close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bought some new toys

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by nickg, Jan 9, 2006.

1. nickg

nickg

i decided to take the plunge and buy some new toys to play with. got them from Tiger Direct.

i wanted to get an mp3 player but didn't want to spend another $400 for an iPod (after i just bought one for my son for Christmas). so i decided to get a Toshiba 10G unit for $199. that will work just fine for my purposes.

plus i wanted some new speakers and sound card for my computer too so i got these.

Turtle Beach Catalina sound card: $49.99
    Logitech speakers: $34.99

once again, these will more than suffice for me.

all of these products got good customer reviews from those who have purchased them. i usually put more credence into that than some website or magazine review.

so here is what i got coming. jeez...you GOTTA spend some money on yourself once in a while. :) :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

I like the Turtle Beach cards too.You should mount it far from your graphics card.Next to the bottom may be the best position.Often the bottom PCI slot shares an IRQ with the the video card.This really shouldn't be a factor with Windows XP but no sense in relying on XP to sort it out.The distance thing is a physical factor so the currents in the cards don't interfer with each other.The second from bottom PCI slot is usually the best spot for the sound card.

I don't know which sound card you had before.I'm guessing onboard,which shouldn't be a problem.Just disable it in the BIOS.If it's a Sound Blaster card,the Sound Blaster drivers are sometimes difficult to completely uninstall with Windows XP.They can cause trouble.That's the main reason I like Turtle Beach,that and the TB don't have the "popping" problems that the Sound Blaster sometimes have in XP.The Sound Blasters normally do use a tiny bit less CPU resouces but that difference is very very minor.

3. Furant

Furant Millennium Member

Listen to DC, he knows what he's talking about. He correctly diagnosed and made recommendations that helped me fix interference I was having between my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz and my Video Card. I still owe him a beer for that.

4. nickg

nickg

yeah, the sound is on board so there shouldn't be a problem. i just want to make sure everything is up and running properly before i disable the onboad chip.

it's an Intel A97 audio chip.

as soon as i get this stuff paid off i think i'm going to upgrade to a new video card too as the video is also on board. i HATE that crap!!!

plus i'm looking at a new 19-21" LCD monitor too.

i wish i could add more ram but my system is maxed out at 512MB. :( and i don't feel like messing around getting a new MOBO because then i'll spend MORE money probably 'cause i'll also want to upgrade my processor too!!!

if i can't afford a new 60" HDTV i might as well get some new computer stuff though. ;f ;f

5. nickg

nickg

got everything set up last night. the speakers ROCK!!

there are some great features with the sound card and some cool programs.

played around with the MP3 player a little just setting things up but didn't spend a whole lot of time with it.

unfortunately i think i'm stuck running the sound card and MP3 programs in windows as i don't think either of the programs will run in Linspire. DAMN!!!!!!!! :( :(

my wife walked in and saw the shipping box and said "what's this from?"

i told her "from the stuff laying next to it."

she just gave me that "buying stuff without telling me again..." look. ;f ;f so what else is new? ? ?

6. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Was Linspire installed before the sound card?You run the CD live and see if it reconizes the sound card.That sound card may be too new for most Linux.That is one downside of Turtle Beach.Not as popular as Creative Sound Blaster.If Linspire was installed before the sound card and if the live CD reconizes it you need to reconfigure the sound card driver in Linspire.MP3's do play in Linspire but I'm not sure how it handles the Toshiba player.Which version of Linspire do you have?5.0.59?5.0.347?

7. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

How does the Toshiba MP3 player connect?USB?Linspire 5.0.347 is newer than 5.0.59 and is suppose to have updates and some bug fixes from 5.0.59 but I think 5.0.347 has some USB driver problems and some browser crashing problems.I downloaded 5.0.59 last Sept when there was a free download weekend and in Nov-Dec,Linspire Italy had a free download of 5.0.347.That took me 15 hours to download but I think that link is still good.

8. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Open the terminal program and run the command alsaconf and set up the card this way, then set the mixer values again and see if your card works.

9. nickg

nickg

the card itself works fine in Linspire no problem.

i was just talking about some of the software programs that come with the card that i probably can't load in Linspire.

yeah the MP3 player connects via USB. there are some programs that i may be able to use in Linspire to dump tunes down to it, i just haven't gotten around to experimenting with it yet.

if not, then i'll just use windows and the player software when loading the player...no big deal.

10. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Oh yes.The Windows programs won't run directly in Linux.Linux may have it's own programs to replace many of them though.Do you know which version of Linspire you have?