close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

brass vs steel case and erratic ejection

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Kslice, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Kslice

Kslice

without starting ANOTHER ejection problem thread, can someone simply explain why some guns (my brand new gen3 17 for example) eject steel casings just fine but project brass cases into my face? No I am not "limp wristing" the gun. ALSO: this gun has been back to glock and was declared problem free...

Thanks
    -Kelly

2. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Any chance the rim is just ever so slightly thicker on the steel cases? The ejector gets a better grip. Also, perhaps the steel is just enough rougher that it also maintains it's position better through the slide cycle.

Just some ideas. I have horrible ejection problems with my Gen 4 19 but I haven't tried any steel cased ammo to compare. I might give that a try just to see what happens.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012

3. Kslice

Kslice

Good thought, this makes sense and I bet you are right. Maybe just the softness of the brass and the weak grip from the ejector causes this versus the hardness of the steal and possible greater thickness.

I would recommend that you try this though, the ejection difference is night and day. My 17 has never ftf or fte but with brass cases, 2/3 go into my face.

Maybe ammo manufacturers will begin making "9mm Glock," ".40 Glock" and so on, with thicker rims to counter act glock's ejection problems.

4. robhic

robhic I'm your huckleberry.... Platinum Member Silver Member

I have shot both steel-case and brass-case ammo fairly regularly thru my Gen 3 G19 and G17. I shot it thru my G26 but loading (IMO) the steel ammo in that small 10 rd. maqazine is more difficult so I don't bother. (I have a theory that the coated steel doesn't slide as easily over itself as brass does.) But as far as firing it, haven't noticed different extraction between the two.

5. nomadrider

nomadrider

Wonder if the steel case weight is a little more?

6. 92GTA

92GTA

I have no problem with stainless steel, brass, or aluminum.

7. TheExplorer

TheExplorer

Just shot mixed yesterday in a new 27 and the ejection was the same.