BRAND NEW to GUN OWNERSHIP

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum' started by NewtoGlock17, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Truth&Balance

Truth&Balance

2. toofman

toofman

Good info here. I agree with a good holster. I would go a step further and recommend getting a good belt.

NewtoGlock17 likes this.

3. rangerhgm

rangerhgm NRA Member

Welcome to GT, and congrats on the new Glock 17. You made a great choice.....enjoy it and be safe.

I can't add any advice that's hasn't been already been covered/suggested.

@NewtoGlock17.....what gun did your husband buy?

Oh, and don't be afraid to ask questions.....at some point we all started with our first gun.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    NewtoGlock17 and SusieQ like this.
  4. knoxrocks222

knoxrocks222

What’s up from west Tennessee!! Definitely get signed up for some classes l, and always remember treat it as if was loaded,even with the slide locked back and the magazine out... complacency is never a good thing when it comes to firearms. Congratulations on your purchase!! We’re all here to help, and no question is dumb, especially when it comes to new gun owners.

NewtoGlock17 and SusieQ like this.
  5. Kentucky fan

Kentucky fan

Hello from East ky good on you for wanting to get Training and understanding the gravity of the decision you have made. I always recommend women not listen to the gun shops and get a full size handgun so you are already good in my book. Hopefully you have the coin to invest in a thousand rounds for each pistol to get them broken in and ready to go. That sounds like alot but I promise that pistol will fire it without a second thought. Run that many through each don't get frustrated handguns are hard to train with until you get used to it. You will suck at first but you will get better as time goes on. Also find a good YouTube to watch and learn from.

NewtoGlock17 likes this.
  6. NewtoGlock17

NewtoGlock17

Hi there,

Thanks for the great advice! I am very excited to learn more about the mechanics of the gun, and of course, be able to shoot it again! I am planning on taking the basic course and then I will probably take the concealed weapon class to get the permit. I do think I had a good experience at the gun shop. The gentleman working with me took me to an office and showed me all the features and explained how the gun worked and showed me how to load it beforehand. He explained what you were talking about with the pulling motion. Then he took me to the range and guided me through the process of loading and firing. We do have a small safe which we will use for now. As for the holster, I think your advice makes the most sense, if I decide to carry. I just don't see myself carrying until I have a few classes and lots of range time under my belt. As for a mentor, I do not know any other gun owners except 3 police officers who attend the same gym. When I see them next, I will be asking questions and getting information from them. Thank you again!

Will Beararms and Spats McGee like this.
  7. NewtoGlock17

NewtoGlock17

Hi there,

We have both a Glock 17 and 19. Not sure yet if I plan on carrying. Once I feel a level of comfort with the guns, then I will decide. But I hear what you are saying. I keep seeing people talk about how the 17 is a bit on the big side to carry. The 19 would be better for that. I do plan on shooting regularly to keep skills up, once I actually acquire some shooting skills! LOL Thanks for the advice!

rotorhead1026 likes this.
  8. NewtoGlock17

NewtoGlock17

HAHAHA Pretty lame, huh? It was late and I wasn't too creative. But I got a good laugh out of your comment. Thanks!!

Speleothem likes this.
  9. NewtoGlock17

NewtoGlock17

Hi there, Thank you for the great advice. I will certainly do so! That sounds exactly like what I need to do. And yes, we decided the world is getting too crazy for us to not be armed. I never thought it was necessary to own a gun before 2020, because we were always so removed from any type of gun violence, living in a safe suburban home, however, anything can happen to anyone at anytime and it is naive to think otherwise. All of this political unrest is scary!

Speleothem likes this.
  10. NewtoGlock17

NewtoGlock17

Hi, Thank you for the great suggestion. That sounds like a great place to start. Not sure if they have a shooting league in my area, but I will surely check it out. I would like to learn as much as I can and be as responsible as I can be with my gun. Our local gun club as competent guys as well, but I like the idea of meeting women in my same situation.

