close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Brass to the face

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by G21MAN, Jan 6, 2012.

1. G21MAN

G21MAN

I have been seeing a lot of complaints about brass to the face on Glock Talk. I have had 4 to the face out of 285 rounds through my Gen 4 G23. I surfed online and found a video of a Les Baer 1911 sending brass to the face a lot more frequently than my Glock. Maybe we are expecting too much. I saw Hickock 45 shooting a new Glock, and he did not seem to think that the brass to his head was a problem. If a $3,000 1911 does this, then I am not going to worry about my Glock doing it much less frequently. Just my opinion. YMMV.

2. jb1911

jb1911

Problems always get bigger on the interweb. I'm not a little tulip and don't mind a piece of brass in my face now and then. In fact it kinda turns me on.

3. smitty704

smitty704

This problem has been fixed by Glock with a new model ejector they are installing in the gen 4's now. If you are having this issues, it is not normal and you should have the new ejector installed.

No other gun I have ever shot has thrown brass at my face, period. I expect my pistols to not throw brass at my face. With my previous late model gen 3 G19, I have had my shooting glasses scratched from tons of brass hitting where my eyes would normally be bare. I also had 7 stovepipes out of 1000 rounds of assorted ammo, and have never been a "limp-wrister".

Glock exchanged my previous gen 3 for a gen 4 G19 with the new ejector, and I have NO brass to the face at all, and the ejection is now like it should have been the entire time, FLAWLESS!!!!! I have 1100 rounds down the pipe of mostly Federal champ 115g FMJ, and it is a great shooter. It is now my EDC. I love my gen 4 G19!!

smitty

4. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

My Gen3 G27 had the erratic ejection problem. I installed a non-LCI extractor and spring loaded bearing and the ejection was better, but still not ideal. About 10% were still going straight over my head and occasionally one would hit me on the top of the head. I had someone else watch me shoot to ensure I wasn't getting hit with them after they bounced off the wall.

After I installed the new ejector, every single one goes to the right from 3 o'clock to 5 o'clock. My Gen3 G23 ejects the same, all to the right with near 1,300 rounds through it.

5. jb1911

jb1911

I was kidding guys.

6. mxkid6

mxkid6

When I had my Gen 4 19 I had the same problems you are talking about and it did bother me because my other glocks did not do this. Trying to fix the problem I did some research and found my RSA was already the new and upgraded along with my ejector. I checked my extractor and it didn't look bad and went in and out of the slide with no hesitation. It all came down one evening I was cleaning the gun and I just happened to look at the ejector and noticed it wasn't flush with the trigger housing it was migrated out with maybe an 1/8" or so. Im assuming it came like this from the factory and was coming in contact with the casing a tad to early. I applied some pressure and pushed it back took it shooting the next day and no more erratic ejections or casings to the top of the head. Don't know if this was the fix but the gun shot like a dream after that.

7. 3/4Flap

3/4Flap

Brass to the face is/can be a big deal regardless of the gun. No, Glocks are not the only pistols that do this but that does not minimize the problem.

Brass to the face is dangerous. In a gunfight it could be the cause of injury or at least distraction at a critical moment.

If you NEED to wear eye protection while shooting a pistol you need another load or you need another pistol.

8. Doughnutman_923

Doughnutman_923

This guy....

:rofl:

9. DRAGON1970

DRAGON1970

You may want to research and read again, the problem is predominantly with the 9mm models.

Hickock45 is not God. Just because he has not done, bought or used something means nothing. If he said he eats a cat-turd everyday would you eat one too?? :rofl:

10. troysglock

troysglock Member

Makes a man out of you. It's not like it's belt fed machine gun brass.

11. SARDG

SARDG

WHAT? Eye protection is not for an occasional case to the face. My guns don't eject brass to the face and you should check out my glasses that are full of pits from fragments and ricochets.

12. ChadN.

ChadN.

My gen4 G19 doing this only bothered me because my gen3 G19 and XD9SC didn't do it. Sent my glock in to Smyrna and I don't have this trouble anymore. If it was the only handgun I have, I probably wouldn't even have noticed it.

13. Radian

Radian

Its butthurt pure and simple. Erratic ejection is made up by internet complainers.

I ran 150 rounds thru a Les Baer Premier II and 250 through a G4 26 and an old G2 17. Guess which one dropped brass on my head..

The old G2 shot weak handed around a barricade. Net effect of the 3 casings from a 20 year old gun, nada.
    I bought this nifty tactical item to fix this problem, a ball cap. Some guys run tactical 5.11 hats, I like retro hats more.

There is stoppage and then there is butthurt.

No stoppages on the glocks, 2 FTF on the 1911 due to a weak recoil spring (due to replace, my problem not the gun).

14. Made in Austria

Made in Austria

:agree:

Glock21MAN, if a $3,000 1911 is sending frequently brass to my my face, then it's a piece of junk if you ask me and many others and is $30 - max $300 worth and not more, because the gun does not function properly.

One of our cars is 2008 Scion XB which eats too much oil, about 2 liters in 5000 miles. When you type, Scion XB excessive oil consumption into Google, you will find many people with the same problem with their Scion.
    Now, does that mean that our Scion is okay and that this extremely high oil consumption is normal because many other people experienced the same thing with their cars?

No, it's not normal. Toyota issued a TSB for Scion's, Camry's, and Lexus models that there is a problem with the piston rings and some valve shaft gaskets of engines made in from 2007-2008. Toyota will fix only engines/drive trains with a mileage under 60000 miles. Our Scion has a mileage ~73000 on it. Which means we can go and &%@$ ourselves.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  15. troysglock

troysglock Member

WTH? You need to wear it no matter what. I have had broken skin on my face from steel plate ricochet. And .223 fragments hit my face from another range. It's not just you, your gun, and your load you have to worry about. I don't always when out in the woods, but I am not as comfortable without eye protection even there.

16. 3/4Flap

3/4Flap

If the question is; "Do I wear eye protection every time I fire a round from my guns?" the answer is "No".

Unless you do all your shooting on a firing line at a range I suspect you don't either, and neither do the bulk of shooters who hunt with or shoot under other than "range" conditions.

My statement stands as is.

Sometimes I don't wear glasses.

Like here;

[​IMG]

Or here;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No, glasses are not worn on many occaisions by many people. A predictable event like a strike in the face from a gun that tosses brass into the shooters face is to be avoided by fixing the gun or getting rid of it.

17. smitty704

smitty704

Yes..... ;)

18. 9L0ck

9L0ck

:agree:
    Hey 3/4 how you been?

19. fwm

fwm

In a self defense situation, I am not going to stop and put on my eye protection. I'd rather the gun didn't hit me with brass as I am trying to save my own life.

20. jb1911

jb1911

You'll be so pumped up with adrenaline you won't even notice the brass in your eye.