close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Boy Killed by BB gun

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Jake Starr, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Jake Starr

Jake Starr

http://www.kypost.com/content/news/...-Pellet-Or-BB-Gun/WkA1RPG44UCv_Fy6bb3yjA.cspx

Police Say Boy Fatally Shot By Pellet Or BB Gun

Last Update: 3/15 2:19 pm

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) — Police in Louisville say an 11-year-old boy was fatally shot by either a pellet or BB gun.

Police spokeswoman Alicia Smiley says it's believed a 16-year-old relative of the boy shot him Sunday evening.

Smiley says the 11-year-old boy was shot at least once in the upper torso and was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Smiley says the 16-year-old was questioned but it was decided no charges would be filed after a discussion between the homicide unit and the Commonwealth's attorney's office.

©2010 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Sad situation. Happened not far from my home.

2. BigDog[RE]

BigDog[RE] NRA Member

Wow, my brother was shot by a BB gun, and the BB penetrated his intestines in about 6 places. He spent a long time on the operating table getting patched up. BB guns are just that , guns, and you need to obey the four rules.

3. Al Czervik

Al Czervik

I knew a kid that took a BB to the temple. It bounced off his skull, but he nearly died from an aneurism the next day.

4. Zagato

Zagato

damn. i got shot in the face once by a buddy. i then proceeded to give my crossman the full 10 pumps and unloaded one in his ***, point blank. bad luck for this kid. RIP.

5. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

daisy Powerline 880s are known for 'hiding' BBs in the hopper and then dislodging them when the user thinks the gun is empty, pumps it up and points it at a person and fires what they think is just air. A few kids have been shot through the heart with a bb shot out of an 880. I have one and have had the bbs get lodged exactly how I read they do on the recall report.

I have since then SBR'ed my bb gun. think I need a tax stamp?

6. Psychman

Psychman NRA Patriot Life Member

Pellet guns of days gone by are much different than the guns of today. Many have muzzle velocities of 1000fps or more. Depending on where they hit, they can tear blood vessels and arteries quite easily. Lucky you were using the less powerful ones. I am assuming this happened when you were a kid and not an adult.

7. Zagato

Zagato

hehe yes, this was junior high, about 12 years ago. i was shot by and shot my buddy with a BB. i wouldnt have done it with a pellet.

8. bluenoise

bluenoise

My cousins used to play with theirs the way people do Airsoft these days. Of course, they didn't use any safety gear at all and one of my cousins took one in the eye. Screwed his eye for life (it's been over 25 years).

I feel sorry for that boy's family. How tragic.

9. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

My cousin killed his brother accidentally by shooting him in the heart with a bb gun when they were little kids.

10. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

So much for the Caliber debate huh?

11. Chad Landry

Chad Landry Cajunator® CLM

Hell, I've killed hamsters by looking at them.

12. Zagato

Zagato

you must be related to Chuck.

13. pakettle

pakettle

Ban them assult weapons!

14. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

This is why when I was a kid my dad wouldn't let me have a BB gun. He said they're dangerous because nobody takes them seriously enough, and that I'd have to wait, and then he'd get me a real gun when I was old enough, which he did.

However, against my dad's wishes I continued to hang out with other kids who did had BB & pellet guns. Not one of them ever received any real safety instruction from their dad's, got no supervision at all, and they all were very reckless with the guns. Looking back, I'm lucky one of those idiots didn't kill me. We used to walk around town killing birds & shooting at anything - IN TOWN - & their parents knew it, (mine didn't) but didn't care.

I still think if dad had got me one and enforced proper gun safety & proper behavior on me I'd have used it safely, but I'd have been the only kid in town who did.

15. bluenoise

bluenoise

My folks got me my BB gun when I was 10 years old. There was a catch, though. I opened the present and got to admire it. Then, my dad took it away and handed me the NRA's list of firearm safety rules. He made me memorize the list until I could recite it to him verbatim before I'd ever see the gun again.

I sure had a lot of fun with that gun after I got it, sniping the neighborhood kids, etc.

(Just kidding on that last part. :supergrin:)

16. sjf

sjf

Really, too bad about the kid...

But seriously? Officer Smiley??? :rofl:

17. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

hahaha. :) Must be using the "evil" eye. :)

18. Jake Starr

Jake Starr

When you can drop a goat, call me...:supergrin:

19. zoyter2

zoyter2 Yeah, so what?

This^^

I have a bud big into air guns. There are models up to 50 caliber that use the same projectiles as a black powder gun. They hunt hogs and deer with them.

Some of the "store shelf" guns have as much power as a .22 rifle.