close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bram Stoker's Dracula

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by Shinichi, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Shinichi

Shinichi Snow yet?

Just finished reading it.

So much better than the movie. I rented the Canoe Reeves,Whinona Ryder movie just to compare it with.

I must say, the depth and texture of the book was very engrossing.(?)

:)

2. G. Gunman

G. Gunman Draw Varmint!

;) True story! I was stuck in a small seacoast town in Nova Scotia. It was Summer; it was hot; and there wasn’t much to do after the sun went down. One afternoon I wandered into the local general store and, while perusing, picked up a copy of Stoker’s, ‘Dracula’. Suddenly my evenings became much more interesting! The book is well-written and genuinely scary. (By comparison, all of the modern Dracula movies stink!)

So, anyway, I’m two-thirds of the way through the text; and asking myself all of the usual questions – like; ‘Where did Stoker come up with this plot?’ ‘Gee, could any of this be analogous to real life?’ You know! One morning I was driving into town along the port road; overnight a very large timber ship had pulled up, lengthwise, next to the dock. The road passed right alongside the wharf; and my truck was dwarfed by the enormous long black expanse of the ship’s side. When I came to the stern area I looked up; and, so help me God, I saw the large white letters: ‘S.S. Transylvania’.

I really did stop in town that day to buy a gold crucifix. I, also, had trouble sleeping for the next week or so. When the ship finally loaded up and left, I felt an enormous sense of relief. It, all, sounds very silly, now, I know; but you just had to be there to appreciate the impact a peculiar event like this can have on your alarmed and suspicious psyche! ;P

3. Jlarue

Jlarue GOOO SOONERS!!!

I have read the book many times and it is always a good read and not one that I have gotten tired of. IF you wsnt another interesting tidbit to the book look up the history of how it was written. The Dracula character was based loosley on a real person and the Van Helsing character was based on a college professot that Bram Stoker knew very well. It was said that Stoker got most of his vampire and occult knowleged from this gentlemen and that is why he placed the Van Helsing character in the book. All in all it is definatley an exciting read. If you get a chance you might want to read "Frankenstein" by Mary Shelley it's another great classic.

4. Hugo R

Hugo R Gaff G26 User!

One of my favorite all time novels. Very creepy especially when read in a good setting and time of year. None of the movies have impressed me very much.

Another terrifying book that IMHO was much better than the movie was The Exorcist. Parts of the book will make your skin crawl.

I had a similar experience as G.Gunman when I read the Amityville Horror. It was fall in OKC and the wind was blowing. I had the door and window open in my barracks room (USAF-Tinker AFB) and was deeply into the book. I was in a very nasty part of the book when suddenly a gust of cold air blew through the room and the door slammed shut! I was 19 years old and thought I was a tough guy, but I confess, I almost made lemonade in my pants. I had the willies for a week after that.

5. kage

kage proveyourealive

I second that recommendation; one of the best books I've ever read. Also, after you read it, be sure to do some research into Mary Shelly's life...I think you'd be surprised to find out who the character of the monster was based on. It brings a new level of appreciation and understanding into the work, it's much more than just a horror story.

/I'd post more here, but don't want to spoil it for you.

6. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

"Salems' Lot" is scary too. It's my favorite Stephen King book.

7. raindog

raindog

Agreed. His characterization of The 'Lot is awesome.

8. RS7

RS7

The total sense of despair in the novel would be difficult to capture on film.

9. DAL

DAL

Odd that I found this thread because I am currently reading Stoker's "Dracula." I am not very far in the book, but I am already hooked. I have read many classics, but somehow this one was missed.

Next year I will have to read "Frankenstein," but please tell me it's not written like a Jane Austen novel. God! how I hate Jane Austen. Sorry, ladies, if it's not true, but I once heard that Austen's books are a good window into the femenine thought process. I found it a scary, burdensome task to read her novel "Sense and Sensibility" and I want to stay FAR away from that experience again.
    DAL

10. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Bustin' Caps

Dracula is a true character. In Romania there was a warrior named Count Vlasidious Dragula who would impale his victims heads and then drink their blood from thier necks. Pretty gross stuff, because he belived that he would become immortal.

11. sigman69

sigman69

I third the Salems lot book ....much better than any of the movies...even though it is dated alittle in the setting it is still an excellent read.

12. Wingnut357

Wingnut357 Killer Casual

Frankenstein is more boring that a boat-anchor, but at least it's short.
    Dracula, on the other hand, is a work of art.

13. Cancri

Cancri

Dracula is sweet. I'm planning a summer trip to Romania and I'm not gonna miss the Transylvania ;)