BRAND NEW to GUN OWNERSHIP

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum' started by NewtoGlock17, Sep 21, 2020.

1. alank2

alank2

Always know that your gun CAN and WILL fire without the magazine in it. Many people think if you remove the magazine that a gun is safe. IT IS NOT.

Learn and follow the 4 safety rules. If you violate one of them (though you do not want to), chances are things will be okay. If you violate more than one of them, someone will get hurt.

NewtoGlock17 likes this.
  2. Intolerant

Intolerant

Welcome NEW gun owners! Be sure to support your local clubs, become members, join a second amendment foundation that protects YOUR gun rights. And make sure you only VOTE for who supports your gun rights!

Everybody has listed plenty of good information for you in here, all i can add, is ALWAYS REMEMBER, once that bullet leaves the barrel, you can`t put it back. Just be safe, and enjoy whats left of our freedoms to own firearms. Owning firearms is ALOT of fun. They aren`t just made for self defense. Now go have some fun and enjoy. Glad you joined us all here!

NewtoGlock17 likes this.

3. SusieQ

SusieQ

I admire your attitude. The club here arranges some great training with experts and the supportive, welcoming atmosphere is nice. I think as more women shoot, we're in less of a fishbowl. I'm also always on the lookout for other sources of training. I like to get different perspectives.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

NewtoGlock17 and Spats McGee like this.
  4. flyover

flyover

If you don't have to do any state paperwork to do a switch, you are allowed to exchange the guns to each other as a gift. The 4473 even gives an example of such a situation.

NewtoGlock17 likes this.
  5. Vic Rattlehead

Vic Rattlehead

Congratulations and welcome to the club! Enjoy your training and range time(s)- it's a lifelong investment! Fully relish your 2A rights in good health!

NewtoGlock17 likes this.
  6. NewtoGlock17

NewtoGlock17

Thank you! Yes I am scared of it even when it is not loaded. LOL I will be asking lots of questions don't worry!

knoxrocks222 likes this.
  7. NewtoGlock17

NewtoGlock17

I am in Michigan.

8. NewtoGlock17

NewtoGlock17

No worries there! I am a huge Trump fan. LOL I wasn't going to discuss politics, but it does relate to gun ownership. Are there any democrats on here? Guess there could be, but even they must be pretty disgusted with what the democratic party has evolved into. I must say I enjoyed going into the gun shop and seeing the Trump signs and the Trump hats there! LOL

9. NewtoGlock17

NewtoGlock17

Yes I plan to do all of the above! I will be voting for Trump for sure! Safety and our rights are two very important things! Thanks for having me! I am already feeling at home here. Trump 2020

El Pistolero and Intolerant like this.
  10. NewtoGlock17

NewtoGlock17

Thank you! I plan on learning as much as I can. I love a new challenge/learning experience and since I know absolutely nothing, there's no where to go but up. lol Looking forward to meeting some women who shoot as well as getting my practice time in and feeling like I have developed a basic level of mastery.

SusieQ likes this.
  11. NewtoGlock17

NewtoGlock17

Hello there, I feel the pain of having 2 new guns and no ammo! LOL But hopefully I can remedy that soon. I have seen several people say that you should own a pistol and a rifle. I am not sure I understand why. It is for the reasons you list only? Or is there another reason that I am missing? I can see what you mean with a long gun and keeping track of the muzzle. Makes perfect sense. But I am not sure I know why more guns are needed.?? I am a total newbie so I am not questioning your opinion with any disrespect or any real base of knowledge, I am truly trying to understand the logic of what a rifle could do that a pistol could not in a self defense situation. I did surprisingly well on the range for my first time so I don't anticipate a problem with accuracy in firing. I think the reason I did so well was because I was truly terrified of firing it, so I took some real time to aim as I was steeling up my nerves to shoot. LOL I can see what you mean about the fundamentals being a little bit complicated with the glocks whereas if the rifle was less complicated, it would make the learning curve easier. I also saw that people suggest both a pistol and a rifle and 1,000 rounds of ammo. That seems like a crazy amount but I guess it depends on how many people are coming for you. Thanks for your advice.

12. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

Glad to hear it, but just FYI if the amount of political content here is too much or too extreme for ya right now, for what it's worth it tones down a little when there isn't an impending election. People are on edge at the moment and with good reason. Not saying we don't always have some political discourse going on, cuz we do, but GT is a churning bowl of it right now.

Spats McGee and NewtoGlock17 like this.
  13. Fatboy2001

Fatboy2001

Welcome to G-T from AZ.
    The 17 and 19 are both GREAT pistols. You chose wisely.
    :flag:

NewtoGlock17 likes this.
  14. 30roundmusket

30roundmusket US Army Vet.

There is lots of good advice here about practice and more practice. The more you shoot the more comfortable and effective you will become. It’s just as important to know the law. A simple mistake with a firearm ends up being a felony. A good website for information about laws and carrying is
    handgunlaw.us
    Enjoy your new freedom.

SusieQ, Spats McGee and NewtoGlock17 like this.
  15. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

You don't need a rifle. And what I recommended ... a .22lr ... is a squirrel hunting gun, not something you'd normally use for home defense (though some have). I recommended you consider it for the reasons I stated ... it's easier to learn safe practices and accurate shooting with a long gun, simple as that. It isn't necessary, just something to think about. If you were happy with how you shot the Glock, that's great. If you start becoming less accurate as you shoot it more, it will most likely be because you're developing a flinch. This is a compensating motion a shooter builds into their trigger pull, to anticipate against the recoil. It's very common, almost universal. Some people never do though, so if you keep chugging along with your Glock able to keep all shots on a paper plate at 10y or so, don't mind me.

