close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Brand new G17L all sort of malfunctions...Gutted.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by flatovercrest, Apr 15, 2012.

Tags:
  1. flatovercrest

flatovercrest

Picked up a brand new G17L at a gun shop today and trying to understand why I'm having all sort of issues at the first range trip. FTF, Stovepipes, slide won't lock open after last round. 17 malfuctions on the first 20 rounds on the gun...talk about Glock reliability!
    Any idea on what the problems maybe? I have never cleaned any of my past glocks out of the box (17, 19, 34) and they always shot reliably. Haven't cleaned this either and the thing is just a disaster..
    Ammo is WWB which I have in thousands of rounds, so I hope it's not the problem.
    Should I just contact dealer and Glock USA and send it back? Seriously discuraged right now, as it wasn't a cheap gun..

2. BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ Glockalfeliac

I would guess that the heavier slide on the G17L needs some hotter ammo to fully cycle the slide with a fresh recoil spring. WWB is known for being light loaded. I would try again with the RSA from your G17 or G34 that is broken in a bit more, and try the G17L's RSA in one of those guns to see if that is an issue. Alternatively I would try a box of some hotter 9mm ammo. Blazer is cheap and usually significantly hotter than WWB.

I had a similar experience with my first G24 and some light .40 reloads. I ended up with a 15 lb spring on a stainless guide rod to cycle that case of ammo.

Another G17L is on my list of Glocks to buy, but I'll probably get a G35 Gen 4 first.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012

3. 8th ID

8th ID

I believe BroncoAZ has it covered. I would recommend Sellier & Beloit 115gr fmj if you can get it. It is hot.

At least try some different/hotter ammo first. Maybe Win. NATO 124 gr fmj's.

4. flatovercrest

flatovercrest

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.
    Different ammo is out of the question, as I have thousands of rounds of WWB in my garage. Plus I have had zero malfunctions with WWB in many other 9s I own.
    Gun will be returned to the dealer on monday..this maybe the last chance I gave glock..

5. BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ Glockalfeliac

You seem determined to not give the gun a chance. At least try a broken in RSA from one of your other Glocks, cost is zero and you may find that that is the issue. You could get a stainless guide rod and 15 lb spring for $24 from Glockmeister and probably run the WWB just fine.

6. 8th ID

8th ID

My brother-in-law has a Gen4 G17. Out of the box, he was having almost as many malfs as you're having. Here's what he did--he locked the slide back for a week. Then went out and shot it with the same ammo. It worked great. He did have a few cases to the head. He has since upgraded to the new ejector. His 17 has about 800 rounds through it and is flawless.

7. Rally Vincent

Rally Vincent Bipolar

The only time I have probs out of my G34 (fav Glock ftw) is when I use WWB.
    Listen to what people say on here, give the pistol a chance. That long slide is very heavy. Under powered munitions is going to cause many, many problems. WWB is notorious for this.

8. hoghunter82

hoghunter82 FL Glocker #182

If I knew how to link a post I would. Check out my range visit for my new G17. My first mag through the gun went about as bad as yours did. And I was using NATO ammo. After the first mag everything was perfect. I shot 8 different brands of 124gr ammo without one issue after the first mag. Stick with it and try what others have posted. I gotta believe my issue was just an initial spring break in as I was using the hottest ammo I could find. I did clean and lube before my range visit. Going forward, on any new gun i buy I think I am going to use the Kahr break in process of racking the slide 500 times before going to the range.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

9. Bruce M

Bruce M

I think the manual suggests cleaning and lubricating the gun before using it so I might try that along with some hotter ammunition. I also agree with trying a used RSA but of course then if you go back to the original RSA it may increase the liklihood of issues until it has been cycled some.

10. misfit356tsw

misfit356tsw

The slide is meant to be roughly the same weight as a typical 17 slide due to the cutouts. With the gun assembled, rack the slide a couple of times to see if the RSA is catching. I disagree with everyone about the ammo in the 17L as I had the same issues as you but being a 1911 person I figured that a good break in period was required. The RSA does need to be broken in on the 17L, as the tip seems to need to chip. If you have the patience, run about 300 rounds through it. Good luck.

