Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Is it just me, or does that extractor look like APEX? The OEM extractor's claw has straight lines and APEX has a little nub, like in the photo.

·
Registered
940 Posts
There was a post about this same thing awhile back. Apparently some older Glock's will develop cracking or weakness over time from heavy dry firing and the breachface pops off. Apparently it's rather rare but the word is (not sure on the accuracy of this) the Gen5 firing pin tip being changed to round was in response to this.

Reactions: Glolt20-91

·
Registered
492 Posts
Yup. Dry fire damage. I have seen this on a lesser scale. Repeated strikes from the firing pin hitting the back of the breach face. In the one I witnessed it cracked about three quarters of the way around.

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
It's a brittle fracture of the breechface caused by impact hardening of the steel breechface after excessive numerous firing pin impacts from dry firing. ALL Glocks are subject to such failure. It's not that uncommon. I never buy used Glocks because one never knows if a previous owner was addicted to abusing the pistol with excessive dry firing. The damage is cumulative and is not practical to reverse before final sudden failure.

Glock does NOT say that ANY amount of dry firing is OK, regardless of who will now show up and claim the opposite...in the (breech)face of clear evidence to the contrary. :)

·
MacGyver
7,600 Posts
Work hardening of the metal will occur whether it be dry firing or shooting ammo.

Reactions: Chui

·
Registered
492 Posts
N
Work hardening of the metal will occur whether it be dry firing or shooting ammo.
not so much. Work Harding is mostly an issue with non ferrous metals. Steel forging, investment casts not an issue.

·
Super Moderator
18,753 Posts
This just happened to one of our department issued G22 Gen 4. The officer dry fires quite a lot. Luckily, this happened on the range and not in the field
No, it didn't 'just' happen. That's been developing for quite a while, and an inspection--like when you clean or otherwise check your stuff--should have caught it.

Google "Glock breech face damage" and you'll see plenty of pictures of what it looks like as this failure develops.

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
First, it's not really work hardening. There's no work or flexing of the breech material with Firing Pin impact.

Second, the impact of the Firing Pin on the primer of a live cartridge (or a very good snap cap) decelerates the Firing Pin and absorbs most of its kinetic energy. With dry firing, the full force and kinetic energy of the Firing Pin is absorbed by the steel behind the breech. So, you are dead wrong.

BTW, decent snap caps are very rare. All that are home made are worthless. Most that are sold as snap caps are almost or totally worthless. Dummy rounds are not the same thing and they are absolutely worthless.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Yep. Excessive dry fire. Glock now warns about dry firing in Armorer schools. They do not say what might happen, but they now say, don't dry fire alot.

Reactions: 72Cheyenne

·
Registered
946 Posts
4CD44FD5-B296-46CC-A724-CC0F9C0A4AE7.jpeg
Is that part crooked or is it just me on my phone? So am I not supposed to dry fire my perfection glock now ? Even if I use a snap cap? That sucks for the op. Hope you get it fixed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
R
No, it didn't 'just' happen. That's been developing for quite a while, and an inspection--like when you clean or otherwise check your stuff--should have caught it.

Google "Glock breech face damage" and you'll see plenty of pictures of what it looks like as this failure develops.

It did just happen. Today, in fact. I get what you’re saying. I also said that the officer dry fires a lot. We know the cause.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
View attachment 747828 Is that part crooked or is it just me on my phone? So am I not supposed to dry fire my perfection glock now ? Even if I use a snap cap? That sucks for the op. Hope you get it fixed.
Fortunately we have numerous Glock 22s in the armory. We immediately exchanged the damaged gun for a new one. This one is going back to Glock this week.

·
Super Moderator
18,753 Posts
I’d be very interested to hear what Glock says, with the issue being presented by an agency. Please let us know.

·
Super Moderator
3,932 Posts
Not from dry firing. I have seen a few of these now, and had one I was able to spend the $ to get it on the SEM.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts