gun (not the shooter), and see how it fares in subsequent rounds. Odds are his G43 will settle in and run just fine. It isn't magic or perfect. It is a gun. People, ammo, debris, and gun mechanical issues can induce issues. Glock isn't immune to any of that. Better than some other brands? Sure, I'd accept that. Perfect out of the box? Too many have experienced otherwise for that to be believable.

thechriskarel, yep380 and SK2344 like this.
  16. walkin' trails

walkin' trails

When the micro 9s started appearing several years ago, there were stories of how unreliable they were. Then John Connor of American Handgunner tested a new Shield in .40, stressing that he first disassembled, cleaned and lubricated the piece. He had a couple of failures to do something or another, but the gun smoothed out and ran fine. To date, I have broken in two 9mm Shields, a G43, and a G43X. Before going to the range, each got lubed, maybe even a little over excessively. All ran flawlessly! I don’t worry about them if left in factory stock form. I’ve run 115, 124, and 147 FMJ, and pretty much 147 grain Speer and Ranger through them. The only concerns I ever noted was my G43 not always wanting to feed a Speer Gold Dot G2 from slide lock if using the slide lock lever to release the slide. That problem only manifested itself when I was running +2 base plates, and pulling back and releasing the slide caused the rounds to feed properly. Nevertheless, I removed the +2s, and live with 6-round mags, carrying about four extras. No, i don’t consider two FTEs during the first couple-hundred rounds to be a problem. It’s just breaking in. What i consider a problem is when your preferred defensive ammunition, as long as its a relatively conventional design, FTEs from an otherwise clean and properly lubricated pistol at 500-1000 rounds.

17. SK2344

SK2344

No, I'm just commenting from my experience with the Glock Platform and usage. I totally understand that problems can happen to any gun, new or used but the Glock has proven over the years to be very reliable right out of the box and I never had to break one in, so to speak and none of my friends who own glocks have had to break in their Glocks, Maybe just lucky I guess!

boilergonzo likes this.
  18. yep380

yep380

Did you clean and oil it first? Some say they never do, I always do.

What ammo?

Did you test with any carry ammo?

I like to run at least 200 rounds of range fodder and 50 rounds of my preferred carry ammo through a new gun before carrying it. If it checks out, good to go.

19. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    Happy Flag Day. :waving:
    Last I heard, you couldn't find a BL. How'd you get it? :)

20. thechriskarel

thechriskarel

Yeah I finally got one! A semi-local shop had one left, the only one in western PA to my knowledge. So I jumped on it. Paid more due to them being a smaller shop but I was tired of waiting.