If you stick around you'll figure out a lot of us here at GT are not spring chickens. Many of us grew up in the 50's - 70's when it was normal to start shooting & hunting at 7-10 years old, and with some exceptions most of us I would guess started with a .22 rifle, or a low powered shotgun. So we're talking 'old school wisdom' here. It isn't necessarily what's best for you, but it is offered with good intentions. :thumbsup:

As for the "1000 rounds of ammo" no you don't need that kind of stash, but it's not unusual for me to go through 150 rounds (or more) of .22lr, 75-100 rds of 9mm, 100 rds of 7.62x39, and 50-75 rds of 45acp on a range trip. Not every time, but like I said not unusual. And it was a lot more when I used to bring my son and some of his friends along. And compared to some guys here, I'm a lightweight when it comes to ammo consumption. It disappears quicker than you'd ever expect, and when these "ammo panics" come along, it's nice to have some reserve. So 500 or 1000rds is not really that much to have on-hand.

But ammo prices are VERY inflated right now, so no need to bulk buy right now or worry too much about it. You need some full-metal jacket (FMJ) 9mm for practice, and you need some jacketed hollow points (JHP) for defensive purposes. You don't need as much JHP, but whatever you get you should test some through your pistols, but make sure you don't shoot it all. It's there for when you really actually need your gun. I hope neither of us ever do.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    NewtoGlock17 and Spats McGee like this.
  16. NewtoGlock17

NewtoGlock17

Hi Dale, Thank you for the warm welcome! I do feel like I have crossed over into another world, or joined an exclusive club or something. Something feels different. Maybe it's the threat to our freedom that all of this political unrest and violent protesting is causing as the world has gotten more scary. It truly is a battle for freedom, democracy (of the non democrat type lol) and it is good vs evil.

I appreciate the offer for help. Everyone here is amazing and I truly appreciate the advice and support. I am glad I can get to know like minded people. We must stick together, for sure! Thanks again! I look forward to getting to know you.

17. NewtoGlock17

NewtoGlock17

Thank you! I was just mentally adding getting to know handgun laws to my list of research. I will check it out!

Spats McGee likes this.
  18. NewtoGlock17

NewtoGlock17

Hi there, I completely understand the gravity and it scares the crap out of me! LOL I know once I handle it more and learn the ins and outs, I will feel more confident. Unfortunately since there is an ammo shortage and it is hard to find ANY guns in stock around here, we weren't able to be picky. We came across 2 glocks that were available, a 17 and a 19 for my husband and I. We decided since he is bigger and has a much bigger hand that he would have the 17 and I would take the 19. I explained in another response in this thread that in my haste to buy the guns before someone else got them, I headed out to the gun shop immediately. My husband could not go until later and I just assumed that the 17 was the smaller gun. I know NOTHING at all. lol The guy only brought out the 17 and started processing my paperwork before I even held the gun. But then after the sale I was transferred to a very experience ex-military guy who spent a long time educating me and he took me on the range to fire it. So I can't say I didn't get good info there. Anyway, later when my husband came to get what he thought was the bigger gun, I was already at home with it. LOL But the good thing is we are both now gun owners and we got the only two glocks that were available in my area. As for ammo, I am trying to find some. I have about 140 rounds of a few different types of ammo coming in the mail, but I am not sure if it is the best I can buy, but it was the only ammo available. But once I can obtain some more, shooting many rounds is the plan. I was planning on purchasing at least 1,000 rounds, but I can't find it in stock anywhere. Thanks for the advice.

19. NewtoGlock17

NewtoGlock17

It is a welcome change from social media where I have to deal with unhinged liberal democrats, and that is no fun! LOL But I get what you are saying, that it is usually more guns and less politics, but right now our gun ownership is being threatened so people are rightly upset. As long as people support Trump, it's not too much for me! Hahaha Seriously, though, as long as people are kind and respectful, I can agree to disagree. But I know people get heated when there's talk of politics. I generally avoid talking about politics, but it for sure relates to gun ownership right now.

20. Spats McGee

Spats McGee

Might I recommend The Cornered Cat? Kathy Jackson is a professional firearms trainer and The Cornered Cat is another awfully good place for new shooters, particularly new female shooters, to get good information.
    Around here, I'm a lightweight on ammo consumption, but I can promise you that 1000 rounds goes faster than you think it will. It's more about how much you practice than it is about "how many people are coming for you." Your G17 holds 17 rounds per mag and probably came with 2 mags. If all you shoot is 2 mags per range session, that's about 30 range sessions. (Although I do hope SOMEONE will correct me if my math is off, please.) There are 26 weeks in a year. If you bump up to even 5 mags per session, it drops to about 12 range visits. That said, prices are exceptionally high right now. You don't have to buy in bulk immediately, but if you see a big drop in ammo prices, "buy it cheap and stack it deep." It's not like it has a "Best if used by" date.
    IMHO, that's one of the funny things about the gun community. For all of the bad press that we get, we can be some of the friendliest people you will ever meet.

And for whatever shortages are out there, and they are legion right now, you and your husband got very lucky. You found a pair of Glocks. With even minimal care, you can expect them to last for the rest of your lives.

SusieQ likes this.