Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post on this forum here, so sorry if it has been asked before. How many rounds should I put through my new Glock 19 to break it in?

I've been to the range once with it, and so far it's a great gun. I put about 100 rounds through it. The only problem I've had, is that the slide was not locking back. I presume this is an issue with the magazines needing to break in. Any advice?

Thanks

·
Gun User
1,038 Posts
put 300-400 threw it, to make sure its reliable and thats about it. magazine problem I would say to try a different magazine if that don't work i would say to call glock and get their .02

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Everyone I have asked about this just says "Its a Glock."

So I haven't really worried about any true down-to-paper break-in process...but I would still run a BoreSnake through it every 300 rounds or so...

·
Registered
930 Posts
New Glock:

1. Clean gun
2. Load magazines
3. Shoot

4. Repeat process with less emphasis on cleaning.

Check your mags to make sure there's nothing rattling around in there------check your slide catch to make sure there's nothing binding.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
I go and put about 100-200 rounds and are good to go...I have yet to own a Glock that has ever experienced any type of problem...plus who's to say its not going to fail at round 401??? Kinda like a car do you need to put so many miles on it before you take it on a trip?? Just drive it like you stole it!!!!

·
Banned
2,733 Posts
Are you sure you aren't holding your thumb on the slide release and that's what causeing the slide not to lock back? I was so used to shooting 1911s that I hold my glocks in a simialr fashion, and I thought there was something wrong with mine because it wouldn't lock back, then I realized i was pushing the slide release down with my thimb unintentionally. Otherwise, inspect the slide release and see if anything looks funny, if not, send that thing back.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Captians1911, Bingo! I just looked at my hold on the gun and my right thumb rests right on the slide release. ummm....duh! Like you, I've shot a lot of 1911's and thats never been a problem.

So what should I do with my thumbs? Pictures?

·
NRA Member
2,412 Posts
Captians1911, Bingo! I just looked at my hold on the gun and my right thumb rests right on the slide release. ummm....duh! Like you, I've shot a lot of 1911's and thats never been a problem.

Shoot left-handed. :whistling:

·
Banned
774 Posts

Here's my grip. Both thumbs are off the gun.

·
Banned
2,733 Posts

When shooting glocks, I hold it the same way as a 1911 only my right thumb rests on the top of my left thumb rather than on the side of the frame.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you have the extended slide release its easy to hold it down on accident. I put one on and was either locking the slide back in the middle of mags or I was closing it after the last round. Took it off and problem gone. I'm sure I could learn to use the extended one properly but I like the standard one just as well.

·
Banned
2,733 Posts
If you have the extended slide release its easy to hold it down on accident. I put one on and was either locking the slide back in the middle of mags or I was closing it after the last round. Took it off and problem gone. I'm sure I could learn to use the extended one properly but I like the standard one just as well.
I like the extended one just casue it makes alot easier when manually locking slide back, I have gotten used to shooting without my thumb on it.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
In my experience, Glocks and Sigs do not require "breaking in" like 1911s. Glocks are ready to go out of the box - but, it is always a good idea to clean and lube a new firearm before shooting.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts