close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bow Hunting Advice?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by lazarus, Oct 11, 2004.

1. lazarus

lazarus Hard to Kill

After hearing several people talk about hunting right now and enjoying the beautiful weather we experience in VA in October, I broke down and bought a bow.

Bow Season runs the whole month of October. Muzzle Loader comes in on 10/30 and rifle season on 11/15 (at least where I live/hunt).

I zeroed the pins and after a little practice, I can generally keep a three arrow group on an index card at 20 yards.

Are there any bow-hunting gurus out there? What advice can you give a new guy? I am planning to go out this coming weekend. I will be chasing white tails in Central Virginia.

2. buckfever34

buckfever34

First of all, welcome aboard...you will have many enjoyable hours of hunting ahead of you.

As far as shooting goes, your maximum range should be to the distance which you can consistently hold a five shot group within a diameter a little smaller than a pie plate (a pie plate is near the size of a deers vitals). Never attempt to take a shot out of your range.

The most important thing of successful bowhunting is being as scent free as possible. You don't have to spend $300 on a scent lok suit but I would suggest washing your clothing in scent free detergent, taking a shower with scent free soap/shampoo, and being careful to not get any scent onto your clothes until you arrive at the woods.

At this time of year, you are going to be hunting the deer in their more routine travel patterns (to and from feeding and bedding areas) because the pre-rut (at least in my area) is not here yet.

Your best bet would be to go out the night before and drive around looking at feeding areas. If you have permission to hunt near on an open field where you see deer feed just before dark you should try to set up on that field for your first hunt. Be careful to always use the wind wisely.

If you don't see the deer come out during your first hunt, try moving further into the woods closer to the bedding area. Move a little closer each time and you will eventually get a crack at one. You don't want to get too close or you will spook deer on the way in.

If you are hunting hills remember to hunt high in the mornings and low in the evenings. At this time of the year evenings are much more successful for me.

If you can find a small strip of timber connecting 2 larger sections that is an excellent place to set up, both because the deer will use it for a travel route and you will be more likely to get one within bow range. Inside corners are also good options.

Above all, enjoy being outdoors when the weather is beautiful. You may not be as successful at filling your tag while bowhunting but more than likely you will see more deer which will be more fun!!

Hope this helps!! If you need any specific q's answered let me know. BTW, what kind of bow did you get???

Clint Waskom (Buckfever34)

3. lazarus

lazarus Hard to Kill

Thanks!

I got a Fred Bear Vapor 300. I bought it from a local dealer who fit it to me. He's a guy I buy guns from all the time, and I know he values my business. I figured I could trust him to set me up right.

http://www.fulldraw.net/fredbear/vapor300.tpl

4. lomfs24

lomfs24

First of all I wanna say "Welcome to the Stick and String world." It sounds like you will be hunting deer so I can't really ad anything to what buckfever had to say. He had some great tips. I mainly hunt elk so most of the advise I would give you wouldn't do you much good.

Welcome anyway.