close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Braided fishing line

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by noway, Nov 12, 2002.

1. noway

noway

In my quest to try new and different things, does anybody have a reccommended braided fishing line that they use? Can you give me some pointers? Do they cast just as equal as mono ? A good mfg ?

I do know that braided is less forgiving, that you need adequate drag and the line doesn't stretch as monofilament lines.

I'm currently using Stren Easy Cast or Trilene XT on my baitcast and spining reels.

2. tjpet

tjpet

I use SpiderWire for certain applications. It casts OK and is bull strong. About 5 times stronger for it's size vs. regular mono. If you fish heavy cover and need to muscle fish out it is THE line to use. It's also great for icefishing deep water as it has virtually no stretch and setting the hook at 50' is a snap.

The down side. It is expensive. It has very poor spool memory so much so that it's a PITA to use except on baitcasting reels. And even then you have to keep an eye on it.

For general purpose use I like some of the fusion types available now. Basically a mono/braid blend. But when I go out for bass and 'cats I'm rigged up with SpiderWire.

3. noway

noway

That was what I was thinking about buying. I'm using a line roughly 6 to 10lb .008 to .014 dia.

Currently I string everything with Rapala 6lb which has a very small dia but yet is strong and flexible and very resistant to abrasion + smooth casting for bait cast.
    It slowly has replace the stern Easy Cast. Everybody who I have talked to reccommends going to a heavier lines due to the lack of stretch with the braided line and the more positive hook set. I guess I will have to find out on my own.

4. Dogbite

Dogbite DNT TREAD ON ME

I was using normal mono--and lost some big fish and a lot of lures,so i changed all my rods to spiderwire.I use the fusion,not the full on braided line--i love it--it casts really good and is very very strong.

5. 45acp4me

45acp4me Pissed puppet

I love Spiderwire for it's lack of stretch and for fishing cover and weeds. I did hear just this past summer from a professional guide that it eats up ceramic guides. He likes the stuff from berkley a bit better, but I have had a hard time with it on spinning reels so I'll probably stick with the Spider wire and mono. My trolling rig has Spiderwire on it that's at least six years old now. :)

Try them all and see what you like.

6. noway

noway

Thanks,

I going to pick up some this weekend to try out.

7. flyboy5432H

flyboy5432H Pull.Mark.Bird.

for a braid, i use and recommend power-pro. very thin diameter for it's strength. we sell alot of this at the shop.

fireline is another that some like, along with spiderwire. i do not like the spider wire fusion as the coating comes off way to easily against pilings when fishing for snapper, grouper ans snook leaving a frayed white spot of spectra fibers.

braids are not an end all, they have thier applications. i usually go and get two spools, fill one with the mono i like *berkely big game inshore* and one with braid so i can trade on and off.

tight lines...

8. DWavs

DWavs Moderator Moderator

I have used Berkley Fireline for the past 6 years and will never go back to mono. Like others have said, if you can swallow the cost, I bet you'll like it.

9. paulito

paulito

spidercast,

i know my cousin uses nothing but braided line. i would love to use it, but it's so expesive and tend to lose line quite often. the lakes and ponds i fish in have a lot of brush under the water and that's where the fish are usually at so i fish there. there's a way to stretch your money out though. my cousin uses a well known brand for backing. he'll put about 50-75 yards of mono on first, then tie on the braided and use it to fill up his reel. this won't work if you're casting 150 yards, but i don't think you'll be doing that. it's strong and really tough! i just end up braking my line all the time so i don't even bother with it. good luck!

paulito

10. noway

noway

So whats the advantage of tying a monofilament line to a braided line? I still see the knot and the flex being present and a issue.

The one nice thing about the Trilene XT is it seems to last for ever and never just gives out. But either way I forked out the money for the spider wire ( $12.00 a spool )

"this is most I evere have spent on line and didn't get a free lure with it"

I 'm going back to my favorite fishing spots this weekend to give it a try.

11. paulito

paulito

i've never heard of braided line costing under $25 per spool. at least not in oklahoma, that's for sure. the purpose of putting the mono is to use it for backing. i use mainly baitcasting reels and they can hold up to almost 225 yards of line. if i put mono on first, it will only require so much braided (the actual line that's going to come off the reel while you're fishing.) the mono never leaves the reel. it will just save you some money by letting you use on so much braided line. you can use your braided on two reels instead of one. :)

12. LovemyGlock's

LovemyGlock's

FIRELINE!!FIRELINE!!FIRELINE!! It feels differant than mono but try to break it.;a ;+

13. tarpon

tarpon

Paulito-
    You shouldnt have a problem with losing line due to breakoffs if you use a line like power pro/fireline/spiderwire etc.
    You should be able to use a line that has a diameter similar to 6-8lb mono but has breaking strength in the neighborhood of 25-35 lbs or more.
    You will do better if you use a mono leader at the end of the main line so that the line is less visible to the fish, this will result in more hookups. A trick to not losing a bunch of your expensive line is to use a mono leader that is weaker than your main line. I know it sounds backwards but that way if you get hung up the mono will break off and you only lose the short section of leader material as well as your hook/bait/lure.
    I use power pro for all the fishing I do. It is cheaper in the long run, mono has to be replaced much more often.

Tarpon

14. treemanjohn

treemanjohn

The few downfalls to braided line is it's lack of stretch. When fish pick up the bait and turn they immediately feel the weight of the rod making them spit the bait out at times. Braid because of it's lack of stretch will also wallow a larger hook hole in a fishes mouth.

15. Dan in Alaska

Dan in Alaska

I use Power-Pro for saltwater fishing. I use 100lb. for halibut, and it works perfectly. The thinner diameter allows me to fish extreme tides with less "flagging" of the line, and I can use less weight to keep the bait on the bottom. Zero stretch is important when you have 200-300 feet of line out for halibut, and It also works well when trolling a diver/flasher rig for salmon. I really like a low stretch line when I am pulling all that crap through the water.

For bank fishing, I still use monofilament. I use 25lb. P-Line in "combat fishing" situtations around crowds. When the lines tangle, the knots are much easier to get out of monofilament than braided lines. And, I feel that mono still casts better than the braids.