Brand New Glock 39 Go KaBoom!!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by BonoVox, Jul 29, 2007.

1. BonoVox

BonoVox CLM

I attended a Combat Handgun class today. I just purchased the Glock 39 from the instructor who is a friend of mine. In fact it is still within the CA 10 day DROS period. But he brought it out so I could use it for the class.

I was shooting brand new just purchased yesterday WWB ammo.

33 perfect rounds and I am loveing it. Now mind you there are 12 other shooters shooting at the same time. 34th round, a distinctly lighter sounding and recoiling round. I am still getting familar with the gun and think hmmmmm to myself. Pull trigger on number 35 nothing....I rack slide and spent case ejects. I think that is weird...first time I have seen that and I have been shooting Glocks for a while now. Again there is comotion all over from the other class particpants shooting away.

I shrug it off and pull the trigger on number 35 again. KaBOOOM!!! MUCH LOUDER noise and a snap back and to the right recoil that is way different than I have ever experienced before. I knew something major just happened. I look down and the slide is locked back. Not out of the ordinary because it happened to be the last round in the mag. But I inspect the gun closer. The slide will not budge at all. It is seized up big time.

So I call over the instructor. He checks it out. We step away from the firingline. I explain what happened. Luckily I had my CCW G26 on my hip so at least I could continue the class.

He took my Glock 39 back to his table and worked on it. Managed to unsieze it and get it field stripped. Craziest thing I have ever seen. The barrel was bulged out like a snake that had just ate a big ole rat!!! Just in front of the breech.

What happened...well I guess one in a million...the 34th round from what we can figure had only primer in it. A factory loaded brand new GAP cartridge with NO gunpowder in it!!!!! The bullet from round 34 traved less than 1/2 an inch down the barrel. That is why the empty case was still in the breech. When I racked it out, it loaded a brand new cartridge and I shot the bullet from shot 35 into the back of the 34th bullet stuck in the barrel!!!!

No I do not have pictures today. As I said the gun was still within the 10 day wait period. My instructor has it. I hope to get some picture shortly though. He said in his 30 years of teaching classes almost on a daily basis. With millions of rounds down range he has never seen this with factory loaded ammunition. He is so amazed he wants to keep the barrel of the gun. So we are working something out.

What do you all think? I have the receipt from the ammo I purchased yesterday. Who should I call first? Who in this cases is responsible or will step up? This IMO is 100% ammo related and is not Glocks fault at all. If it wasn't for the fact I was in the middle of a combat class I might have caught on to what was actually happening before I shot number 35. But I just handled it like any other malfunction. Hard to do deductive thinking in a combat class.

2. jerkeejoe

jerkeejoe

I'd call Winchester first thing tomorrow morning. They'll want the lot number from the ammo.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out, but I'm sure that someone will step up to the plate.

3. Blaster

Blaster Hunc tu caveto

When you heard round #34 that sounded and felt abnormal you should have immediately stopped and checked your weapon.

You experienced what is commonly called a Squib round.

A squib round is one that has a weak powder charge. The bullet could easily get stuck in the barrel. If this happens, the report will be quiet and the recoil will feel funny. You should immediately unload the gun and inspect the barrel and firing chamber for a stuck bullet.

Live and learn. I'll bet you won't do that again!

4. BOGE

BOGE Millennium Member

This has happened to at least two other people and their results from Winchester is in the Bull Dawgs Forum here on GT. WW Box is crap IMO. There was another fella who simply had a Win. WB kaboom and blew the gun. I think Winchester's QC is in the crapper right now. Maybe they're overworked running milspec contracts. Either way, I avoid it like the plague, then again I'm a reloader. ;)

5. BOGE

BOGE Millennium Member

6. BonoVox

BonoVox CLM

Yeah I hear ya. In my class just last week we talked about common malfunctions and clearing. He had mentioned that the worst can be the undercharged round.

I think it was the combo of an unfamilar gun&caliber, 12 other guns blazing around me and the fact this was not just your everyday leisurly range shooting that kept me from putting 1+2+3 together.

Trust me the chain of events are forever in my mind.

7. mballai

mballai

What Blaster said. Squibs are usually an easy field fix. Class or not you need to make sure nothing is wrong. If a gun isn't firing properly you need to get off the firing line and verify that a gun is safe to continue to use. You could have wound up with a face full of metal.

8. USMC06

USMC06 USMC Retired

For those that have been shooting for a long time, especially handloaders, but not necessarily so, this is known as a squib load. We learn to recognize it immediately and STOP shooting. I have been an SO at many matches where people had a squib load and I needed to move fast to stop action when people did not immediately recognize a squib load. All parties need to be informed immediately. The rest of the ammo should be shipped to the ammo maker with explanation, witness details, receipts from where purchased, etc. Learn to recognize the very specific noise of a squib. I've known people who have been less fortunate than you and received significant injuries. I hope this helps.

9. BonoVox

BonoVox CLM

I am actually not too worried. My instructor wants the barrel to the point he will pay for a replacment factory barrel to get it. These are priceless teaching aides for him. All other components seem to be ok.

However I am still going to call Winchester tomorrow and give them the lot number and see what they have to say.

I feel in one way that I am experienced enough that I should have caught it. But I also feel that your average recreation shooter would not. So I do feel they are responsible.

10. BonoVox

BonoVox CLM

It helps thanks for the comments.:thumbsup: As I mentioned I am sorta kicking myself. From what you say it sounds like I am very lucky too! ;) Well lucky and unlucky. But I will take a broken gun being unlucky trade for being lucky as it concerns shrapmetal in my face!

11. BonoVox

BonoVox CLM

One thing that is crazy. It seems from observation the second bullet almost actully went through the first bullet. At least it seems the copper jacket of the first bullet is scared into the inside of the barrel.

12. Otto von Glock

Otto von Glock

The two other ammo malfunctions were WWB with a lot number of 31xn50. What was yours?

Check the Bull Dawgs Club for the their details and resolutions. Winchester has not stepped up and issued a recall of this lot.

Document everything. Also, if you can, take pictures and post them over at that forum. Winchester will want to see the gun and left over ammo. Then, they will deny responsibility.

Sorry about you gun. I guess you (and your friends) realize how lucky you are to escape injury.

13. crossfire40

crossfire40

I had a squib round in my G22 during my CCW qualifying here in Ohio. I was fortunate enough to think twice and called my instructor over to inspect the firearm and then continue when it was shown to be clear.

I am not new to guns but I was new to semi-auto hand guns at the time. I would say I was more lucky that I asked rather than experienced but this post is a good learning experience.

My instuctor shoots GLOCKs in competition so we hit it off right away. I was the only one in class with a GLOCK.

14. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster G17 carrier since 1989 Millennium Member

I am definitely NOT impressed. I have made many, many thousands of handloads since 1978, and have not made even one squib.

I guess that I have been lucky . . .

15. BonoVox

BonoVox CLM

31XL90 is the lot number. I guess people better watch out for this one too!!

I just ordered last week a case of Remmington from cheaperthandirt that I have not recieved. I can not find GAP ammo anywhere around here and then yesterday I did come across some at a local "overpriced" gun shop. I bought all 7 boxes of it. Also ra*ed me there at $24.95 a box for 50 rounds!!! But I wanted it to try out the new gun in the class so I bit the bullet and bought it.

I am going to go read the other threads in the Bulldawg section. I have a feeling I am going to feel even luckier after I read it.

16. Otto von Glock

Otto von Glock

Hey BonoVox,

The other squibs were similar to yours. When you said you "bit the bullet" to buy you ammo, you darn near did, twice!

The testamonials seem to credit Glock's strength. But after the lawyers get a hold of the claims, the consumer is bitten again. Yes, I know, the barrels should be checked after a squib load, however, it was their crappy ammo that messed up, destroying your barrel. I guess Winchester is waiting for human injury.

17. BonoVox

BonoVox CLM

Nothing but good things to say about my Glock 39. In fact I guess I should credit it with a big save of my ARSE or eyes for that matter!! I already have one bad eye as it is. So this type of "stuff" means even more to me.

As I mentioned the sequence of events is burned in my mind forever. I hope this thread will be helpfull for others to maybe diagnost a squib in the future BEFORE they pull the trigger agian!

BTW I hope to have photos for you all soon! I was not allowed to pick up the gun until next Sunday! But I have to stop by the instructors' office before then. Camera will be in hand.

BTW I did read the two threads in the BullDawg section. Crazy! I think the only reason we got the slide unlocked on my G39 was because the bulge was so close to the breech.

18. islandglocker

islandglocker

When I purchased my G19 the guy at K.B.H. showed me a barrel and asked me if i noticed something wrong with it. I saw that it had two bulges and pointed them out he agreed but he asked to check and see anything else after a little while he pointed out that the barrel had no rifling..

He then explained that one of his security guards was doing a rapid fire drill had an undercharged round (squib) and fired the next round after which the same thing happend as the OP, the slide locked back completely with a halfway full magazine.

The guy had some swelling on his hands but that was it nothing major and the only damage to the GLOCK was the barrel. So he was emphasizing on the strength of the product he was selling me.

Mentioned that if it was another gun your chances of getting shrapnel all over you were high.

THE AMMO WAS FIOCCI.

19. Ralph2

Ralph2

Last WWB I bought and used was some 380 junk. Through my ear muffs I could hear the erratic levels in the degree of bang. Fortunately no true squib rounds stuck in the barrel.

I've had better consistency with Wolf.

20. SPRINTBENDER

SPRINTBENDER

I had 2 bad WWB rounds in 2 days with Lot No. 31xn50. The more people that know about this problem with the Winchester WWB 45gap the better. Winchester is going to wait until somebody gets "F'd"- up bad, before they pull that JUNK off the shelf!

I'm still waiting to get my G37 back from Winchester... I was taking Don Busse's, 3 Day Martial Arms Course when I blew mine up. Then the next day of class I had a bullet stick in my back-up G37. I had to drive the squib round out of the barrel to finish the course. The second gun I was using had never been fired before that morning. I live in Komiefornia so I bought a second one to leave in the safe so if I couldn't get another one later I'd still have a new spare. It really pissed me off taking a punch and hammer to a gun the first day I used it.

Winchester will send it to Glock and repair it, replace your remaining ammo... and they will send you a nice letter. It will kinda go like this...(I'm paraphrasing now because my letter is on my desk in my office.) We're sorry that you have had an unfortunate experience while using our product. We checked the remaining ammo and everything is within factory specs. BLAH BLAH BLAH.

PM me if you need their contact info. Be sure to tell them you know of 3 other WWB squibs and 2 other blown up Glock GAPS, because I would like to know if Carol or Sharon act surprised!

I had been a loyal Winchester customer for years until this.

Sprintbender