Boy Scouts organization files for bankruptcy

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by BSA70, Feb 18, 2020.

1. BSA70

BSA70

I think you can put this 110 year organization in the can. Looks like the final nail in the coffin is sexual abuse claims. Very sad, when I was a kid in the 70s and 80s, every boy wanted to be a scout.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oOqAO8JI0o

2. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

They did it to themselves.

3. M&P15T

M&P15T All Hail King Kona

Sounds like they're still in business, just doing Chapt 11 to work through the suits.

4. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Think they PC'd themselves to death and didn't vet some of the adult leaders. It is a shame.

5. BSA70

BSA70

They're also experiencing kids no longer interested in being a scout.

6. HJB

HJB

I don't know anything about the problems of sexual abuse in scouting so I can't comment on that.

But as far as kids no longer being interested in scouting, that is just more of the same that is causing lots of problems in the USA today. Parents do not promote the characteristics that scouting always stood for. That's because so many parents do not exhibit those characteristics !

7. catman71

catman71 Spewer of TROOF

rape will do that.

Not suggesting that they are all rapists, it’s just a fact the majority of people from any age or demographic prefer to not be raped

8. DrewBone

DrewBone

The Boy Scout Oath:

"On my honor, I will do my best
    To do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law;
    To help other people at all times;
    To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight."

The new ways of the world were allowed to infiltrate and corrupt the oath and members of the Boy Scouts of America, and that's a complete and utter shame.

9. pblanc

pblanc

I have no doubt that a substantial number of Scouts were abused. Having said that, I was a Scout and have met many other people who were also Scouts. I have yet to meet one who said they were personally harassed or molested in any way.

I think this is a classic case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

10. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member Millennium Member

Naw. It has nothing to do with that. Once upon a time in yesteryear, post war time, Boy Scouts took off because it was something fun to do. They didn't have streaming TV like now, or video games, or cell phones and social media let alone computers. They played outside, walked to school, rode bikes, lived in smaller towns with lots of other post war kids in the neighborhood. Kid sports was different too. Back then sure they had little league, but now there's any number or organized kid sports with the city league or club sports. Organized sports in school now starts in middle school not high school. There's WAY more homework and less free time for kids. Add in larger cities, and now kid's can't just walk to school or to scouts, they need an adult to drive. The soccer mom. But moms don't stay home as much as they used to, often both parents work. Few parents let their kids walk or bike to school unless they live close. Sprawling suburban developments mean longer distances to school and parents commute to work from less expensive areas.

There's just a lot more going on. Scouting is no longer the only thing to do. Add to that the problems with scouting... Parents don't have time to do outings, everything costs more, scout budgets are always slim, outings take up a lot of time, and all the molestation worries that are a reality.

It used to be really cool to join a sorta paramilitary organization with uniforms and codes and badges and adventures to simulate their war hero dads and brothers and friends. Now it's just one option among many, and not as attractive at all.

11. B C

B C

Maybe if we import millions of foreign kids we can save the scouts - The left.

12. HJB

HJB

I think a lot of your points are right.

azbuckeye and Ross-in-Pa like this.
  13. JArthurD

JArthurD Silver Member

Ever start to get the feeling that everything that used to have meaning is now meaningless?

-Religion/The Bible
    -Bill of Right/Constitution
    -Male/female marriage
    -Civil War Monuments
    -Paintings of the Founding Fathers
    -Patriotism
    -The American Flag
    -Legal citizenship
    -Police authority

I could go on. Suffice to say that liberals have (or are in the process of) dismantling every last piece of moral infrastructure that bound us all together. I agree with @Ramjet38. In this case, the scouts did it to themselves but nonetheless, it represents another crumbling brick in the wall.

Makes you wonder where it will all end. -If at all.

14. Z71bill

Z71bill

The boys that want to do the scouting thing can just join the girl scouts -

15. Ross-in-Pa

Ross-in-Pa Western Pa

I was a Cub Scout, then a Boy Scout, achieving Eagle Scout in 1984.

The skills I learned there have definitely helped to make me who I am today.

That being said, the organization is dead to me now, due to several factors.

Allowing girls to join and participate in scouting activities. It's the BOY scouts.
    Allowing openly gay adult leaders.
    Participating in coverups of sexual abuse, like the Catholic Church.

rayzer007, 1eyedjack01, n2g and 6 others like this.
  16. evlbruce

evlbruce

Too toxic masculine for current year.

Dr. Bill likes this.
  17. cyberghostx13

cyberghostx13 USMC "The Few The Proud"

Well I was a 50s child had a brother four years older and a sister four years younger, I was the classic middle child. So when I asked to sell newspapers riding my bike, my parents no, we tried that with your brother. So I wanted to be a Cub Scout, my parents said no, we tried that with your brother. So around five of us in my neighborhood all hung out together and made our own adventures and fun and believe me we had tons of fun.

Dr. Bill likes this.
  18. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

So you never had anything to do with Boy Scouts but... cool story bro. :rolleyes:

19. powernoodle

powernoodle

This is classic social entropy. Just as an egg left on the sidewalk decomposes and eventually disappears (unless you pick it up and place it in the fridge), societal norms inexorably march toward decay. It requires effort, energy and struggle to retain the status quo. It takes no effort to let things disintegrate. This is why Leftism grows like a cancer. The more complacent the populous, the more likely it is to slide into the abyss. Prosperity feeds laziness, laziness feeds Leftism, and Leftism feeds destruction. Its the circle of life. We are not near the end of this cycle, but we can see its machinations.

20. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

I was an adult scout leader and scout master in the late 90s into the early 2000s. There was a problem back then with scouts being a haven for pedophiles. I didn't have a problem (that I knew of) in my troop but there were several issues I was aware of at the district level.

Otherwise Scouts was a great organization that taught fantastic leadership skills. Sad to see it fall.

Rotn1, Jade Falcon and Ross-in-Pa like this.