Breaking GLOCK strikers

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by KEN THE VIKING, Oct 9, 2005.

1. KEN THE VIKING

KEN THE VIKING

Have talked to several people who had their strikers on their G34 broken.
    Looks like it hits on the side on the firing pin hole and shaves them off more and more.

Is this a common problem, is it a only G34 problem, and what can be done to prevent this ?
    Changing strikers does not help.

Tried a search but didn't find any help.

2. Speedrock

Speedrock "To The Point"

"...strikers on their G34 broken."

Quite a few shooters know from IDPA & USPSA have no trouble with shaving/breaking of the OEM strikers on their 34/35's over the years.

Own 34 has close to 15K handloads thru it with original striker, FWIW.

3. KEN THE VIKING

KEN THE VIKING

OK, so it's not a problem with all G34, but have others had the same problem or is it a European problem ? And does it happen with other models ?

I've never heard of it before 3 different guys on a gun forum told me that it happen to their GLOCKS, and it all was G34's, all in Norway. They still dont know what to do.

4. SlammedDime

SlammedDime G23 Member

They don't know what to do? All they have to do is their put a call in to a glock dealer or glock themselves, or they can replace it themselves if they can get the part.

As far as your question, I think its quite a cooincidence that 3 guys with G34's all in the same region had firing pin problems, so my answer would be to get the gun if you like it, and shoot the hell out of it. :)

5. KEN THE VIKING

KEN THE VIKING

Well, I guess the part is the slide, because it does not help to replace the strikers as I wrote. I dont think the dealer will give them a new slide that easy, and it's a serial problem also.

I'm not into buying a G34, just wanted to help these guys. As for coincedence, Norway has a 4 mill pop and very strict gun laws, so basicly i guess there's sold less than 500 G34's in Norway. And how many of those owners are on that forum I was on ?

We dont have a official GLOCK dealer, and for calling we would have to call Austria.

I guess it could be a problem with a lot that was sold to Norway, since apparently no one here has this problem or heard of it..

6. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

I've owned Glock for nine years and have fired over 100,000 rounds through my various Glocks, including a G34 and have never experienced a broken firing pin. Only broken part was a trigger spring in a used 1989 G17L.

7. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

I've had the firing pin on a 23 chip so that it left a very pointed end on it. As to the firing pin rubbing the slide and shaving metal off the pin, that would seem to be occuring only if the channel liner was missing or damaged.

8. Flexmoney

Flexmoney

I have seen more than enough chipped Glock striker tips to call it un-common.

I have two in the house. A buddy has a couple.

We do shoot them a lot.

9. VN350X10

VN350X10

Ken,
    Just out of curiousoty(sp), are all 3 of the guns from the same production lot, that is do they all have the same letter prefix in front of the ### in the serial numbers ?
    Possibly a small lot of strikers got thru that wern't properly heat treated ?
    Given the small number of the pistols in Norway, that might be a possibility. If so I'm sure Glock will work with the guys to make it right.

Here in the States, the only component of a firearm that needs a serial # is the frame or receiver. What is required to be numbered in Norway ? I realize that numerous European countries have different requirements as to serial number placement on different components.

shoot safe

uncle albert

10. KEN THE VIKING

KEN THE VIKING

Serial number must be on frame and slide. It's not bad strikers, becouse when they put in new strikers the problem continues. The striker hits the side of the hole in the slide and shaves off the striker tip bit by bit. That's what they told me.

11. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Some people replace the 9mm striker with a 40 S&W striker.The tip is a bit longer to reach through the thicker slide face of the 40's.The overall length of the strikers should be the same.It's just the front shoulder of the striker is a bit farther back making the narrow part of the tip longer.Make sure you know which striker is really in the pistol.The 40 caliber striker is marked.I think it's marked with a "40" stamped in it.

12. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Check or replace the channel liner.

13. KEN THE VIKING

KEN THE VIKING

Yea, one of them bought a new channel liner from me.Donno what happened afterwards

14. Glock4Life

Glock4Life

You beat me to it, I was just thinking the same thing. I can't understand what else would allow the slop that would have to be present to cause this problem.

15. VN350X10

VN350X10

Ken,
    Going back to my question about guns from the same production run...
    What if the guns ARE from the same run & during the machining of the slide, the tooling was just a bit off ? If the striker hole in the breechface is off center, this could cause the problem. Since it has shown up on 3 different guns I think this MIGHT be a manufacturing problem, not an individual gun problem. Especially since you stated that changing the striker DIDN'T cure the problem.
    You might want to find a different model in the same caliber & measure the dimensions precisely to the striker hole.

This is a rather baffleing problem, & it would be very interesting to get to the bottom of it.

Please keep us informed if you find anything.

uncle albert

16. VN350X10

VN350X10

Also have to add, my G34 (The Velvet Elvis) has well in excess of 10,000 rds in competition & who knows how much in practice with a total of 1 malfunction in that time. And that one was MY fault !

All internal parts are the ones delivered in the pistol. Some aren't in the configuration that Glock delivered, but they were stock Glock parts at one time, & even with the severe modifications, no breakage. Trigger pull is still the consistant 2 1/2 lbs that I started with several years ago.

uncle albert

17. KEN THE VIKING

KEN THE VIKING

One of the G34 involved has serial CVX7xx (european 1998 production).
    Will try to get atleast on more serial.

18. KEN THE VIKING

KEN THE VIKING

One other with the same problem has also starting serial CVX7xx. I'll contact GLOCK Austria.

19. VN350X10

VN350X10

Looks like you might have your answer Ken. I would like to know if the 3rd pistol is also from the CVX7xx series. Glock would probably like to know also.

Good shooting my friend & good luck.

uncle albert

20. KEN THE VIKING

KEN THE VIKING