Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I just got my first gun. Brand new G45 9mm. I have some questions about its functionality.

1. The trigger creaks when you are pulling it to the wall. Is that a lubrication issue or normal?
2. After 100 rounds at the range, the barrel is showing lots of surface wear already. Normal or no? The gun was bought, and fired the way it was from the factory.
3. In the first two clips, I had 2 primer (probably poor quality range sold ammo) mis fires, and two ejection problems. One the gun caught the case in the ejection slot. The second it didnt eject at all.
4. Its FILTHY after the first 100 rounds. This is probably again the poor quality range ammo I had to buy when I went with it.
5. Lastly when the slide is locked out, and Im loading in a new clip, if I hit it home too hard, the slide will snap closed by itself. I have seen it happen in demo videos on youtube as well. Did not see like it was normal.

Sorry for the list...lol. But I have never owned one before and I thought they were dead reliable no matter what the ammo or conditions. Or is this a break-in problem or a lack of lube. Again I took it out brand new and went right to the range with it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
1. I can't tell what's normal or not without having the gun in-hand. It could be a lube issue. Lube the connector to trigger-bar interface per the manual, or find a good Youtube video which shows where & how.

2. The barrel will immediately show signs of wear. This is normal, but do lube the barrel per the manual.

3. Thanks for the info. I, and many others, prefer to use the name "magazines" or "mags", instead of "clips", btw.

4. Again, thanks for the info.

5. It's normal when strongly (nothing wrong with strong insertion) inserting a magazine for a locked-back-slide to auto-close. Auto-closing does & can occur with Glocks and other brands/models, too. Just be aware this auto-closing can happen and could be controlled by using less insertion force if it's of concern.

Reactions: Teecher45

·
Banned
6,432 Posts
1- I don’t understand what do you mean with that, but all Glocks need to be lubed.
2- Normal in Gen5 barrels
3- I never use reloads from anyone except me, my self and I (never trust range reloads)
4- Again never trust reloads! Who knows what they are using! Break Free CLP is a great cleaner and lube!
5- No needs to hit that hard! I always use the slide stop lever!
6- Always use quality factory ammo, enjoy the G45 wich is one of my personal favorites!

·
1911 lover
10,157 Posts
Guns get oil.. helps them to work. A new gun will get worn in and work better after some use.

Magazine is the term . Clips exist but they are for internal loading usually old rifles.

Get oil on the trigger parts and the rails and the barrel. Not a spoon full.. just a drop here and there

·
Registered
114 Posts
All normal, now clean and lube per the manual, I agree with the above posts, do not use range reloads, every Glock I have owned you can close the slide but smacking the butt just right.

·
Registered
590 Posts
My corresponding responses to your items (and CONGRATS on your first handgun- mine was a Ruger 22/45 in 2001):

1. Could need a drop of lube or two, or it might just need a few more range trips to settle in
2. Surface wear and little scratches from metal on metal contact are normal. The metal slide drags across the barrel as it cycles. Just keep it lightly oiled on the spots indicated in the instruction manual. The marks are normal and will increase over time- but it's fine.
3. Use decent quality ammo-- doesn't have to be exotic match grade stuff- just not the bargain basement stuff. Also make sure your support hand thumb is not dragging on the side of the slide a bit during fire. Finally, I like to use 124 grain 9mm ammo rather than 115grain. It gets the slide moving faster and seems to eliminate problems of this sort on some pistols. Oh, and make sure you are not 'limp wristing' any of your shots.
4. One persons 'filthy' is another's 'seasoned.' Give it a good clean & lube, it will be back in fine shape for your next range trip.
5. This has never happened to me, but I don't 'hit it home' when I insert a new magazine. I simply insert it with purpose and pull back on the slide to release it forward. Technically, I don't think you are supposed to release the slide with the mag release button either (consult the Glock manual on this).

Some of these items are most likely partially related to your being a new hand-gunner as well. Over time and with more range trips you'll iron out these niggles and learn what is a real issue, a perceived issue and par for the course.

Happy shooting and welcome to a great lifelong skill/hobby/sport/duty! : )

·
Registered
590 Posts
All normal, now clean and lube per the manual, I agree with the above posts, do not use range reloads, every Glock I have owned you can close the slide but smacking the butt just right.
YES! Do NOT use range reloads/remanufacture ammo! My Glock 17L will positively NOT run with 115grain reloads from my local range. Turns it into a jam-o-matic.

