BRAND NEW to GUN OWNERSHIP

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum' started by NewtoGlock17, Sep 21, 2020.

1. NewtoGlock17

NewtoGlock17

Looking good!! I do have to say it is a good looking pistol!

Do you know if add ons void the warranty? I was looking at the add ons but my husband was concerned they might void the warranty.

2. knoxville36

knoxville36

Woukd have no affect on warranty. It comes off so easily, even if it did you could take it off in a matter of seconds before sending to Glock.

NewtoGlock17 likes this.

3. 30roundmusket

30roundmusket US Army Vet.

If I have a question that I cant find the answer for or if there might be a gray area I just call a local sheriffs office. I make sure I speak with a sworn officer and I write down their name. They have never not been glad to answer my question.

NewtoGlock17 likes this.
  4. porschedog

porschedog

Welcome OP! Lurk here on GT and you’ll learn and laugh a lot. Join the NRA!

NewtoGlock17 likes this.
  5. porschedog

porschedog

If add ons voided a Glock warranty, we would all be out of luck.

NewtoGlock17 likes this.
  6. rayzer007

rayzer007

Welcome to you and your husband. We're happy to have you join our club! We give free advice on everything - guns, ammunition, marriage ... whatever!:director:

NewtoGlock17 likes this.
  7. Scott1970

Scott1970

Advice?

Join the NRA. And all guns are always loaded. I've seen a number of folks at work shot from unloaded guns.

NewtoGlock17 likes this.
  8. NewtoGlock17

NewtoGlock17

Oh gottcha. That makes sense. Thanks for answering my question!

9. NewtoGlock17

NewtoGlock17

M plan was to ask one of the 3 police officers/sheriffs that I see at the gym when they show up again, as well as call my local police station. Thanks!!

Tinyman likes this.
  10. bac1023

bac1023

11. slamdunc

slamdunc JAFO

Welcome to GT from southern Illinois.

NewtoGlock17 likes this.
  12. NewtoGlock17

NewtoGlock17

It does seem prudent to consider all guns loaded, even if they aren't Will do!! Thanks!!

Scott1970 likes this.
  13. NewtoGlock17

NewtoGlock17

Thank you!! Haha ok sounds good! I am learning so much already. Everyone is great!

14. NewtoGlock17

NewtoGlock17

That's good to know! Thanks. Glad my husband was wrong about that. He probably just told me that to kill any idea of me spending more money. LOL

15. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

Welcome from Indiana!

NewtoGlock17 likes this.
  16. JohnnyE

JohnnyE

Every noob should see this right away, learn this, commit this to memory, and (even seasoned veterans) live this without exception...

The 4 safety rules
    • All guns are always loaded.
    • Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    • Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target.
    • Identify your target, and what is behind it.
    This is classic "defense in depth." We build in layers of defense to separate us from tragedy. We don't knowingly give up any one of these layers because Murphy's law may unknowingly steal one of more of the others away, and tragedy may result.

NewtoGlock17 likes this.
  17. Tinyman

Tinyman

In one of your earlier posts you mentioned Democrats here. Well, I'm here to tell you that if there are, they'd be banned if they admitted it :laughing:. As far as being "sacred" or "afraid", you'll get over it, but NEVER be complacent -- always have respect because every gun is loaded. My G19.4 and my wife's G42 are (as of today) our only Glocks. Probably get more, but . .

NewtoGlock17 likes this.
  18. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Come on man!!

Add-ons like new sights or putting lights on the gun will not void your Glock warranty. Glock is very good about their warranty work should you need it. Google GSSF and see if a match is near you. If so, they have armorers there that will your gun right there on the spot. They can replace everything part of the gun except the barrel, slide, and grip frame right there on the spot.

On a couple of other points that have been brought up...

Shoot your Glock some once you have some ammo to spare. Learn to see if you like shooting guns. If it's something you enjoy, great! It's a wonderful hobby and it's , but if it's not for you and you just want to stick with your two Glocks for home defense, well that's ok too.

About that .22...

I have a safe full of guns that are really fun to shoot, but the most fun I've ever had with a gun in my hands was with an old bolt action .22 rifle. .22 guns are usually lower cost and tons of fun and the ammo is dirt cheap, when you can find it. It's also a great way to introduce your non-gun owning friends to shooting because it's so soft shooting and it's not very loud.

NewtoGlock17 likes this.
  19. NewtoGlock17

NewtoGlock17

I am seeing the 4 safety rules everywhere and happy to keep reading them over and over. I have not read the defense in depth part before. Thank you for sharing that. I will keep that in mind. I don't think there is such a thing as being too careful with guns! Thanks

Bohucka and JohnnyE like this.
  20. NewtoGlock17

NewtoGlock17

That is good to know about the Glocks and the warranty. I know we purchased high quality top of the line handguns, so feel good about that purchase!

I already know I will enjoy shooting guns. Even though I was terrified of it, I still want to shoot as I can see how enjoyable it is and how fun it is to hit the target! I am planning on going to the range very soon. I booked the training classes but there is a lag time due to the high demand. In the meantime I am trying to stockpile some ammo. I was able to secure enough HJP ammo for home defense and feel comfortable that we are good there. Although not the cheapest in price, it wasn't insane highway robbery, so I am ok with it. As for range ammo, I have purchased a small amount at a semi highway robbery price lol just to have some. I think the range ammo where I am going is about 50 cents a round, so anything at that price or lower I will try to purchase to create a stock. I am a bit too good at hoarding, lol, so this might get expensive!

I think once my husband and I have done the training and put in range time we will revisit the idea of the .22. We have 2 high school age kids and we are hoping this can be something we can all enjoy. But we will get started first, then once we have mastered all the safety rules and got some experience under our belts, we will then introduce our kids to the sport. Then we can start thinking about inviting friends. Here's hoping ammo prices start coming down so that I can put some in my own Christmas stocking! Haha Thanks for all of the great advice!