BRAND NEW to GUN OWNERSHIP

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum' started by NewtoGlock17, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Kentucky fan

Kentucky fan

Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders. Shoot as much as you can afford and you'll be fine. You may want to invest in a .22 pistol to keep skills up until this storm passes. Hopefully in a years time it will be back to normal and 9mm will be .20 cents a round again.

NewtoGlock17 and Spats McGee like this.
  2. rotorhead1026

rotorhead1026

“You’ll put your eye out, kid!”

I just skimmed this thread. There’s some good advice.

Hold off on the holster until you get really familiar with the weapon. We’ve all accumulated several over the years. No need for you to start early. You’ll have a better idea of your needs with time.

Otherwise, welcome.

NewtoGlock17 likes this.

3. Intolerant

Intolerant

And i cant express it enough, YOU SHOULD TRY TO BRING MORE SHOOTERS INTO THE SPORT!
    We need to get ALOT more people involved and save our sport! Even if you have to buy a 22 rifle to show them that guns are actually more fun than they think, most will no longer fear firearms.

NewtoGlock17 likes this.
  4. Bohucka

Bohucka

Sorry you bought a gun while ammo is in such short supply. A lot of websites are gouging right now, so unless money is no object, you should attempt to buy 9mm target ammo for 10-15 bucks for a box of 50. Right now, that is hard to do, but these shortages are cyclical, and when ammo prices fall again (and you can find some), I suggest getting as much as the budget allows.

And...welcome to GT!

Joe H and NewtoGlock17 like this.
  5. NewtoGlock17

NewtoGlock17

Well I am not a spring chicken either! LOL But I grew up in a quiet suburban neighborhood where having a gun was pretty unheard of. I guess I thought I would only need one gun, but as I am learning, there are different guns for different purposes, as well as different ammo. I didn't realize just how many gun and ammo choices exist! I can certainly see the logic of using the rifle you mention for the reasons you mention. I think I did well on the range, but that's not to say I would consistently do well the next time. Who knows? I certainly felt like I was jumping in anticipation from the loud boom. LOL As for the stash, my goal is to at least have about 200 JHP that I don't use, they will be only for home defense. Hopefully I will never need to even use one. I was only looking at buying JHP right now as I just assumed that FMJ would be available to purchase at the range when I went. But perhaps I need to stock up on those too? I can surely see how it would be easy to blow through a few hundred at a time at a range! I hope the price goes down soon! LOL Thanks for all of the great tips!

SusieQ and PhotoFeller like this.
  6. NewtoGlock17

NewtoGlock17

Thanks! I sure feel like a clueless newbie. The salesmen were kind of in disbelief that I just walked in with no gun experience and picked the Glock 17. Not sure why they were surprised. I told them I did research and wanted to invest in one of the best guns. Are you suggesting a .22 pistol for all the other reasons, or is the ammo for it more readily available and cheaper and that's why? It sure seems like an expensive sport when some ammo is $1.00+ plus for 1 round!! I called one range and he had Barnes 9mm 115 gr HJP 20 rounds for $38.00!! And he had a lot of boxes. That is a CRAZY price. I said no thanks lol.

7. NewtoGlock17

NewtoGlock17

Haha! Hopefully I won't put my eye out or anyone else's! LOL

I am not sure if I will be conceal carrying. I can't think that far ahead. I plan on taking the basic class, and also taking the conceal class and getting the conceal permit, just to have it. But I will spend a lot of time on the range until I am confident I know all there is to know about safety and till I have a degree of calmness with the responsibility of owning and shooting a gun. Once I get to that point, I will decide what to do next. So no worry about me buying 10 holsters before my next trip to the range. LOL But good advice, thank you!!

PhotoFeller likes this.
  8. sourdough44

sourdough44

Welcome. At least check out some books on the subject of personal defense.

Don’t forget Nov 3rd.

9AD7DF7B-F0C4-49E9-8D3B-D581EB3EE9B9.jpeg

NewtoGlock17 likes this.
  9. NewtoGlock17

NewtoGlock17

I will certainly be discussing gun ownership with those around me. And I can see how fun they are at the range. Yes, many people fear them, like I did, but we can still benefit from owning and using one. And saving the sport and the freedom to be able to protect ourselves.

Intolerant likes this.
  10. NewtoGlock17

NewtoGlock17

Yes for sure! Good idea. Maybe I will buy a red snazzy robe too. Haha Love that! Thanks!!

Intolerant likes this.
  11. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller A swamp dude

Your willingness to proceed slowly and carefully is very admirable. I hope other new gun owners who come here will follow your path with the understanding that responsibility and accountability must always guide citizens who choose to own firearms. Thanks.

NewtoGlock17 likes this.
  12. NewtoGlock17

NewtoGlock17

I know! I did know going in though that I was very lucky to be able to buy 2 Glocks (17 & 19) for my me and my husband and that buying the ammo was really going to be hard. My husband had been trying to find guns online and they were always out of stock. I called the gun shop and they had just got the guns in, so my timing was good. I think I will be also buying some target ammo like you said and then I will have to wait until prices fall then I will stock up.

Any particular brand you would recommend for the range? I guess any brand that's available lol

Intolerant likes this.
  13. Intolerant

Intolerant

Better post pics in the robe, or i didn`t happen ;)

NewtoGlock17 likes this.
  14. Intolerant

Intolerant

My personal preference is to buy only USA made ammo.

15. Spats McGee

Spats McGee

@NewtoGlock17 -- .22 ammo is usually a fraction of the price of 9mm. The last time I bought at 'sensible' prices, I bought Federal .22LR ammo for about a nickel a round, and my 9mm purchase was Fiocchi at about $0.22 per round.

NewtoGlock17 likes this.
  16. Kentucky fan

Kentucky fan

. 22 runs about $7 for 100 rounds and thats for the good stuff. And the Jhp ammo is self defense ammunition it stands for jacketed hollow point. Of you want to use your handgun for social occasions you'll need some. It usually runs $1 a round or so. Range ammo is whats called fmj that stands for full metal jacket. It is non expanding and significantly cheaper right now half the price but during non insane times it is 1/5 the price. You need a hollow point for self defense as it expands upon hitting tissue causing more damage and making the odds of you hitting something important better it also keeps over penetration low.

NewtoGlock17 likes this.
  17. NewtoGlock17

NewtoGlock17

Thank you! I appreciate you saying that. I know that I know nothing right now and I don't want to proceed until I have a good handle on what I am doing before I even consider carrying it on me. I just wish I had decided to do this when ammo was cheap! haha Oh well, better late than never I guess.

PhotoFeller likes this.
  18. NewtoGlock17

NewtoGlock17

I am just starting to learn about the types of ammo and the differences in JHP and FMJ. I like the price of the .22 ammo! lol I guess I will just keep checking websites to see what is in stock that is not an insane price. I am ok with paying more than normal, as I know it is in short supply and in high demand, but I refuse to pay prices that are crazy like $2 a round! Thank you for the info.

19. NewtoGlock17

NewtoGlock17

LMAO Ok

Intolerant likes this.
  20. NewtoGlock17

NewtoGlock17

Ok thank you. Right now I am not as selective as I will be once ammo is in better supply. It looks like there are some good US brands, though. Thanks

Intolerant likes this.