close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

bought some smoked ham hocks today

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by 97guns, Mar 18, 2006.

1. 97guns

97guns

didnt really know what i was gonna do with them but i found some baby kidney beans in the pantry and i have them going in the crock pot right now. ive never done em like this before so we'll see.

2. Dandapani

Dandapani

the beans will cook before the smoked hocks get tender. what i do is to pressure cook them first in water for 30-45 minutes, reserve the stock, separate the bones and discard, shred the "meat" :) and then add everything to a pot of soaked beans and add enough water to the reserved stock to cook the beans. but that's just me ;a

3. Remander

Remander

I use smoked hocks for greens (mustard, collards, etc.)

I usually simmer the hocks and some onion and garlic in water for a bit before I add the greens, to suck the flavor out of the hocks.

By the time the dish is done, the hocks themselves will have almost no flavor to the meat. All the flavor is now in the pot liquor.

You may have the same experience with your beans. Please report back and let us know how it turns out.

When we make red beans and rice in Louisiana, many folks use hocks for flavor. Works great!

4. 97guns

97guns

they came out really good, i added everything together at once and the beans were a little soft and overcooked. the only problem i have is all the grease, i ilke to skim off as much as i can but it seems to be mixed in with the beans and not on the surface like if i made a soup. i probably would have better success skimming the grease if i cooked the hocks by themselves first. oh well next time.

5. Remander

Remander

If you get grease on top of soup or other dish, you can suck it off the top with some old bread. Works great.

6. hispeedlodrag

hispeedlodrag needs vacation

Just remember, if you use too much salty meat in legumes at the beginning of cooking you can end up with legumes that will never be tender.
    Dm's version will avoid hard bean syndrome.