11. michael e

michael e

My 17L test fired date 7-7-11 has no issues. I use reloads that I use in all my other 9mms. Would go with new ammo first.

12. JBP55

JBP55

Clean and lubricate before ever firing any new gun. Clean, Lubricate, Shoot. Repeat.

13. BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ Glockalfeliac

I don't have a 17L here, but I took the complete upper (including barrel and RSA) from a G17, G22, G24C, G34, and G35 and weighed them for comparison.

G17 Upper: 17.0 oz
    G34 Upper: 18.2 oz
    G22 Upper: 17.6 oz
    G24C Upper: 21.5 oz
    G35 Upper: 19.7 oz

The difference from the G22 to the G24C is 3.9 oz. The 17L slide does have an extra lightening cut next to the firing pin, but I don't think it is enough to make up the entire difference of the extra slide length from the 34, so the 17L is likely more than 2 oz heavier than a G17.

This post from Butch shows the lightening cuts:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14385340&postcount=10

14. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

Glock 17L = 23.63 oz or 26.30 ounces depending on the source
    Glock17 = 22.22 ounces

15. misfit356tsw

misfit356tsw

I am just saying that the weight difference of the slide is insignificant because if Glock would have found it to be significant they would have put a different weight RSA in it. It is interesting to know the slide weight of the 24 in comparison to the 22 though.:wavey:

16. Radian

Radian

I'll give you 350 for it. You now have a used gun, new on cert they are 450, so pm me if you want to dump it.

I bet running something other than trash puff ammo will become a better option than talking a bath on a return.

Lawman is great, primary users of the glock weapons systems run that or nato spec ammo. Bet you don't find any WWB at FLETC.

17. Beretta92guy

Beretta92guy

Gotta chime in here......

i totally agree on the WWB ammo.....

though i do not have a Glock 34 as you, my Beretta 92 barely is able to cycle that stuff...some of the lamest, and most underpowered ammo i have ever shot......and i know that the G34 slide has significantly more mass/weight than my 92, i agree, its the ammo on this one

18. MikeG36

MikeG36

I've been thinking that this might solve the problem. Thanks for posting the info.

19. C0untZer0

C0untZer0

I have a 17L and it fires all sorts of 115gr - WWB, Blazzer aluminum, Blazzer Brass, Federal, Remington... 115gr, 124gr, 135gr and 147gr.

I don't buy that WWB is such trashy ammo that somehow it's OK that your 17L doesn't cycle it. Some people seem to getupset if anyone ever brings up a problem with the Holy Grail of handgun brands - the exalted GLOCK, and they start sputtering crap about limp wristing and trash ammo being at fault.

I personally don't think Glocks fire that well really completely dry. And pro bably when people say they are firing their Glock dry - they mean it in the sense that it's not wet with lubrication. Most metal if it gets a coat of almost any type of oil - even if that oil is wiped off with a cloth - some of the oil stays in the pores of the metal. On the other hand, if a gun is cleaned with a sonic cleaner or strong solvents like engine degreaser / brake cleaner - the lubrication can be completely removed and then you really are firing it dry.

There's a lot you left out - did you notice that the gun had the copper anti-seize it it?

You didn't even check to see if it was clean?

I've never fired a gun that I haven't checked out first with a Q-tip. I at least want to look behind the extractor and down in the striker channel, but hey to each his own.

I would clean it and lube it according to the Glock manual. Something like CLP or almost any decent gun oil should be fine. Then I'd shoot it again to see how it runs.

My guess is it's not properly lubed.

Also, if you want to dump it, I'll take it off your hands. I have a 17L, I have hundreds of rounds through it with no problems so far and I have a lot of fun with it at the range.

20. misfit356tsw

misfit356tsw

For some perspective on 115 grain ammo from the manufacturers websites.

Speer Lawman- 1200
    Winchester White Box- 1190
    CCI Blazer- 1145
    Remington UMC- 1145
    Federal American Eagle- 1160

So according to the websites WWB is hotter than most. If you really want hot go with S&B.