If I stick with good ol' CCI, Winchester, Aguilla, Sig, UMC, S&B, Remington, MagTech, etc., I'm good to go.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Clean and lube it via the handbook. Then go buy you some winchester white box, federal, sellier&bellot, fiocchi or browning ammo and put as many rounds though you can afford or find. Have fun! Welcome!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
All I will post has already been written:CLEAN and LUBE BEFORE FIRING!! Use only quality factory ammo for the first few hundred rounds,then if you want to use junk ammo,it then is your mistake and problem.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Clean and lube it via the handbook. Then go buy you some winchester white box, federal, sellier&bellot, fiocchi or browning ammo and put as many rounds though you can afford or find. Have fun! Welcome!
I agree with the ammo recommended here. No issues buying cheaper stuff for the range but cheaper doesn’t have to mean that it’s not quality ammo suited for the range. Stay away from the reloaded super cheap stuff. Not worth it imho. Also make sure you shoot some of the high quality ammo you intend to use in the gun for carry. I am surprised to see how many people shoot a lot but have never shot the ammo carried in their guns because it tends to be pretty expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I agree with the ammo recommended here. No issues buying cheaper stuff for the range but cheaper doesn’t have to mean that it’s not quality ammo suited for the range. Stay away from the reloaded super cheap stuff. Not worth it imho. Also make sure you shoot some of the high quality ammo you intend to use in the gun for carry. I am surprised to see how many people shoot a lot but have never shot the ammo carried in their guns because it tends to be pretty expensive.

Exactly why I stick with one or 2 brands when it comes to jhp's. It gets expensive vetting new ammo!

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Welcome. The G45 is an excellent choice.

Reactions: Teecher45

·
Registered
494 Posts
Exactly why I stick with one or 2 brands when it comes to jhp's. It gets expensive vetting new ammo!
I know right but I think you should be comfortable and used to shooting the same ammo you are preparing to defend yourself with. I have a custom Jarrett “Beanfield” rifle in .300 Jarrett that I got for an elk hunt about 10 years ago but I also use it for deer and it’s suitable for pretty much anything I’ll ever want to hunt in North America. I know when deer season rolls around I like to shoot a decent bit to aight it in and it’s really fun to shoot but the ammo is outrageous. I think I pay about $60 for a box of 10 plus shipping and I don’t reload. I know it’s a little bit like complaining of having to put premium gas in a Ferrari but $6+ a shot gets EXPENSIVE fast.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Welcome to the forum and firearms hobby.

If you are new to firearms, quality
training is advised.

Grip the pistol so that the web of your dominant hand is as high as possible under the slide/beavertail, with the butt or “hump” firmly against the butt of the dominant hand. The barrel should line up in a straight line with your dominant forearm. This puts the gun operating directly into your forearm bone structure.

If the ammo was reloads, that is likely the major cause. I have never had a problem with Winchester or Federal practice ammo in brass cases, even 115 grain which is about all I shoot.

The wear on the barrel and barrel hood is normal. A thin line of wear where the barrel top joins the slide on top appears fairly quickly, but doesn’t get a lot bigger. Some marking of the barrel proper is also normal.

Read the manual cover to cover, and lube as directed. It says a drop on those key places, and literally a drop is enough. It is good to put a couple more drops on the barrel and rub it around with a patch, and a drop inside the top of the slide. Minimal lube.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Congrats OP, the G-45 is my favorite Glock.
However, it’s a little too much for me to CC except in the winter.
Here’s some help:

View: https://youtu.be/tGpLf0Ja65Y

One point of contention for me. After cleaning, while lubing, I don’t wipe the lube off with a cloth. I lube per the manual, assemble it, rack the slide a few times, function check, then just wipe off any extra lube I see.
And, after you do it a few times, you can clean and lubricate you Glock in like 5 minutes.
Now, I’m just being curious, I believe you stated it’s your first Glock.
Is it your first pistol?
Your first firearm?
Are you comfortable with the manual of arms?
Are you going to carry it concealed?
What was the deciding factor to choose a G-45?
Just curious...

·
Registered
18 Posts
1-5. Probably already said but clean new glocks completely before shooting. I run 200-400 rounds of good ammo as fast as possible and ignore any issues. The first couple mags I literally dump them to get the gun loosened up. After that if you have any problems there is a problem.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,650 Posts
Range ammo loaded by cousins Billy Joe and Leroy. Buy some factory ammo and see how it really works.
That's a seriously reliable and effective handgun- some ammo isn't.

·
1911 lover
10,157 Posts
You can clean a glock in a few minutes with a bore brush and a few shop towels. Just a couple drops of oil. You can do a huge perfect cleaning every now and then.. but a super fast cleaning does 95 percent of the huge cleaning...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts