BRAND NEW to GUN OWNERSHIP

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum' started by NewtoGlock17, Sep 21, 2020.

1. NewtoGlock17

NewtoGlock17

Hi there,

I am a newbie in every sense of the word. Last week my husband and I bought our first guns. I called a local gun shop and they had 2 new Glocks to sell us. I am the proud owner of a Glock 17 gen 5. I have never fired a gun, or even seen a gun before this. The shop was kind enough to take me to the range and I got to fire my new Glock several times. I am in awe and a bit scared of the power and the responsibility of being a new gun owner. We are going to sign up for classes and spend time on the range. Just wanted to say hi and ask if there was any good advice for first time gun owners. Thanks!

2. flyover

flyover

Howdy from western Kansas.

Taking classes is a very good first step.

3. jmohme

jmohme

Welcome aboard.
    You made a good choice in getting some training. There is a lot to learn!

rayzer007, n2g, Bus007 and 6 others like this.
  4. Will Beararms

Will Beararms Millennium Member

Welcome. Fear of firearms is healthy but don’t be timid with them. Assertive control is necessary to properly operate a handgun. You are a lady, you have been given the natural ability to push whereas men are innate pullers. Use this push tendency to your advantage when manipulating the slide of your Gen. 5 17 to chamber a round. I have taught my wife to bring the handgun in close and parallel to her tummy while pushing in one direction with the top of the slide and pushing in the other direction with her hand on the pistol grip albeit making sure no one or no animal is in the line of fire.

You chose well. A full size pistol is an excellent choice on many levels. For starters, the larger pistols have more mass and abate recoil better than the smaller sub-compact models. Aside from this, we live in perilous times and you do need high capacity magazines or as we in the 2A community call them, standard capacity magazines with the mindset being states and municipalities that restrict magazine capacity are an anathema to our God-given right to self-defense as enumerated in our constitution.

As far has advice, here goes:

1. Get some sort of safe be it a full blown gun safe or a small $50.00 punch button pistol vault.

2. Buy a rigid leather or Kydex holster that will cover and protect the trigger. Don’t worry about scuffing the finish of the Glock 17. For starters, it imparts character to the pistol and Glock slides are treated on a molecular level to withstand rust

3. Find a mentor——someone who has been there and done that ——- i.e. Law Enforcement or Military ——- who can impart real world wisdom on tactics, training and most importantly, safety.

Again welcome. Look up some YouTube videos on the care and feeding of the Glock 17 from the likes of Hickok45, Military Arms Channel, etc. but again, find a mentor. It’s critical that you do so.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    Wojo88, NewtoGlock17, -JCN- and 5 others like this.
  5. pAZ Ron

pAZ Ron

Welcome! You are right to respect the power of the gun and the deadly weapon.

My wife shoots a Glock 17 as her home defense gun also. She shoots it better and finds the slide easier to work on a full size than her Glock 26 subcompact but she can use both effectively.

But, if you want something to carry concealed at some point, a smaller, lighter weapon would be something to consider as a next step ... once you get the training you described and become proficient with your full size first gun.

Hopefully shooting will become an enjoyable hobby. The new skills you learn are perishable and practicing periodically will reinforce/build the skills.

NewtoGlock17, SusieQ and El Pistolero like this.
  6. El Pistolero

El Pistolero bene vivere Silver Member

7,850 ft up in the New Mexico Rocky Mountains
    Welcome to aboard! Congratulations on buying on of Glock’s finest pistols. I look forward your comments about your new handgun. You will enjoy the support and guidance from everyone here. :waving:

7. B C

B C

Congrats! Glad to hear your going to be taking classes.

NewtoGlock17 likes this.
  8. Bradley T

Bradley T

Hello, from eastern Kansas. That G17 is a heck of a gun. Yes, taking a class is a good idea. Going to a local gun club and getting an orientation to IDPA or some such kind of competition helps also, and doesn't really cost anything.

