Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many rounds should it take to break in a new Glock. I am getting a 33 in the next couple of weeks. I carry a 31 now that I bought from a friend.

·
TEXAS COWBOY
722 Posts
I have a G31 and a G33...I'm not sure what Glock says the break in is....but, mine have shot the same from the first round to the last one I fired. It didn't seem to me, that I had to break 'em in. Congratulations, you got the good stuff(357sig). You, like me, shoot what the big boys shoot!!!

·
Glock Sportsman
1,363 Posts
Glocks never needed a break in period before. However, with gen 4, some of them needed a few hundred rounds to break in the spring, specifically the G19.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nobody told me that it needs to broke in. No offense to anybody. I do know that the Gen4's need to be because of the spring issues in the 17. Just want to make sure that I fire enough rounds to make sure that I will not have any problems with my carry gun.

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
There is no break-in, just a first range trip to make sure the gun works. The number of rounds you put down range is up to you, I put 188 through my G23 the first time and 120 through my G27 the first time, with 20 rounds of my chosen JHP self-defense ammo each time.

Make sure to test the gun with any magazines you plan to use in it. If you plan to use your G31 magazines as back-ups for the 33, make sure to test those magazines in the 33.

Before shooting it for the first time, I run a dry patch down the bore of the barrel just to make sure there are no obstructions or excess oil in there. I also run a dry patch over the breech face and extractor claw. When I bought my G27, the breech face and extractor were literally dripping with oil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is subjective and a matter of cost. While most (if not all) Glocks do not require a break in period, some users feel more comfortable after a certain number of rounds. Most of my buddies feel that a handgun or AR style rifle needs 4-500 rounds to ensure proper function and reliability. That is a personal preference though.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I make sure to put a few hundred rounds thru it before carrying it

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
How many rounds should it take to break in a new Glock. I am getting a 33 in the next couple of weeks. I carry a 31 now that I bought from a friend.
I find that Glocks feel ... "stiff" I guess is the word ...for the first 500 rounds. Then the action seems to loosen up.

I'm no expert, but if I get a brand new Glock, I shoot 500 rds first, with the copper lube from the factory in place, not cleaning it during this time. Then I clean it, and test the gun plus the mags with my carry JHPs of choice. A hundred rds or so of that with no failures, and I consider it GTG.

A gun is really blooded, though, when it makes it through a weekend course with zero malfunctions.

·
Controller
2,620 Posts
i prefer the term shake down....i always do a shake down with any brand new firearm...a minimum of 250 rounds before i feel its ready for carry....

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
The trigger will certainly smooth out but that takes a lot of rounds down range. Mostly I would make certain that, if you plan to use it for home defence or carry, the ammo you choose cycles properly.

Good choice on the 33. I've fired them but don't own one yet.

Dave

·
Retired USAF-SP
181 Posts
I'm not sure about a "break in" but I will not carry any weapon until it has digested 3-500 rds of various ammo and around 50 rds of my carry ammo w/o issues.

8,219 Posts
Clean the gun and oil it before you first use it then run a mag through it. If it works its good to go.

·
Banned
466 Posts
Just one, after that you are good to go.:wavey:

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
A couple hundred for me and as much of my carry ammo as possible, this is what I call my "break in" period!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Bought a new G 23 this week (my first glock). Broke it down, ran a new bore snake through it a few times, had the shop owner check it out, then I put it back together, went out behind the store and put 50 rounds through it. He said it was good to go. Now when some of this snow melts....I'll break it in some more.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts