Boulder City---why cancelled?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by armedpoet, Sep 10, 2005.

1. armedpoet

armedpoet

I moved to Vegas recently and was bummed to see that the Boulder City match was cancelled? Anyone know why?

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Perhaps because of poor attendance, perhaps because the host range declined to accept the new GSSF standardized contract.

3. j wilson

j wilson

It is rumored that Desert Sportsman's in Las Vegas is considering it. Nothing formal has been done to my knowledge, but the possibility exists.

4. armedpoet

armedpoet

I know it's a rumor, but if Desert Sportsman picks up GSSF, will it be this year?

5. j wilson

j wilson

People close to the talks say they are trying to get it for the slot vacated by Boulder City.

6. armedpoet

armedpoet

Thanks for the info j wilson. Let's hope it works out. In the meantime, I was planning to head out to the Sin City shooters shoot on the 25th and checking out the scene. Any experience with those folks?

7. j wilson

j wilson

They put on a fairly decent match but have serious issues with getting the results out. The last posted results on their web site are from July.

There is a Steel Challenge match on the 17th. The results are posted on their site the same day. This month setup is at 7:00 am, start at 8:00 am.
    See: http://home.mindspring.com/~steel-match/

If you're into Man on Man, CPAAN in North Las Vegas is having a shoot on the 24th.
    See: http://www.cpaan.com/

8. armedpoet

armedpoet

I'm kinda new to this---usually I just plug away at Shooter's Supply by myself. What is a Man on Man competition? You don't have to be LE to participate right? Thanks for your time j wilson---I'll buy ya a beer if we ever meet.

9. j wilson

j wilson

They set up two identical arrays of steel poppers. Between the arrays is a crossover popper (two poppers at a slight angle in the rack so they cross each other when knocked down). Two shooters engage their respective array and then the crossover. The one on the bottom is the winner. They shoot through the classes on an elimination basis, usually a double or triple elimination. We did have one occasion where the crossovers went at the exact same time and locked up half the way down. I doubt that I’ll ever see that again. If you’re not familiar with poppers you can see them at http://www.mgmtargets.com/

10. j wilson

j wilson

Oops! forgot the other question. No you don't have to be law enforcement to participate. The match is put on by a police auxillary group as a fund raiser to provide a few extras for the local force.

11. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

J Wilson, Having shot the american handgunner a few years, it isn't all that uncommon to have the poppers hit together. The shooter that keeps hammering it usually wins but sometimes it makes his popper bounce up, allowing the other to fall down. You may see it happen again if you keep shooting man on man. It is a pretty close race when that happens, isn't it?

12. j wilson

j wilson

Yes, it was awesome. These two guys were Master class Open shooters and just hosed the string. I hope I see it happen again, wish I could get it on video.

13. armedpoet

armedpoet

Man on man sounds like a blast---thanks for the info!