BRAND NEW to GUN OWNERSHIP

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum' started by NewtoGlock17, Sep 21, 2020.

1. NewtoGlock17

NewtoGlock17

HAHA I cannot imagine that not one Democrat owns a gun, but hopefully they are not here, cuz I don't wanna talk to them! Haha They would not like my pro Trump chatter! LOL

I don't think I could ever forget the power of a gun, so I doubt I would ever be complacent. But I can certainly see how people who have shot guns all their lives could get in a comfortable routine and maybe cut corners here and there. I am still a bit freaked out about going to the range. When I was just with the instructor I was terrified because both of our guns were loaded. When I think of the whole range with everyone shooting loaded guns and next to me I might pass out! LOL It does require nerves of steel. And it is something I must conquer and I am excited to conquer, but scared @@@less at the same time.

2. SusieQ

SusieQ

I love .22 rifles for plinking and varmint control. I can shoot the little CO2 rifle all day without annoying the neighbors. The Ruger 10/22 is my favorite rifle.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

NewtoGlock17 likes this.

3. JohnnyE

JohnnyE

The defense in depth remark is my own personal observation. If you think about it, just obeying any one of those rules should be enough to prevent tragedy, but we humans are very imperfect creatures and one alone is simply not enough.

We strive to continually obey all four, but we, or someone around us, get careless or stupid from time to time and give up or lose one or more of those layers. Lose all four and OH NO.

NewtoGlock17 likes this.
  4. 30roundmusket

30roundmusket US Army Vet.

NewtoGlock17, One other thought is if you go to a range, usually and outdoor one, never leave your weapon unattended! Here in SC I have heard of people going down range to check their targets, left their weapons, and someone stole them.

NewtoGlock17 likes this.
  5. NewtoGlock17

NewtoGlock17

Wow that sure is slimline! I guess I always pictured them as really bulky. That is a nice little rifle!! Thanks for sharing the pics with me!

6. NewtoGlock17

NewtoGlock17

I like your rule! If you are overly cautious, nothing is lost but maybe a few minutes, but if you are overly careless, it could be your life or the life of someone else lost. So the whole point of having layers is to have a safety net when one fails. Great advice. Thank you for sharing it!

7. NewtoGlock17

NewtoGlock17

I hate to think that people who share our sport/hobby would do something like that, but I am sure it happens. Very good to know and thank you. I think I will be so paranoid about it, especially when it is loade, that I don't think I will take my hands or eyes off of it. LOL Good advice, thanks!

8. JohnnyE

JohnnyE

Oh, I hope you don't think that the four rules are mine. I only strive mightily to obey them! I only noticed that these old and well-established rules provide a layered defense. I do take credit for being the first to post them in this thread. ;)

Spats McGee and NewtoGlock17 like this.
  9. NewtoGlock17

NewtoGlock17

I was referring to the depth in response as your rule.

JohnnyE likes this.
  10. pipedreams

pipedreams "Knowledge Speaks - Wisdom Listens,"

11. NewtoGlock17

NewtoGlock17

Thanks so much!!