close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bow hunting, nothing particular

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by ithaca_deerslayer, Oct 22, 2003.

1. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

So, bow season started in NY and this past Saturday was my first time out.

I've got 3 stands, a favorite hill side place to sit, and a couple other favorite wooded spots to sit. For the morning I decided to go to the ladder stand I had set up in a nice spot a few weeks ago, with a buck rub near.

Yup, face to the wind, got there before sunrise. Sat as still as I could, just moving my eyes, and ever so slowly turning my head to get about 180 degree of good vision. If anything was behind me, I generally didn't turn to look. If it was a deer, it had probably smelled me and was looking for me to move to confirm suspicion. If it came around to the front then I'd have a chance for a shot. So, no need to turn my body and look behind.

Doe came from the front, within 20 yards, walked past and then around behind me, obviously smelled me then. Kept stamping her feet to get me to move and look. But I don't play that game sister. My goodness, she kept it up for at least 15 minutes. Then she walked up on the stone fence under my tree, and I could hear the stones moving, then she walked away, I finally turned to watch her walking away.

30 minutes later a button buck followed generally the same path, then circled around directly in front of me as he passed under the stand. Maybe 15 feet away and right in front of me, with him looking up at me every so often. Could see a line of what appeared ruffed fur on his back that was actually left over spots filled in with the winter coat. He turned away, and I was never intent on taking him anyway.

In the afternoon, sat on a hill side, looking into the wind. Darned doe walked up downwind of me. She smelled me but could not find me. She didn't seem too alerted, and I didn't think she was going to come in front, so I slowly turned to take a look. She looked at me, but didn't see me. She was nice broadside within 20 yards, but leary. She was good size and I made a move on her and played the game of bringing up my bow when her head was behind a tree. I had to get my whole body pivoted around to face her without making any noise, and without her seeing me. But I think my heart was pounding too loud. And when she passed the tree she looked back at me, now holding that bow up and facing her. Not drawn yet. But the bow was starting to shake a bit as she stared me down on and off for about 10 minutes. Jeepers, just run off if you're going to, I thought. Waited for her to move just to the next tree so I could get a chance to draw when her head was behind it. Come, on, just another step... but it never happened. She started to twitch her tail and walk off.

Heading back as it was getting near sundown, I was exiting the woods by walking through a bit of swamp area next to my woods, walking quiet so as to not spook the deer out feeding in the field, but not trying to get them, I get to the grass path along the outside of my pasture fence, and guess who starts walking out from the woods? It's Mr 4 point that I've been watching every day for the past couple months with the binoculars. He walks out, sees me and says "D'oh!". I had heard him and had my bow raised but not drawn (in retrospect I should have had it drawn). He was maybe 10 to 15 yards away. Again, we're playing that old familar game. He's looking at me but can't see me or hear me. My bow's starting to shake after 5 or more minutes. Stomping his feet, not sure, still looking at me. Finally he decides to turn around and go back in the woods. I hear him and where he's going. I don't move. He's not running off or anything. He gets no sound from me, so he decides to come back out in a different spot just the other side of me. Again, I'm ready for him with my bow up (but not drawn, should have had it drawn). He starts to come out in the other spot and then looks at me again as if to say (Oh crap, you're still here?!). He goes back in the woods again. Getting dark. I hear him, but guess nothing I can do about it, he'll come out somewhere else but it is now past sundown. So I just walk the rest of the way home.

Oh, well, another day.

2. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

No comments by anyone else in this thread? Hmm. Now that gun season is well underway, I'll bump it back up to the top. I see there are a lot of new hunters. Maybe this thread will give them some info/ideas/laughs.

3. Cuse93

Cuse93

Sounds like you are getting some action up there. Where are you at in NY? I hunt in Delaware and Broome Counties.... Also down in Orange/Putnam later in the season.

Up for the rifle opener this Monday/Tuesday in Delaware county and saw lots and lots of deer. The rut is definitely on and there was lots of movement. Several of my neighbors took small bucks on Monday. Only one shooter though came across my sights and you can see my thread below on buck fever.....

I was really surprised I wasn't able to get a doe tag for 4-O this year. Got one for Orange/Putnam but couldn't get one for Delaware County. Crazy considering the number of deer up there.

Good luck....

4. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I hunt from Rochester to Albany. All in shotgun zone, on private lands. I also hunt occasionally in Adirondacks in rifle zone. Mostly Livingston and Albany counties.

Often lots of good action. They are definitely in rut.

The issuing of doe tags is a mystery!

5. Shinichi

Shinichi Snow yet?

Ithaca,
    To me, that is a great day! and a great story about knowing when and hoe not to tak a shot. I don't currently hunt, jsut a paper target shooter, but have been thinking about taking up that bow with an eye towards hunting in the next couple of years. Not in a hurry to screw up a nice animal.

Really enjoyed it.

John;c

6. MDT

MDT Glock21Love

Ithaca,

I agree, that would've been an awesome day! As many of the hunting threads have described, there is something about being out there. The things you see, not just the deer or ducks or turkey, but the squirrels, bobcats, field mice, hawks, coyotes. The little things that you experience while you are trying to fill your tag. Man, it's all gravy! You had a great hunt, you didn't educate the deer, they never knew. They will be back and you will stick an arrow in one! Congrats;c !

MDT

7. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Thanks for the nice comments. I encourage anyone who is interested in hunting to take up bowhunting. It isn't what you get or don't get, but rather the experience of being out there.

Squirrel hunting is good for starting out, too. Use a .22 and take a good headshot when the're on the ground close. And then, of course, eat what you take.

Bow bowhunting is really where it is at. I love gun season and all the activity then. But during bow season, you find the deer much more relaxed. More leaves are up, and everything has to be in close. You think in terms of 20 yard limits. Up close and personal. Later in gun season, with all the leaves down, the cold snowy winds blowing, and the deer thinned out a bit and spooked a lot, you sometimes only see the deer running 100 yards away. But in bow season, you can get them to walk within 20 yards of you.

8. MDT

MDT Glock21Love

just reread my post...

I think it looked like I shot field mice and hawks.... I meant it's cool to get to see this stuff WHILE you are waiting for the deer or whatever....

I agree Ithaca, bowhunting is awesome. Anything that gets you out there!

MDT

9. oneinthepipe

oneinthepipe

ithaca,
    i live in the northern tier and also enjoy bowhunting. i've bagged 3 w/my bow this year and one doe w/shotgun in your neck of the woods this past weekend. i hunt in 7R near ithaca. we have a camp on private land and escape there as much as possible. we would rather hunt there than up home in jefferson county(6G).
    good hunting!
    oneinthepipe

10. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Oneinthepipe, that's pretty good. 3 with the bow in one season. Now with a total of four, your freezer is full!

11. oneinthepipe

oneinthepipe

deerslayer, i shot 2 does in one afternoon on opening day of the early season and the buck on the second day. filled all my early season tags from last season. i still have 3 doe tags for 7R and my buck tag. i'll go out saturday near home but probably will not get back down south.

12. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

my 04 bowtech extreme vft comes in 2 days!!!

13. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

my 04 bowtech extreme vft...
    next season i may just hunt with this instead so i can get access onto private land easier.

it can remove a squirrels head at 20 yards no problem

strictly ninja business

14. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

15. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

the new mossyoak obsession camo

16. Tommy Gun

Tommy Gun CLM

Thanks ID, always great to share stories. I can learn something from what others have to say and the excitement is contagious..