Boy Scouts organization files for bankruptcy

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by BSA70, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

They are trying to figure out how to deal with an estimated one billion dollars in claims against a broke victim compensation fund. Bankruptcy will allow them to stay in business and put off paying lawsuits.

Rotn1 likes this.
  2. nam02G

nam02G First throwing ax bullseye.

Back in my day, mid 70's - mid 80's, adult leaders weren't vetted at all. I heard rumors about another local troop where the scoutmaster performed "short arm inspection" coming back from summer camp. But other than that no strong rumors. But that just means that it either wasn't happening around me or I just never heard about it.

3. Slackinoff

Slackinoff Bathed in lavender and gasoline

Sitting here in my office looking at my framed Eagle Scout Award from 2006. Best years of my childhood. I don't understand how quickly things changed in BSA. We had an awesome Scout Master. The kids in my troop were a tad rough, but from good, no-nonsense families. The kind of families that raised their kids to not let anyone bully or screw with them or their friends from another kid or adult for that matter. We were very tight knit. I never heard of molesting while I was in.

Neldon, pjanthony and cheygriz like this.
  4. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

I was in for one day and never went back. The kids let me know I wasn't welcome, and we got into a fight. The scout leader thought it was funny. I know other people had a good experience, but I was treated poorly.

5. Critch

Critch

My first scoutmaster in 1964 was a WWII veteran of the war in New Guinea and the Philippines. He smoked around us, probably had a flask of whiskey on him...but, he taught us to earn things. We worked to get money to go to the war surplus store and get tents, packs etc..many parents of today would have been appalled by him. He was a good man, a rough man, but he was a great teacher. My second scoutmaster was also my junior high shop teacher, another WWII vet...great man. I was a scoutmaster for 20 years and all three of my sons are Eagles..

Scouting got crazy. Too many non-participating dads, if they were in the home. Too many single moms who thought I was a baby sitter. Too many people at the top who treated the council as some kind of kingdom. My troop had fun, we did lot's of outdoor activities, but to be honest, after a while the scouts didn't want to have much to do with the other troops.

6. Intolerant

Intolerant

Should have been gone long ago.

7. cheygriz

cheygriz God Bless Trump

I was a Cub Scout, Boy Scout and Scoutmaster. I loved scouting.

But when the "Woke" politically correct arse-wholes took over scouting died. R.I.P.:(

Bus007, n2g, FullClip and 2 others like this.
  8. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Screen name checks out.

lazarus66 and clancy like this.
  9. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

I did everything. Eagle Scout. Scoutmaster, assistant scoutmaster, high adventure chair, advancement chair, cub master. You name it. For most of my married life vacation time was burned up on scout camps.

I finally got fed up with do nothing dads and uptight mommies who objected to freaking everything we planned. They wanted their little brats to be Eagle Scouts just don’t take them out to do the things needed to earn the title.

In the end I worked training adult leaders and with the shooting sports program. I finally gave it all up because of crap from the local council leadership. The political environment was so far from anything to do with teaching boys it was useless.

We were uniformed babysitters and were just supposed to look away when mommy turned in all the work for merit badges.

It was killed from the top down.

10. scattershot

scattershot

You could see the handwriting on the wall when they started allowing homos and girls into the organization to be politically correct.

11. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

Some idiot from the LGBQ'X' here in Florida is demanding that while reporting this story about the BSA and CB Scouts, all the news outlets "stress" (<-- his word) that the majority of abusers in the BSA were NOT homosexual pedophiles. Wed, Thu, Fri!?!?

In essence, he is trying to say that all the MALE pedophiles who were molesting their MALE victims were mostly heterosexual. Um......... yeah, that makes sense.

Agenda before brains. Say "hi" to the leftists here in America! :)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    vikingsoftpaw and Rotn1 like this.
  12. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam
    I thought being a scout was ok when I was a kid. Then I realized I could do all the fun parts of scouting and skip the dumb ones if I just did stuff on my own.

that put the nail in the coffin for me and lots of the kids I scouted with.

13. Jonesee

Jonesee

New ways of the world?

The oldest scout claiming abuse is 93 years old.
    There were news articles dating back to 1935 about the "degenerates" in the scouts.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    Rizzo, faceplant and clancy like this.
  14. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

Sounds like ****ing kids was the writing on the wall. You can blame that on "letting in the homos," but the church has the same damn problem and they still don't accept gays.

Rizzo and clancy like this.
  15. Cade

Cade anti-poster

Our Lions Club chapter sponsors the local Boy Scout chapter. A year ago they came to us and inquired about letting girls join. We unanimously opposed this and told them if they wanted to allow this we would no longer be their sponsor. We still sponsor them today.

Neldon likes this.
  16. glock_collector

glock_collector

I have a heck of an outdoor range, one troop leader and I were talking, he asked for activity suggestions...How about a .22 rifle shoot, parents welcome, no charge for my instructors, ammo, gun, bevg ect....couple months go by and I see leader and ask whats up? He said the idea sunk like a rock, alot of single mothers, liberal ideals, do not understand firearms and don't want to, and all the good associated with it...so they sure won't introduce lil johnny to it..Like one poster said, they use it for a daycare, but don't you dare introduce johnny to anything the parents don't understand or agree with.

17. clancy

clancy Oh, for a muse of fire

I was a cub scout in the 60's, and joined the Boy Scouts. No one spoke about it, but a few of the fathers of the older boy scouts gave a world class beat down to the scoutmaster one night. The scout troop was shut down and disbanded. I later found out that the scoutmaster had been molesting their boys. He was the classic macho type, Marine, Korean War vet, married with several children. He was also molesting his daughter. The issue of scoutmasters abusing scouts has nothing to do with the allowing of gays to be scoutmasters.

Rizzo and Jonesee like this.
  18. Jan R Whitaker

Jan R Whitaker

I was a boy scout back in the early 60's. had a great time and learned a lot of good stuff while I was in scouting. now about everything is electronic and not much outside activities. The changing times I guess.

19. Rotn1

Rotn1

As already mentioned Chapter 11 is a "Reorganization" attempted reorganization process under the supervision of a Bankrupcy Court and Judge. It will give them their best chance of recovering.

Having said that this countries culture, priorities and values have changed so much I don't know if there is a place for them anymore in the modern day. Sad really.
    There sure is a need for their values.

The only thing I know about pedophiles is if there is a target rich environment then they will work their way into it. Doesn't matter what it is. If there are a bunch of kids there will be pedophiles.
    No making excuses, but it is a high risk responsibility for any organization / institution.

Critch, Intolerant and PBCounty like this.
  20. Neldon

Neldon Sir Arthur if you Puh-leeze!

All these statements are right on track. The failure of BSA can be directly tracked to the parallel of moral decay.
    That same moral decay is bringing the USA to it's knees.

Ross-in-Pa and Rotn1 like this.