11. NewtoGlock17

NewtoGlock17

Oh yes! This is so true! I kept telling the gentleman that was showing me how to shoot that the power scared the hell out of me. He said it's not scary, it's exciting. LOL He also said the gun doesn't control you, you control the gun. It's not going to shoot unless you pull the trigger, you control that. He kept stressing that when you pick the gun up you always keep your finger straight and not near the trigger. That advice really stuck with me as the most important take away. Safety is the most important factor in gun ownership! Thanks for you advice.

PhotoFeller and SusieQ like this.
  12. NewtoGlock17

NewtoGlock17

Funny you should ask! The plan was for me to have the compact gun (19) and him to have the bigger (17). But since I was so worried that they would sell the guns before I could get to the shop, I forgot to clarify which was which and made the error of assuming a 19 is bigger than a 17. Natural assumption, right? So I got to the shop first and said I will take the 17. My husband was not able to go to the shop till later in the day and they agreed to hold the 19 for him. Imagine his surprise when he got there and was left with the 19! :D It was an honest mistake on my part but he thinks I was just greedy and trying to grab the bigger gun for myself. So now we are looking into the logistics of switching. Stay tuned. LOL And thanks for the invitation to ask questions. I will for sure be doing that!

rangerhgm and SusieQ like this.
  13. IAhunter

IAhunter Venor ergo sum

Just north of the wall, Cochise County, Arizona
    Welcome to the forum and to the lifestyle.

I don’t know what state you are in, but in most states you and your husband can just switch.

NewtoGlock17 and flyover like this.
  14. Biggy1

Biggy1

***MAKE SURE*** you vote Trump and Republican in November. If the ***extreme*** Democrat Party gets control and has their way, they want to ban ****ALL*** firearms, no online sales of ammo, huge tax on ammo, no more hi-cap mags, gun registration which **will lead** to gun confiscation, and you become an instant felon looking at jail time and huge fines if you don't comply. It could not be more clear about who to vote for as President on Nov. 3rd.

VOTE Trump and Republican on November 3rd, as the **good** future of our great Country is at stake .

NewtoGlock17 likes this.
  15. Spats McGee

Spats McGee

That will depend on your location. In some states, it might require an FFL. In others, all you have to do is trade right there at home.

NewtoGlock17 likes this.
  16. NewtoGlock17

NewtoGlock17

Hi there, Great advice! I think I will always be a little scared and in awe. The sonic boom and the power of the recoil in my hands will be something I will never ever forget. It is easy to get desensitized to TV with people shooting each other, but it is a very different thing to have the gun in your power and your hands and to feel that power and hear that boom! I will keep those 4 important rules in mind every time I handle my gun. Thanks

rangerhgm and SusieQ like this.
  17. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

Hello and welcome!

Great advice above so I won't belabor it all. Read @Borg Warner again. And again.

It's kind of a tough time right now due to the covid19 and election causing an ammo panic. Them bullets are a bit hard to come by. But in addition to your new handgun acquisitions, I would suggest you consider buying a basic .22lr rifle as well. A Ruger American Rimfire would be perfect. Low cost, good quality. And if you do, put more effort into getting accurate with the rifle at first. A long gun is easier to learn fundamentals with, and safety comes a little easier too. A .22lr is easier to shoot accurately for beginners, because less recoil. (You won't be as frustrated. A 9mm handgun is not the most difficult firearm to shoot well, but it isn't the easiest place to start either.) And, it's much easier to be always mindful of where the muzzle end is pointing with a long gun.

NewtoGlock17, SusieQ and Spats McGee like this.
  18. Kentucky fan

Kentucky fan

I wouldn't worry about it. Just switch them lol. As long as you guys have the same address there should be no issue

NewtoGlock17 likes this.
  19. NewtoGlock17

NewtoGlock17

I have to say I was terrified to go to the gun range. While I wasn't second guessing my decision to purchase the gun, I was realizing the weight of the responsibility of owning one. It not only has to do with my own safety, but the safety of others around me. But after getting a lot of good safety information and learning how the gun works and experiencing shooting it several times, while the fear is still there, I did enjoy seeing how close I could get to the bullseye! I also purchased some oil cleaning conditioning stuff and plan to take my gun apart and clean it. Thanks for the great advice!

SusieQ and Spats McGee like this.