Break Out The Popcorn--Gen 1 17 Cutaway

Discussion in 'Glock Collector's Club' started by L.A.Tactical, Sep 24, 2020.

1. fflpro

fflpro

One of the disappointments to me when first acquiring guns like the 17R, was that the trigger, although it does reset, does not act exactly like the regular 17 counterpart, which, in my opinion, was entirely the point of using it for classes and training folks.

The trigger has a different feel to the travel, doesn't have the same break, and frankly, does not actually train the user(s) in using a Glock on the trigger as well as other third party solutions. Therefore I've moved to the Simunition Pistols and then the Dvorak Tetherless system for actual trigger training. Everything else (sight picture, fitment, and even trigger feel up to a point, works well with the 17R, until you want to pull the trigger, or take a follow up shot without the pretravel).

The Simunition actually ejects casing if using the blanks, and can also fire the marking/nonmarking rounds, which is a plus if you need to shoot at targets. The Dvorak (infrared system usually, but can also be visible dot) has to have a special mag insert, but you can buy their new type which is refillable, so no co2 cartridges. I've also tried the reset trigger from GlockStore, and it seemed to work well - have never tried putting one of those into the 17R though. I believe it might fit with some possible smithing changes, since the 17R has some singular components to do what it does.

DJ Niner and glockhoarder like this.
  2. fflpro

fflpro

I believe I can answer questions here, but not initiate them for myself? I will post the question on the auction to avoid being ramrodded by the admins.

Adam4, L.A.Tactical and glockhoarder like this.

3. professor309

professor309

I agree on the 17R.
    I bought one as a collector piece and was disappointed on any potential use for training. I own R, P, and T versions and the R is the most disappointing. My SIRT is better and the DryFireMag I borrowed is decent. The CoolFire trainer is decent but the slide is a bit sluggish.

By far, I get the most training use out of my CO2 Airsoft 17G4, manufactured by Umerex. Blocking the magazine to prevent lockback, I get about 80 fry-fire cycles out of it per cartridge. With a bit of dremal work, I was able to fit a backstrap to it. I’ve also installed the same sights I use on my match and carry guns. The only downside is the slide is slightly wider than a 17. A 21 holster fixes that.
    I’d like to get the infrared laser barrel for it someday and start working with cameras and simulator software.

If Glock would build a G17 sized G44, I’d be all over that too.

I didn’t know they made blank siminution rounds for the 17T, I’ll have to look into that too.

DJ Niner likes this.
  4. fflpro

fflpro

I'll b
    Yes, the blanks still throw out the cartridge, but no projectile. I have plenty, glad to send you out a handful at no charge if you would like to test the rounds (assuming you have a 17T or similar conversion unit on the glock). As it turns out, I'm gravitating toward the UTM since they have a slightly different round and upper (which also fits into 17T Gen3 and Gen4) which doesn't jam like the was simunition rounds.

5. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

Did these early CAs come with the Glock sticker on the lid?

Someone else here who owns in early cut away in the original Box has posted photos with that same sticker. I just assumed that somewhere along the line someone stuck it on there. Now that I see it on this one too it looks like these very early cutaways came with that sticker on the lid.

Was this a sticker that was available at some point or only stuck one these lids by Glock? I don't follow stickers very closely.

Screenshot_20200927-214730_Gallery.jpg

Jayman28 likes this.
  6. mtstream

mtstream

glockhoarder likes this.
  7. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

8. Trench Sweeper

Trench Sweeper On the day of your birth death began stalking you

KY where the taxes are as high as half the people
    This. I don't understand the fascination.

9. premiertactical

premiertactical

Well if you only purchase firearms to shoot them and nothing else then it cannot be easily explained.
    Oh wait it can... Persons buy all sorts of things they have no intention of actually using.
    Coin collecting, stamp collecting and on and on.

Why does those simple and yet extremely popular hobbies above defy logic.

You have over 9000 posts on this forum. So you are at least passionate about posting here. Many would not understand your fascination with a public forum. But you post despite what others may think could be a waste of time.

What’s so hard about understanding persons and where their interests lay?

glockhoarder, Adam4 and davedc like this.
  10. mtstream

mtstream

History and rarity.

Even modern ones are useful. I keep a Gen3 cutaway on my desk to drop aftermarket parts into to better observe their function and use the pistol to help when troubleshooting odd issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJ Niner, glockhoarder, Adam4 and 2 others like this.
  11. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

I don't understand the fascination with a great many hobbies and interests that others have.

I don't go to their forums and state so as there is no point.

That said, like PT noted, what's so hard to understand that others have different interests than you? In fact, for any given person there are countless others who have different interests then they do. Again, not that my opinion matters at all but what I don't understand is why you posted that comment here. Not prob doing so of course, but I just don't get it.

davedc, Adam4 and premiertactical like this.
  12. patcrad

patcrad

Sorry, my original comment was pure sarcasm. My comments are interpreted differently by those that know me and by those who are familiar with my fascination with rare and unique Glock items. My avatar photo in this forum is a Gen 1 cutaway for Pete’s sake! I recently LOST in an auction for a Gen 1 cutaway (along with a Gen 2 19) that sold for over $5k. I don’t have time to write a lengthy response about why I feel these are rare and desirable, but I don’t need too. The auction sale will demonstrate that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davedc, Adam4 and L.A.Tactical like this.
  13. Trench Sweeper

Mostly because I hoped someone would tell me what I am missing.

14. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

Ok... I'll try.

Obviously, different guns interest different gun people.

For Glock collectors, like the collectors of may other guns, the very earliest ones instill a great deal of interest and thus are priced accordingly via supply and demand.

The Gen 1 cutaway guns were used by the very earliest Glock USA employees and contractors to introduce the then new and relatively unknown Glock 17 to the US LE market (they were used in Europe for the same of course). Thus, they had an outsized influence in making Glock the most prolific handgun - by far - in US LE and the Western World for that matter.

Many serious Glock collectors want to acquire an example of each type of Gen 1. This would be a Gen 1 17 both pencil and non-pencil barrel, a Gen 1 17 L and 17 L Ported, and a Gen 1 Cutaway. The latter are very rare with just over 100 being made. Thus, they are expensive. Seeing one this early with the box is exceptionally rare. The other Gen 1 would be a Gen 1 19 which most consider the Holy Grail of Glock collecting (myself included) for many reasons which have been discussed elsewhere.

I would not be the least bit surprised if this gun breaks $5K.

Hope this makes sense even if they're not your cup of tea - which, of course, is totally cool.

15. Trench Sweeper

Okay, makes more sense. I wasn't aware of how limited they are. While still not my thing as it won't fire but it makes sense. Thank you for the explanation

glockhoarder, L.A.Tactical and Adam4 like this.
  16. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

Many collectors don't shoot their more collectible guns anyway.

While the CAs are won't shoot they are legally handguns (not that in the case of CAs this makes sense to me).

So, the fact that they don't shoot does not detract from their collectability.

Very few G1 CAs have sold in the past few years in the open market. I can't remember what they all went for but I don't think any were below $4K. I've never seen one this early with the box for sale.

Adam4 likes this.
  17. Adam4

Adam4

Well now that you've endorsed and gave a better description than the seller I'm fairly certain that I am now priced out of this one!! Thanks GH.

L.A.Tactical and glockhoarder like this.
  18. Adam4

Adam4

That said, should be fun to watch. As thread says, "break out the popcorn".

L.A.Tactical and glockhoarder like this.
  19. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

Lol. I think it's a safe bet that a lot of collectors realize what this one is. Quite the gem. If I didn't have JQ100 already I'd be ALL IN on this one.

Adam4 likes this.
  20. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

L.A.Tactical likes this.