NewtoGlock17 and SusieQ like this.
  9. Locojmc

Locojmc Native Texan

Welcome to GT :cheers:

NewtoGlock17 likes this.
  10. Speleothem

Speleothem

Congratulations and welcome, but you shouldda done better choosing a user name.
    You won't always be NewtoGlock17. :D

NewtoGlock17 likes this.
  11. pgg00

pgg00

12. glocklight

glocklight

Welcome to Glocktalk. I'll assume you may be one of the new to guns crowd that has purchased one for self protection and possibly concealed carry as so many people are now realizing law enforcement is only minutes away when seconds may make the difference between life and serious injury or worse. I would suggest (if I'm allowed) to look into signing up with the USCCA - United States Concealed Carry Association even if you don't yet have a concealed carry permit. They have a huge amount of training scenarios on video, self defense knowledge, lots of great information and a high level of legal protection if you ever are forced to defend yourself or family. Just Google "USCCA" and you'll find their site.

13. SusieQ

SusieQ

Good for you! You're off to a great start with training and practice. Get to know everything about your gun. If there's a local chapter of A Girl & A Gun Women's Shooting League in your area, you may want to check it out - it's super for beginners, has people of all skill levels, provides training in a very supportive environment and these ladies are very safety conscious.
    https://www.agirlandagun.org/about-us/
    Beside the support and perspective they provide, I also think it's important to take classes available locally from competent guys. I've gotten instruction here from a guy associated with CCW USA and other local providers.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

NewtoGlock17 and -JCN- like this.
  14. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller A swamp dude

As a new gun owner, safety must be your highest priority. Gun ownership is a daunting responsibility for all of us, but citizens who are new to firearms must undertake a learning curve of great importance. Find a good professional instructor and practice safe handling. Good shooting.

15. flyby1971

flyby1971

Hello and Welcome. Get the training you mentioned and constantly practice safety with your gun.

16. Big1

Big1

Welcome to GT!

NewtoGlock17 likes this.
  17. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

Welcome to the world of responsible gun ownership. It's good to always be a little scared of the power and the responsibility. It's when people stop being scared that they get careless and someone gets hurt or killed.

Learn the 4 basic rules.
    • All guns are always loaded. (Never assume any gun is safe)
    • Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy. (always be aware of where you are pointing your gun)
    • (Always) Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    • Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

18. Spats McGee

Spats McGee

Welcome aboard! As others have noted, respect for your firearm is a good thing. Guns don't go off by themselves, but disasters can and do happen if they are handled carelessly.

Learn the 4 rules and practice them. When someone gets shot accidentally or negligently, at least one of the 4 rules has been broken.

Become familiar with your gun. Somewhere on this site, there's an excellent animation (linked from YouTube) of how a Glock works. Watch it a few times. After a few range trips, clean your gun. Some folks will tell you to clean it after every range trip. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't generally do so. (Obviously, be absolutely sure it's unloaded before you pull that trigger for disassembly.) You'll develop some confidence as you learn more about your gun.

19. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Liberals 'R Bad!!!!

Hi, my name is Dale, and I'm a gun owner too...

First, thank you for buying your first gun, sincerely. Most people, including most gun owners, don't actually realize the significance of what they've done when they buy their first firearm. I know I didn't, but as I've grown older and listened to people much smarter than I am, I learned about the significance of what being a gun owner actually means.

You just took the very first step in becoming free. You no longer have to depend on another person for your own safety and whether you realize it yet or not, you just became another check in the system of checks and balances our government depends on to keep tyranny at bay. You may think that's hyperbolic, but I promise, it's not.

Also understand that from this very moment onward, when a politician talks about gun control, they're not talking about the other guy anymore, they're talking about you. Yes, you. You and your gun have hurt no one, yet there are many politicians that loathe what you've just done and they wish to disarm you. Remember that when you step into the voting booth. The 2nd Amendment now applies to you, so please vote as if it does.

Again, thank you for buying your first gun. If you ever have any questions please do not hesitate to send me a message. I would love to answer them and help you out.

20. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

Welcome to GT! You're on the right path, continue and change your fear to confidence and stay safe doing so. When the 17 is loaded keep it holstered unless you intend to shoot.