close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Boxing

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by mattpreston007, Dec 11, 2006.

1. mattpreston007

mattpreston007 Praetor Maximus

I'm considering trying out boxing. Not serious competition or anything, just for exercise and to learn how to fight. Am I likely going to get my face messed up doing this? Doesn't make much sense to get buff for the chicas if I'm going to break my nose in the process.

2. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

The martial arts forum gets even less traffic than this one, but you may get a better answer there.

I say go for it. The crooked nose thing works for the dude in Wedding Crashers.

3. DBradD

DBradD

<----- former jiu-jitsu guy because he hates getting his nose and lip busted every other workout!
    :laughabove: :laughabove: :laughabove: :laughabove:

4. California Jack

But you didn't mind having the oxygen supply to your brain cut off?

5. DBradD

DBradD

Nah, that doesn't hurt. Besides, after a little while, one knows when it's hopeless and taps out before getting close to passing out.

The only part that I hated were throws. There's really no way to do that without hurting somebody, IMO. During my very last class, we did bull-in-the-ring and I was thrown about 80 times, mostly on my right side. The next day, a muscle in that areas spasmed and I had to go to the hospital. That was 10.5 years ago. I STILL have that muscle spasm every now and then, even now. Gee, that was worth it. We had lots of other throwing injuries too, so it wasn't just me.

I think groundfighting is about as safe as it gets though. I've been thinking of enrolling in a good ground-based class after I get in great shape from CF. It would be cool to be a cardio beast on the mat.

6. California Jack

7. DBradD

DBradD

Yeah, that's more or less what I did before, for about a year, and thought it was an absolute blast. That was right after I quit powerlifting.

Then I realized that even though I was pretty good and very strong, it still took significant effort and time to beat a 150 lb pencil-neck white belt. Then I realized that most fights would have multiple attackers who were larger than me. Then I bought a glock. Now I'm here at GT talking about jiu-jitsu. That's a weird cycle if I ever saw one.

8. California Jack

What kind of ground based classes do you plan on taking? I've been thinking about Judo, but at my age, I'm not sure i could take the throws either. Some sort of submission grappling would be fun, butnot sure we have that here in OKC.

9. DBradD

DBradD

Definitely a jiu-jitsu class. I think most nowadays focus on groundfighting due to UFC, etc. Might consider a MMA class, but I really hate striking, or more to the point, being struck, LOL. With the success of UFC, etc., I'd be shocked if there are not at least a couple of BJJ schools in OKC.

It's a personal thing, but I really don't care for judo. I was taking both way back when, and it was actually during judo that we did bull-in-the-ring and I got hurt. I should've been more precise about that. It's almost all bone-jarring throws. The rules are such that they put fighters back on their feet at the slightest excuse to limit groundfighting and hopefully cause a win by throwing. Most groundfighting victories are from hold-downs instead of submission. Besides, they don't allow kneebars, ankle locks, etc. which I think are great fun.

10. California Jack

Hey Brad,

Yeah I was confused by your posts. I thought you were saying you got thrown and hurt in BJJ. I was under the impression that there wasn't muchof that in BJJ,b ut I'm no expert. So, when you said that I assumed ther was no other type of grappling in the area. THere is BJJ.

Jack

11. DBradD

DBradD

Sorry for the lack of precision. We had class two days per week, one day judo and one day jiu-jitsu almost exclusively groundfighting. Same teacher, facility, and students. We moved from that area and I couldn't find a JJ school in the city that we moved to.

In that city, there was a judo class, but that was it. I went to it for about a month and had enough of throwing, so I gave it up for good. My back kept threatening to spasm and I almost got KOed one night from being thrown on the side of my head. Ear was blue and my neck hurt for days. I'm too much of a wimp to find that fun.

To my knowledge, most BJJ schools do very little throwing, which is a common criticism of the art by some. I look at these arts as fun, not self-D or sport, so that seems like a plus to me.

If you're interested in that kind of thing, I recommend watching a class or two in street clothes (to avoid temptation to participate before you assess the safety). Groundfighting is an absolute blast.

12. California Jack

That's what I had thought, hence my confusion.

Thanks for the heads up.